Quote: Originally Posted by 0pTicaL
Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah
reading through the comments this one was the only decent comment, poor kids family will be devastated.
The lack of respect here for the death of a young person is saddening. He was a geek like the rest of us and his death was accidental. He could've grown to be the next Steve Jobs and his family is likely crushed. RIP. Posted by kurokitsune
His death is tragic, yes, but he was not a geek. A real geek would have known better. A real geek would know how to discharge all remaining power before working on a PSU. Just like people who clean windows on skyscrapers know they should be wearing a safety harness at all times.
Apparently in the tech field, too often you see people who think they know it all, and sadly this is one of the more extreme results.
I have to somewhat disagree as all of us DON'T necessarily use safe practices while working around electronics. We should, but most of us just take for granted it won't happen since I've done this a thousand times. And when stories like this pop up we realize how lucky we were, and hopefully get back to the basics of safety.
That said, as a youngster I got a good jolt messing with the high voltage fly back wire on a picture tube. Taught me a good lesson about that wire! Thank god I'm still here. Recently while performing some repairs on my 40 inch CRT tubed TV, I made darn sure I discharged that cap.
I also have to admit I’ve opened up a few power supplies and poked around myself
Anyway, it's good that Brink posted this as a reminder that we can't take electricity for granted... even in a computer. Hopefully some learn from this tragedy.