Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8

24 Jul 2013   #1571
gregrocker

 

I understand gamers often need the full GPU software package, particularly for overclocking.

I'm interested in adding a Special Note for Lenovo Owners in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 that concisely explain the benefits of keeping this software. Is there anything besides Power Manager and Boot Optimizer, and is there a download for Boot Optimizer?. Any suggested blurbs would be especially appreciated.

I agree that the generic placeholder Standard VGA driver should never be acceptable and have only seen it settled for once in thousands of installs. However we've found OEM chipsets that gave problems which didn't happen with the Windows drivers. Especially for consumers it's proven over time to be best to stick with the Windows Drivers until they prove problematic or in exceptional cases like you've made us aware of here.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Jul 2013   #1572
Scoop

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Take a sneak peek at this now and again.
Attachment 277846
Thanks for that screencap. That's a fast way to check on custom Tasks in the Scheduler.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Curious. I bought my first Win 7 machine (Lenovo G570 notebook) a little over a year ago while on a trip visiting friends. I didn't fire it up until I got home because I was expecting a really steep learning curve. I was pleasantly surprised. I was up and running and fully functional in minutes. I normally have trouble learning new things but the transition from XP to Win 7 was almost seamless. Of course, these fora helped considerably.

Win 8 is a whole 'nuther story.
I was the same when I jumped from XP to 7. I was a little concerned about the transition before buying my 7 PC but once I had it tweeked in, it's been great. MS got it right this time. The search boxes in 7 (Control Pnl, etc) made it much faster and easier for me vs XP and so far, I've not seen any instability, crashes, etc.

Going into my 4th year on the 7 Desktop, it's been error-free.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2013   #1573
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I understand gamers often need the full GPU software package, particularly for overclocking.

I'm interested in adding a Special Note for Lenovo Owners in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 that concisely explain the benefits of keeping this software. Is there anything besides Power Manager and Boot Optimizer, and is there a download for Boot Optimizer?. Any suggested blurbs would be especially appreciated.

I agree that the generic placeholder Standard VGA driver should never be acceptable and have only seen it settled for once in thousands of installs. However we've found OEM chipsets that gave problems which didn't happen with the Windows drivers. Especially for consumers it's proven over time to be best to stick with the Windows Drivers until they prove problematic or in exceptional cases like you've made us aware of here.
I never could find out for sure which was the correct download for Boot Optimizer. Boot Optimizer has to be tailored for each Lenovo model because it interacts with Win 7 and various supporting software and drivers so they will together at their best. I found it one heckuvalot easier to just use the factory reinstall. I've own two commercial desktops and three netbooks from three different manufacturers (Gateway, Acer, and Asus) and those all had a large amount of carpware that had to be removed. All Lenovo had that could be classified as crapware was the Lenovo Game Console and McAfee (forgot to mention it earlier). The Game Console was easy to ditch and it didn't take long to find, download, and implement the removal tool for McAfee. The whole process was much simpler than manually clean installing Win 7.

Normally, I would agree a clean install of Win 7 is better but Lenovo (at least the G570) is definitely an exception.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jul 2013   #1574
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Guildedwings View Post
I'm not gonna lie. Windows 8 should be aimed more towards tablets and not as an actual desktop OS. Microsoft has been doing a lot of messed up stuff after their release.
Yep I agree Wings I reckon they should have stuck to tried and trusted methods and developed a system for separate use with those other thingys, and just made 7 a bit more faster.

As it is I think they lost a lot of kudos mucking around like they have and it must be costing a fortune to get things back into shape.

Personally I work in a health dept that has just gone over to 7 from XP and mate a majority of the staff do not know how to use a computer let alone work a system. So in my mind 8 in the Metro format is and always will be an absolute disaster in that using it on the computers as a main stay of data collection and reference especially the line of work I am in just that our workload has become ever greater and more complex. (I might add the main push in my profession is one of electronically recording just about everything now and for the future period.)

Going from XP to 7 has been more challenging even to those who can use the computers than anyone could imagined let alone those who are computer illiterate. So add to that the inability of the workforce to operate a computer let alone the system is nothing short of madness.

This is just one instance where I think that Microsoft haven't or didn't see coming hence the furore there is around the 8 system now, and I am only talking of my work place, there must be more work places so affected. In fact that yours, mine and everyones health for that matter could be put at risk by ever more complicated methods and systems that an average worker cannot use with confidence, efficiency and most scary of all anyone's safety.
Curious. I bought my first Win 7 machine (Lenovo G570 notebook) a little over a year ago while on a trip visiting friends. I didn't fire it up until I got home because I was expecting a really steep learning curve. I was pleasantly surprised. I was up and running and fully functional in minutes. I normally have trouble learning new things but the transition from XP to Win 7 was almost seamless. Of course, these fora helped considerably.

Win 8 is a whole 'nuther story.
Yep Lady Fitz but I work with folks who either have just used a computer to play simple games or Ebay on or have never switched one on because they have been trained to care for folks with health problems and have no interest in computers - plus I reckon there must be other types of business or work situations where a similar set up is in place.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2013   #1575
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Normally, I would agree a clean install of Win 7 is better but Lenovo (at least the G570) is definitely an exception.
My first thought is that you must go to a re-education camp to be shown endless videos of a Win7 Clean Reinstall's superior performance, however since it's Our Lady I instead added this to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 pending your approval:

Note   Note

Special Note for Lenovo Owners

Download for the Power Manager which has a feature that will not let the battery fall below 50% is here: Power Manager for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook

At least for the G570 our colleague Lady Fitzgerald reports that both the Power Manager and Boot Optimizer make keeping the Factory Install worthwhile since it is not that bloated and cleans up easily. Clean Up Factory Bloatware

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2013   #1576
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Normally, I would agree a clean install of Win 7 is better but Lenovo (at least the G570) is definitely an exception.
My first thought is that you must go to a re-education camp to be shown endless videos of a Win7 Clean Reinstall's superior performance, however since it's Our Lady I instead added this to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 pending your approval:

Note   Note

Special Note for Lenovo Owners

Download for the Power Manager which has a feature that will not let the battery fall below 50% is here: Power Manager for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook

At least for the G570 our colleague Lady Fitzgerald reports that both the Power Manager and Boot Optimizer make keeping the Factory Install worthwhile since it is not that bloated and cleans up easily. Clean Up Factory Bloatware

Looks good to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2013   #1577
Wenda

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (VM).
 
 

Well, speaking from my personal experience, this Acer laptop had very little in the way of crapware or bloatware on it when purchased. But then, it is (was) a top-end model aimed at the professional/expert user, not the average content-consumer.

But yes, I did end up doing a clean install anyway.


Wenda.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2013   #1578
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I believe you can generally clean the so called "crapware" away without too much effort before needing to do a clean install. We need to accept that some users would be very nervous with a "clean install".
Given most OEM PCs will now come with W8 my question is - how easy is it to do a clean install?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2013   #1579
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
Well, speaking from my personal experience, this Acer laptop had very little in the way of crapware or bloatware on it when purchased. But then, it is (was) a top-end model aimed at the professional/expert user, not the average content-consumer.

But yes, I did end up doing a clean install anyway.


Wenda.
That Acer may have been clean but the two Acer netbooks and the one Acer desktop I had were practically bursting at the seams with crapware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2013   #1580
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
Well, speaking from my personal experience, this Acer laptop had very little in the way of crapware or bloatware on it when purchased. But then, it is (was) a top-end model aimed at the professional/expert user, not the average content-consumer.

But yes, I did end up doing a clean install anyway.

Wenda.
That Acer may have been clean but the two Acer netbooks and the one Acer desktop I had were practically bursting at the seams with crapware.
Speaking of crapware I have to say my Asus Prime notebook with Windows 8 was relatively free of it. I think I wound up removing like two apps which also included MacAfee, which was replaced in favor of Norton Internet Security.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft confirms enthusiasts' fears: No more Windows Home Server
Read more at: Microsoft confirms enthusiasts' fears: No more versions of Windows Home Server | ZDNet
News
Would You Reject A Pre-Built PC Because Of Windows 8
I found an excellent pre-built PC deal. The system uses quality parts and is cheaper than the cost of the separate parts + shipping by $125.00. Plus, I would have to spend time building the PC. The only problem are is it ships with Windows 8 only. Is Windows 8 a deal killer ?
General Discussion
'Xbox 720' Might Reject Used Games
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2012/01/preowned.jpg Miffed at the possibility that new game consoles could lock out used games? Get used to it. “I’ve heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their...
Chillout Room
Is there a way to force Windows 7 to reject certain hardware?
Hello, all. I have a quick question. :) Right, my little brother has a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate (x32). He also has a PS3 webcam (I forget the actual name of it). He is allowed to use this webcam on his PS3, but not on his computer. The problem is that he keeps defying the rule in...
Hardware & Devices
Mozilla asks EU to reject Microsoft's Windows 7 browser
Source
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App