Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Thunderbolt vs. USB, HDMI, PCIe Cable: How does it compare?


14 Jun 2012   #1
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 
Thunderbolt vs. USB, HDMI, PCIe Cable: How does it compare?

Quote:
Intel's high-speed communications technology is pitted against strong incumbent interfaces -- and the nascent PCI Express Cable could provide more competition.
Read more at:
Thunderbolt vs. USB, HDMI, PCIe Cable: How does it compare? | Business Tech - CNET News


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jun 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Interesting choices ahead, we'll have to wait and see which of the new ones will rise to the top.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2012   #3

Windows 7 Pro x64 / Pro x86 (Netbook)
 
 

And again, my computer upgrade plans have been delayed...

Could tech companies stop introducing new standards for a while so I can actually wait which of them get adopted in the long run? Not that I don't like these new technologies, mind you, but this reminds me of the Compact Flash memory card bet I lost a while ago...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Jun 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thaliur View Post
And again, my computer upgrade plans have been delayed...

Could tech companies stop introducing new standards for a while so I can actually wait which of them get adopted in the long run? Not that I don't like these new technologies, mind you, but this reminds me of the Compact Flash memory card bet I lost a while ago...
But that is the way all casinos work. You are supposed to win just enough so you will keep coming back and spend more money. Most of which will go into the casino's pocket and you end up with rapidly obsoleting eJunk.

I have been working in the computer casino for almost 50 years. Early on, your bets were in the $5000 region for small stuff back when money was still real. Now its likely $10 to $60 of highly inflated phony money. As it is, I would much rather pay $60 phony money for two gig of ram than five $K real money for one K of core.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Ironic that USB was supposed to put an end to the so-called Bus War, I think USB needs a renaming to something more suitable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2012   #6

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Hi there
the best doesn't always win --Betamax / VHS spring to mind.

remember the external micro pci card --that's gone the way of the dodo on new laptops -- some older ones still have a slot for it.

USB3 doesn't seem to have appeared on many laptops yet.

FIREWIRE is dead and buried.

USB2 devices are ubiquitous everywhere -- including mobile phones and the transfer rate is good enough to be "fit for purpose" from things like laptops / small portable devices.

Even if something new does come in -- it will be YEARS before USB2 is phased out.

The emphasis these days is on laptops and mobile devices -- only a few DIY hobbyists and serious gamers actually bother with desktop type machines so the market would be quite small anyway.

I'd like to see more emphasis on improved battery times - especially on smart phones and SOLAR-POWERED mice. Logitech already does an excellent solar powered keyboard K750

cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2012   #7

Windows 7 Pro x64 / Pro x86 (Netbook)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
I'd like to see more emphasis on improved battery times - especially on smart phones and SOLAR-POWERED mice. Logitech already does an excellent solar powered keyboard K750
I like the idea of solar-powered wireless input devices, but I'm not sure if a solar-powered mouse would work well, since it's covered by the user's hand most of the time. A solar powered battery base might work well, though (with a LiPo battery in the mouse, like toy helicopters).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lkgriffith View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thaliur View Post
And again, my computer upgrade plans have been delayed...

Could tech companies stop introducing new standards for a while so I can actually wait which of them get adopted in the long run? Not that I don't like these new technologies, mind you, but this reminds me of the Compact Flash memory card bet I lost a while ago...
But that is the way all casinos work. You are supposed to win just enough so you will keep coming back and spend more money. Most of which will go into the casino's pocket and you end up with rapidly obsoleting eJunk.

I have been working in the computer casino for almost 50 years. Early on, your bets were in the $5000 region for small stuff back when money was still real. Now its likely $10 to $60 of highly inflated phony money. As it is, I would much rather pay $60 phony money for two gig of ram than five $K real money for one K of core.
That is true, the situation has greatly improved. For now though, I think i will follow jimbo45's indirect advice and wait which standard will... well, become the new standard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I just checked this out and to me this appears to be another advanced ripoff for the consumers. Although with 10Gbps transfer speed, the max length for NOW is 3 meters at a price of $89.99, A REAL BARGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2012   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

At least the manufacturer of the system no longer has to spend $0.69 for an extra SATA port. That means they can save $69.00 of the reduction in profit that represents. After all, the customer doesn't know they have a times ten multiplier on the cost of materials added to the final price. The interesting thing is that this will work until the competition discovers they can more than make up for the difference by charging the end customer $40.00 less. Soon the savings will become negative because the customer base will discover value delivered can be had at a much lower price.

That is how it is possible that we can buy a four pound portable battery powered super computer for under $500 that can blow away a multi mega dollar super computer of a decade ago.

The moral to this story is to wait a generation of technology and then buy a second level system. Leave the top of the line on the table. You don't need it. If your ego does, be prepared to spend through the nose for equipment that will become obsolete in less than six months.

This message is created on an eight year old computer with expanded memory taken from old and burned out computer equipment, a for year old low cost graphics card plugged into its second system, and a three year low cost 500 gig ATA drive also plugged into its second system. Running a $50 Windows 7 Home Premium OS also on its second system. The last out of pocket expense was the $50 for Windows 7 at introduction. It works great for my purposes.

Viva la competition!

PS: Windows 8 release preview won't install on my hardware. No problem. I don't want it clogging my system and wouldn't use it if I were able to. I do have it installed as a second partition OS on a four year old laptop for evaluation. It won't be used as a production system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2012   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

What happened to esata. Maybe this is a portable only comparison but I find that my WD mybooks and Seagate freeagent runs wicked fast on esata. Have you all seen the prices for Thunderbolt stuff? Of course it will fall in price but wow......
Ah I'm just thinking hard drives and not all the other toys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Thunderbolt vs. USB, HDMI, PCIe Cable: How does it compare?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Thunderbolt vs. USB, HDMI, PCIe Cable: How does it compare?
Thread Forum
hdmi cable to LG tv no audio Sound & Audio
Solved HDMI cable General Discussion
TV not working with HDMI cable Hardware & Devices
HDMI-DVI Cable to LCD TV Graphic Cards
HDMI Cable Graphic Cards
Compare USB to DVI HDMI VGA Video Adapter Graphic Cards
No sound through the HDMI cable Sound & Audio

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33