Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Win 7 still tops

14 Dec 2012   #21
Microsoft MVP

 

Double-checking I guess it's Firefox which is opening it, but it doesnt' open that small in Windows 7.

Original:
Win 7 still tops-capture1.png

Click on it to enlarge in Win8:
Win 7 still tops-capture3.png



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Dec 2012   #22

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP 1
 
 

Quote:
Double-checking I guess it's Firefox which is opening it, but it doesnt' open that small in Windows 7
I see. I use IE10 so that must make the difference. Thanks for the reply. You had me curious as to why I wasn't experiencing the same problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2012   #23

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

It might be Firefox doing that Greg, one of your posts I saw today had a small Disk Management pic, when I clicked on it, it opened in a new window and was the same size or a little smaller. Have not seen that before on this site.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Dec 2012   #24

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit)
 
 
Here is a PCWorld article

Quote:
With just a week left in the month, Windows 8ís usage uptake has slipped behind Vistaís at the same point in its release, data from a Web measurement company showed.
...
Windows 8ís uptake was even more sluggish when compared to Windows 7, the 2009 operating system that has flourished as much as Vista flopped.
PCWorld
Windows 8's uptake falls behind Vista's pace | PCWorld
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #25

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Interesting to say the least. It doesn't surprise me though and I'm not sure I agree totally with the authors seemingly "alibi -ish" reasons for the difference. 7 is just more...... "more" to paraphrase Rimmer. (Sorry....inside joke for any Red Dwarf fans)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #26
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote:
With just a week left in the month, Windows 8’s usage uptake has slipped behind Vista’s at the same point in its release, data from a Web measurement company showed.
...
Windows 8’s uptake was even more sluggish when compared to Windows 7, the 2009 operating system that has flourished as much as Vista flopped.
PCWorld
Windows 8's uptake falls behind Vista's pace | PCWorld

A user named Steven Sinofsky using his picture posted a comment saying it is all a lot Apple fanboy bunk. Would that be MS WIndows President Steven Sinofsky who left last month? Doubtful, but funny.

The solution for Win8 is to put its explorer improvements into SP2 for Windows 7 and keep it providing the perfect Desktop experience for users who nearly unanimously love it. Give all new Win8 PC's Upgrade rights to Windows 7, or a choice. Only sell Win8 retail or pre-installed to touchscreens. This could be done pretty easily and nearly unnoticed except to insiders. Windows 7 sales would keep climbing, Win8 popularity wouldn't be such a disaster and might shake out with more touchscreens coming online (soon?).

Is MS listening? We'll have to see.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #27

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
The solution for Win8 is to put its explorer improvements into SP2 for Windows 7 and keep it providing the perfect Desktop experience for users who nearly unanimously love it. Give all new Win8 PC's Upgrade rights to Windows 7, or a choice. Only sell Win8 retail or pre-installed to touchscreens. This could be done pretty easily and nearly unnoticed except to insiders. Windows 7 sales would keep climbing, Win8 popularity wouldn't be such a disaster and might shake out with more touchscreens coming online (soon?).

Is MS listening? We'll have to see.
+1 You're using a lot of logic and common sense, Greg. MS doesn't seem inclined to use either when it comes to Windows 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #28

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote:
With just a week left in the month, Windows 8’s usage uptake has slipped behind Vista’s at the same point in its release, data from a Web measurement company showed.
...
Windows 8’s uptake was even more sluggish when compared to Windows 7, the 2009 operating system that has flourished as much as Vista flopped.
PCWorld
Windows 8's uptake falls behind Vista's pace | PCWorld

A user named Steven Sinofsky using his picture posted a comment saying it is all a lot Apple fanboy bunk. Would that be MS WIndows President Steven Sinofsky who left last month? Doubtful, but funny.

The solution for Win8 is to put its explorer improvements into SP2 for Windows 7 and keep it providing the perfect Desktop experience for users who nearly unanimously love it. Give all new Win8 PC's Upgrade rights to Windows 7, or a choice. Only sell Win8 retail or pre-installed to touchscreens. This could be done pretty easily and nearly unnoticed except to insiders. Windows 7 sales would keep climbing, Win8 popularity wouldn't be such a disaster and might shake out with more touchscreens coming online (soon?).

Is MS listening? We'll have to see.
I always wondered why they don't just have a "Windows" rather than windows 7,8,9....

It would seem logical to continue to improve on a "perfected" platform and add updates or service packs to include new features and such. I loved XP, but not as much as 7 and I was willing to pay for the new features. If they could take your idea and of course from a profit stand point, have a payment option to activate a major update such as touch screen capabilities (if at all possible to do through downloads), MS could still make a profit, as I'm sure people would be willing to pay $20 or so as opposed to setting up shop on a new OS, but not have to go through a process such as this or vista.

Build an empire and continue to expand it, not split it into factions. Of course you can still conquer other areas, but better to do so as a whole rather than have PC users divided.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #29

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

@bberkey1
Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, and 8 are all upgrades building on Windows NT 4.0, which in turn is a flavor of Windows alongside others like Windows 9x which has Windows 98 and ME stemming from Windows 95. Windows 7 is to Ubuntu 12 as Windows Vista is to Ubuntu 11 and so forth; we already have what you describe, just under a different version numbering system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #30

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
@bberkey1
Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, and 8 are all upgrades building on Windows NT 4.0, which in turn is a flavor of Windows alongside others like Windows 9x which has Windows 98 and ME stemming from Windows 95. Windows 7 is to Ubuntu 12 as Windows Vista is to Ubuntu 11 and so forth; we already have what you describe, just under a different version numbering system.
I see. Thanks for the info King.

If this is the current system, then why continue to add flavors to the mix and instead just have one omni-flavor if you will? I know as you said these are all add ins to the NT 4.0, but would it be possible to no longer have to install a new OS, but rather just update from your computer to get the new features that they would have included to a new flavor?

So if windows 7 was the final OS add on, and MS said "we will just continue to add to this flavor like a giant ball of twine, updating and tweaking through downloads and do away with any more future flavors" That way there would no longer be a need for a separate windows flavor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 7 still tops





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33