Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8


14 Feb 2013   #111

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

I understand the point you are making, as well as many other points that are being made.
MS is not the only company doing this, they are late to the 'game' as usual, others like apple, google and more have been doing this for a while.
I didn't like Internet email when it first came out, but use it now.

There are 'some' aspects of the so called cloud services that are very convenient, syncing my MS accounts so they are the same on my different systems is a time saver.
There are a lot of things I don't like about the direction this is headed, and agree that many will fall into it unknowingly, hope it doesn't go too far.

If this trend goes too far, I will jump ship.
Defining 'too far' will be different for everyone.

Like I have mentioned before, everyone should run the OS they like.
I remember when Windows 7 came out, some people would come here to bash it, most members liked it and tried to help them understand it, but some wouldn't take the time and effort. Some went back to XP or Vista, if that's what they want then it's good for them.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Thing is Dave, it is not really about how usable metro is or not. It's not about a learning curve.

It is about what w8 is for and the effect it may have.

W8 is trying to lead people online for everything.

That is why they keep shoving the start screen at you and exhorting you to get an MS account.

The aim is to get people into a subscription based service - with control of all you can run being handled by MS. There are all kinds of unpleasant results , cost, control, privacy for example.

They don't put that in the commercials - the user is not supposed to notice. They are supposed to get sucked in gradually.

It might be good for MS . It is very bad for everyone else.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joan Archer View Post
Its a new OS so of course there are going to be those that like and those that hate. Remember the hullabaloo trying to get rid of XP when they brought new ones out and it's still going for some.

It looks like its going to be the same now with 7.

I like it, in fact I'm using it now, I have a group of tiles that relate to my most used forums and just a click takes me straight in already logged in ready to go.

OK still finding things out but there are lots of things quicker than 7 and I like how quick it boots.

You're never going to get everyone to agree about it, but that would be boring if they did. Just use what makes you happy and what works for you.
Very well stated Joan, I agree completely, use what you like.


For any reason someone doesn't like it, which is an individual choice, it's good enough. Repeatedly bashing it just makes them look ... antagonistic.
Let's let everyone make their own choice.

Just because someone has a learning curve with a new OS doesn't make it bad, every new OS I have ever used has a learning curve.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Feb 2013   #112

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Dave,

I am also not keen on all the surveillance.

Sending back details of the software you download and install is not on.

As far as I know, it goes to MS and a brand protection agency. We have yet to get to the bottom of whatever else is going on - without your knowledge.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2013   #113

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

There are things going on that we, the users, need to know about, hopefully someone will find a way to confirm them and when exposed give us a way to keep our privacy.
Agree that this is a serious concern.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Feb 2013   #114

W7 X-64 RTM,SUSE 11.1, XP PRO SP3 as a VM, VMware ESXi
 
 

Hi there

This feature that Ms seems to be pushing more and more will effect Windows 7 users too.
Ms seems to be going towards a "Subscription Base" for its products -- like Office 365.

If you look at Office 2013 -- It's now PERMANENTLY LICENSED to a SINGLE machine -- which means you CANNOT move it to a new machine if you get a new computer.

Office 2010 allows you to do this -- and IMO so should ALL APPLICATION software. - Otherwise it's going backwards back to the bad old DRM days --you have a load of music say on an Ipod --you want a new one -- but you can't copy / move your music to the new device. That business model has been totally discredited and just encouraged piracy big time.

Application software can easily outlive an OS or even the original machine it's installed on so it should be moveable.

(I'm just going on the wording of the licenses of office 2010 and 2013 where the 2013 version specifically mentions PERMANENTLY. As written this means you CAN'T move / transfer Office 2013 to a new machine --Ms hasn't actually confirmed this yet but an answer is expected any time soon).

Hopefully someone experienced in Ms Licensing can confirm or refute the above --please --will be grateful for a definitive answer.

Subscription models are the way Ms is relentlessly pushing us -- but I won't be going down that route.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #115

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Maybe this will prompt OpenOffice, LibreOffice, et al to be even more compatible with MS Office products. And maybe greater compatibility will lead to greater acceptance by individuals and corporations. Just saying . . .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #116

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 
Unfortunately

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
If you look at Office 2013 -- It's now PERMANENTLY LICENSED to a SINGLE machine -- which means you CANNOT move it to a new machine if you get a new computer.

Office 2010 allows you to do this -- and IMO so should ALL APPLICATION software. - Otherwise it's going backwards back to the bad old DRM days --you have a load of music say on an Ipod --you want a new one -- but you can't copy / move your music to the new device. That business model has been totally discredited and just encouraged piracy big time.
In fact, Pirates and Hackers will see this as a challenge to be overcome.
It will provide them with even more incentive to "stick it to the man".

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Subscription models are the way Ms is relentlessly pushing us -- but I won't be going down that route.
Unfortunately, you and I (and the other esteemed members of this forum) won't be able to hold back the tide of moronic consumers.

"There's a sucker born every minute." (This phrase is often credited to P.T. Barnum, the actual authorship is unclear).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #117

Windows 7 Ultimate x86/32bit Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
If you look at Office 2013 -- It's now PERMANENTLY LICENSED to a SINGLE machine -- which means you CANNOT move it to a new machine if you get a new computer.

Office 2010 allows you to do this -- and IMO so should ALL APPLICATION software. - Otherwise it's going backwards back to the bad old DRM days --you have a load of music say on an Ipod --you want a new one -- but you can't copy / move your music to the new device. That business model has been totally discredited and just encouraged piracy big time.
I agree. It'd be quite troublesome when one gets a new PC.

For me, the metro tiles just don't suit my taste - It's too touch screen oriented (Imagine if you have to scroll right, not scroll down. funny, that feels weird! ). I've tried on a 13 inch notebook using Win8, and it's not comfortable for me lol. But then, it's up to the user choice - as of now, I'm using Windows 8 3rd party theme. Win8 wins me for its simplicity of UI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #118

 
 

I don't mind 8 at all - in fact I don't even have Seven on my sig rig any more.

97% of the time I have nothing to do with Metro. It's just another fancy shortcut screen to me. The lack of Aero I'm over. However the explorer improvements/dialog boxes + other stuff make up for it.

Most of the time it feels like I'm in a skinned and tweaked Seven anyway. The OS itself is fine. It's certainly not perfect and there are a few concerning 'issues', but it's not shit.


The direction MS is heading however, is. Bill needs to come out of retirement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #119

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Thing is Dave, it is not really about how usable metro is or not. It's not about a learning curve.

It is about what w8 is for and the effect it may have.

W8 is trying to lead people online for everything.

That is why they keep shoving the start screen at you and exhorting you to get an MS account.

The aim is to get people into a subscription based service - with control of all you can run being handled by MS. There are all kinds of unpleasant results , cost, control, privacy for example.

They don't put that in the commercials - the user is not supposed to notice. They are supposed to get sucked in gradually.

It might be good for MS . It is very bad for everyone else.




Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joan Archer View Post
Its a new OS so of course there are going to be those that like and those that hate. Remember the hullabaloo trying to get rid of XP when they brought new ones out and it's still going for some.

It looks like its going to be the same now with 7.

I like it, in fact I'm using it now, I have a group of tiles that relate to my most used forums and just a click takes me straight in already logged in ready to go.

OK still finding things out but there are lots of things quicker than 7 and I like how quick it boots.

You're never going to get everyone to agree about it, but that would be boring if they did. Just use what makes you happy and what works for you.
Very well stated Joan, I agree completely, use what you like.


For any reason someone doesn't like it, which is an individual choice, it's good enough. Repeatedly bashing it just makes them look ... antagonistic.
Let's let everyone make their own choice.

Just because someone has a learning curve with a new OS doesn't make it bad, every new OS I have ever used has a learning curve.
Good point Google has me tied to all my devices and any device that has my account on it will send it to everything and if it is something for private eyes only google has pretty much taken that away good observation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #120

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

@Marsimar,

It might.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Maybe this will prompt OpenOffice, LibreOffice, et al to be even more compatible with MS Office products. And maybe greater compatibility will lead to greater acceptance by individuals and corporations. Just saying . . .
@ Jimbo,

Yes that is the way they are trying to lead us.

There might be a few situations where some will be better off renting software- they will be held up as examples of how wonderful it is.

Clearly MS is doing this for their own benefit. Therefore overall - it will be more expensive and less flexible for most people.

I agree with you.

Avoid it like the plague.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33