Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Resale of Used Software Licenses Legal in EU


10 Jul 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 
Resale of Used Software Licenses Legal in EU

Quote:
Europe's highest court ruled on Tuesday that the trading of "used" software licenses is legal and that the author of such software cannot oppose any resale.
Source: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...en_online.html

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Jul 2012   #2

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Hi there
This of course doesn't in any case invalidate the "Activation" of Windows on more than one computer of course -- although it would be interesting to see how Ms deals with this issue.

You could legally say to Ms that the software has been removed from computer X (which is what the Court ruling requires you to do) and install on computer Y. (Phone activation required and only a RETAIL copy).

This rather hideously opens the way for Piracy -- expect to see a lot more Windows versions with "dubious pedigree" for sale soon --even more dubious versions of expensive software like Adobe Photoshop will also appear soon too -- as in all these things "Caveat Emptor" applies.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2012   #3

 

Eh, I'm more worried about scumbag DRM implementations - mostly because I'm a gamer.

1. Buy game
2. Play it until finished/bored/etc
3. Sell to friend
4. DRM prevents friend from installing
5. ????
6. PROFIT FAIL

This is why I hate those digital distribution methods that don't really give you the "whole" product. I have games I bought in the mid-1990s that still work (!!) because their publishers used a straightforward CP (cd key) implementation that does not depend on them being around to Big Brother everything. Hell, many of those companies even don't exist anymore.

Back on topic, even with this ruling, they can comply by "allowing" you to resell it, but it doesn't force them to let the subsequent purchaser to actually make use of it. It's like buying a secondhand car, and then having to go to GM because your car engine won't start without their say so despite the transaction having nothing to do with them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Jul 2012   #4

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Trucidation View Post
This is why I hate those digital distribution methods that don't really give you the "whole" product. I have games I bought in the mid-1990s that still work (!!) because their publishers used a straightforward CP (cd key) implementation that does not depend on them being around to Big Brother everything.
I can't stand products that force you to be connected to the internet while it is in use (internet connection required to play). I shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to prove I'm a legit customer. I tend not to buy those products.

Understandably, I went way off topic.

I'm not sure if I favor this ruling or not. I would be interested to know all potential consequences of such a ruling.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 
The "Cloud"

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
I can't stand products that force you to be connected to the internet while it is in use (internet connection required to play). I shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to prove I'm a legit customer. I tend not to buy those products.
If more people refused to buy such products, the practice would cease (i.e. the companies would stop doing it and/or they'd go out of business).

The next move will be moving all games (and other software) to the "Cloud".
You get nothing and you pay a subscription to access the game (and other software).
This is why software makers are pushing the "Cloud" so hard.

This is why I say everyone should boycott the "Cloud".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2012   #6

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Don't even get me started on subscription fees...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2012   #7

Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1
 
 

Europe is really showing the world how it should be done in matters relating to technology.

Previously, their courts took Intel and Microsoft to task for their anti comptetive and criminal corporate behaviour.

Then, their parliment rejects ACTA, and now this? Kudos to them for this ruling, I say!

Shame on you America for ACTA and all those other pro-corporation BS rulings!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Trucidation View Post

This is why I hate those digital distribution methods that don't really give you the "whole" product. I have games I bought in the mid-1990s that still work (!!) because their publishers used a straightforward CP (cd key) implementation that does not depend on them being around to Big Brother everything. Hell, many of those companies even don't exist anymore.
GOG.com

Any further questions?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2012   #8

 

Yes, I love GOG.com and their ilk.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
If more people refused to buy such products, the practice would cease (i.e. the companies would stop doing it and/or they'd go out of business).
It's already too late... there's already a wide audience for this crap. We might feel attached to our purchases, but there are tons more people who play $0.99 "Angry Bird" caliber games and think nothing of buying into a vendor-locked anti-consumer product.

You can fleece these suckers of their money every single time and all they do is whine for a couple of seconds until they get distracted by the next Big Content trailer featuring a girl with her tits hanging out and explosions in the background.

I won't be surprised if the next generation consoles turn out to be bricks that only do anything when the server at the other end of the connection feels pleased with the money you fed it. I mean, you probably read the recent articles about Sony contemplating "100% digital distribution"? That's right, a cloud console: no discs, nothing on your end, ever. Bet this concept has Sony jizzing its collective pants, they finally get to control everything, all you can do is sell them your soul via monthly subscription. Games, movies, music, you buy everything from them.

And you'll like it.

Because Sony says so.

Name:  i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  35.6 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #9

Win7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Trucidation View Post
Yes, I love GOG.com and their ilk.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
If more people refused to buy such products, the practice would cease (i.e. the companies would stop doing it and/or they'd go out of business).
It's already too late... there's already a wide audience for this crap. We might feel attached to our purchases, but there are tons more people who play $0.99 "Angry Bird" caliber games and think nothing of buying into a vendor-locked anti-consumer product.

You can fleece these suckers of their money every single time and all they do is whine for a couple of seconds until they get distracted by the next Big Content trailer featuring a girl with her tits hanging out and explosions in the background.

I won't be surprised if the next generation consoles turn out to be bricks that only do anything when the server at the other end of the connection feels pleased with the money you fed it. I mean, you probably read the recent articles about Sony contemplating "100% digital distribution"? That's right, a cloud console: no discs, nothing on your end, ever. Bet this concept has Sony jizzing its collective pants, they finally get to control everything, all you can do is sell them your soul via monthly subscription. Games, movies, music, you buy everything from them.

And you'll like it.

Because Sony says so.

Attachment 221123

Sounds like Apple too

No wonder M$ wants part of the action.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

The internet/cloud has no place in single player games, 'nuff said.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Resale of Used Software Licenses Legal in EU




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Resale of Used Software Licenses Legal in EU
Thread Forum
Promotional Win 7 Ultimate Not for Resale General Discussion
Legal Questions of Software licences Chillout Room
Easiest way to securely wipe hard drive and reformat laptop for resale General Discussion
Legality of buying licenses from student MSDN accounts for resale General Discussion
Windows 7 Licenses Installation & Setup
WMP Licenses? Music, Pictures & Video
Free MS Software (Legal) - DreamSpark Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33