Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Delaying Windows Upgrades: Do You Feel Lucky?


24 Oct 2012   #21

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 
Same here

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I guess I will be lost. I have never owned a Tablet or a cell phone.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
Dang, I thought I was the only one East of the Mississippi River with no cell phone or Tablet!
Whether or not I'm "East of the Mississippi River", depends on your point of view.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Oct 2012   #22

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dallas 7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
I try to stay away from third party software that makes changes to the OS. But I have not noticed any complaints about classic shell, not that I have been looking.

Happy with Windows 7 for now!

Windows 7 doesn't need Classic Shell because it was done right to begin with, unlike W8.
So the question begs to be asked.......Why buy W8 and use Classic Shell to make it look more like Windows 7???

I'm with you bumpkin, W8 is a downgrade from Windows 7.
Classic shell was created in first place because Windows 7 was NOT designed right, as they've removed many useful features in start menu and mainly Windows Explorer, without giving an option to change it back. Classic shell in fact turn the UI of Windows 7 into WinXP, and also turns Win8 into WinXP.
Since I use my computer for real life work, I cannot stand a barebones Windows 7 and its unfriendly menu and explorer, therefore it IS a must.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2012   #23

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I guess I will be lost. I have never owned a Tablet or a cell phone.
The only thing I use a tablet for is to cure the headache from trying to cope with Metro
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Oct 2012   #24

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dallas 7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post

Most people have used a smart phone and/or tablet, Windows 8 is a very small step from there.
"You can't teach an old dog new tricks"
Only if the old dog doesn't want to learn something new.
It takes less than 5 minutes to learn the new UI, most important is getting to the Desktop.
I find the new UI useful for a couple of things, kinda like a dock program, like something from Stardock.
The actual improvements and benefits (not counting the new UI) are very good.
Been using Windows 8 for over a year, primary for about 7 months.
Good enough for this old dog, with new tricks

That's exactly the problem, it was DESIGNED for smart phones and tablets, not desktop PCs.
They could probably design a mouse to use for your smart phone too, but it might be kinda awkward because smart phones weren't designed to be used with a mouse!
Neither were desktops designed for a tablet OS.
It wasn't designed for smart phones but, it does have a similar UI. The Windows RT tablets will have the same UI as one of the UIs in the laptop/desktop and 86-tablets. That is what MS is trying to do, make the interface similar for the average user, their thinking is it will make using a Windows smart phone, tablet and laptop/desktop more in sync and easier to use.

This will be a little bit harder for some of the laptop/desktop users and for sure the enthusiasts to accept and embrace.
I understand completely that many won't want to buy and install Windows 8, due to the new UI change, MS realizes this but have decided to move in that direction anyway, it's a calculated risk to say the least.
As a company they have recognized that they need to move into the tablet market and make some pretty big changes in order to stay relevant, or risk loosing market share.

I think they should have made an option to boot to the desktop and provide a way to enable the old start menu, this would have made Windows 8 acceptable to a lot more people.
Maybe it will come in an update or SP1. It will depend on sales and MS's determination to push the new UI.

I put the desktop tile in the top left corner of the start screen, when I enter the password, immediately hit enter and I'm on the desktop, which is where I spend +99% of my time, easy.
The advantages of Windows 8, in my opinion, make it my choice for primary.
Your mileage may vary.

The greatest thing about your choice of OS is that you can decide, as it should be.
I to have made my choice, it's all good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Oct 2012   #25

windows seven
 
 

I will adopt it here at home. It will probably some time before we look at it where I work. To each his own. I am sure there are many XP machines still out there, and I bet some of them users are lurking here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Oct 2012   #26

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 
New Use For XP

I have XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10 on my PC.
I just found a new use for my XP install, so it will be getting some more "Love".

WLE Photogallery goes berserk in Windows 7 (because of the b@&%$# Libraries ).

WLE Photogallery is controllable in XP, as XP doesn't have Libraries.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2012   #27

Windows 7 professional 64
 
 

Most businesses do not switch to a new Windows Desktop operating system until the first Service Pack. That lets MS get the major bugs out and lets the software makers catch up. So I suggest personal users adopt the same strategy on their computers they depend on. If you want to experiment with it do it with at least a separate hardisk. Complete separate computer is best.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Delaying Windows Upgrades: Do You Feel Lucky?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Delaying Windows Upgrades: Do You Feel Lucky?
Thread Forum
Removing/Delaying Tooltips Customization
Suggestions for delaying Startup programs- my new SSD is too fast! General Discussion
Purposely delaying PC OS startup question General Discussion
Look and Feel of Windows XP Customization
Windows 7 Feel Faster? Performance & Maintenance
can I feel safe with windows 7!? System Security
How we really designed the look and feel of Windows 7 News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33