Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8

27 Mar 2013   #411
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Personal Preference

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
....and you have Win7 with a little bit of Explorer improvement.
In W7, you can have the Details & Preview panes running at the same time.
I could never achieve that with the W8 Preview versions.
I suppose if a user likes the "Ribbon", they could overlook that.

Let's face it, all that the "Ribbon" does is restore the menus and toolbars, that Vista and W7 inexplicably got rid of.

IMO:
  • The Ribbon is awful in everything (except Excel) so the new Explorer doesn't impress me at all
  • 3rd party file managers are better (overall) than Windows Explorer (apart from "Jump List" support)



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Mar 2013   #412
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

You have to learn how to find the "Hidden Mysteries" first like an infant taking the first steps in order to find anything in 8! This is why the blog writers are having a field day bashing 8 while having praised 7 for what it is! A working OS!

Win 8 on the other hand trips the user up where you end up needing the 3rd party help of the growing number of Start menu replacement apps as well as a few others being seen like the ModernMix to windows-wise Metro apps into windows you can close with a click on the X brought back as well as being able to drag to resize each!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #413
Lone Browncoat

2000Pro,XP SP3 x86..W7 on next build
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
You have to learn how to find the "Hidden Mysteries" first like an infant taking the first steps in order to find anything in 8! This is why the blog writers are having a field day bashing 8 while having praised 7 for what it is! A working OS!

Win 8 on the other hand trips the user up where you end up needing the 3rd party
Or blow 40-60 bucks on another big, thick "Que" book!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Mar 2013   #414
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Well some retail outlets like Staples Office Supply stores are offering free lessens when buying any new 8 pc be it a desktop, laptop, or tablet. They realized some help was going to be needed in order to sell anything with 8 on it as well as the OEMs coming up with their own substitutions for the Start menu most will be looking for now gone for good?!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #415
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
....and you have Win7 with a little bit of Explorer improvement.
In W7, you can have the Details & Preview panes running at the same time.
I could never achieve that with the W8 Preview versions.
I suppose if a user likes the "Ribbon", they could overlook that.

Let's face it, all that the "Ribbon" does is restore the menus and toolbars, that Vista and W7 inexplicably got rid of.

IMO:
  • The Ribbon is awful in everything (except Excel) so the new Explorer doesn't impress me at all
  • 3rd party file managers are better (overall) than Windows Explorer (apart from "Jump List" support)
it is possible to have the details and preview pane showing as they did in 7, here is my set up showing just that, however it did take a theme hack to do it.

More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8-27-03-2013-07-25-01.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #416
PaulGo

Windows 10 (64 bit)
 
 

I hope Microsoft will realize the are leaving mant loyal customers scratching their heads in disbelief over what they are doing. I am begining to think current management refuses to believe they can do anythiig wrong. The only solution may be a change of management.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #417
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Aha

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
it is possible to have the details and preview pane showing as they did in 7, here is my set up showing just that, however it did take a theme hack to do it.

Attachment 261265
I meant in an unmodified version of W8.

I've never installed any themes in my Windows installs.
It makes sense that some sort of hack/theme could do it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #418
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Well some retail outlets like Staples Office Supply stores are offering free lessens when buying any new 8 pc be it a desktop, laptop, or tablet. They realized some help was going to be needed in order to sell anything with 8 on it as well as the OEMs coming up with their own substitutions for the Start menu most will be looking for now gone for good?!
Yeah, I was at Staples the other day and wanted to check out their Windows 8 instructions. But at the instructions desk, the PC was disconnected and they had no instructor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #419
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Well some retail outlets like Staples Office Supply stores are offering free lessens when buying any new 8 pc be it a desktop, laptop, or tablet. They realized some help was going to be needed in order to sell anything with 8 on it as well as the OEMs coming up with their own substitutions for the Start menu most will be looking for now gone for good?!
Yeah, I was at Staples the other day and wanted to check out their Windows 8 instructions. But at the instructions desk, the PC was disconnected and they had no instructor.
Maybe they were attending a course on how to best use Windows 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #420
gregrocker

 

That's another thing besides the fact that no one is trying or buying Win8 at these big box stores. I'm so boggled by this I stop by every one I see to watch. One problem is that many of them don't work, including the 2-3 touchscreens which have Win8 on them.

And if you figure out how to click around on the Metro screen and find the instruction video it has such an advanced demo it only boggles you more. You'd have to have the skills of a Benihana chef to do all that touch-tossing, pinching and other finger whirly-gigging. and they're trying to sell this mostly on non-touchscreens so who made this blunder? Now watch them back away from the mess, slowly.

It only aggravates consumers who are bucking up to move from XP, or want to see what could possibly improve on Win7. Most want a competent, easily-intuitive (Win7) desktop experience, not a phone or Ipad app.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft confirms enthusiasts' fears: No more Windows Home Server
Read more at: Microsoft confirms enthusiasts' fears: No more versions of Windows Home Server | ZDNet
News
Would You Reject A Pre-Built PC Because Of Windows 8
I found an excellent pre-built PC deal. The system uses quality parts and is cheaper than the cost of the separate parts + shipping by $125.00. Plus, I would have to spend time building the PC. The only problem are is it ships with Windows 8 only. Is Windows 8 a deal killer ?
General Discussion
'Xbox 720' Might Reject Used Games
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2012/01/preowned.jpg Miffed at the possibility that new game consoles could lock out used games? Get used to it. Ive heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their...
Chillout Room
Is there a way to force Windows 7 to reject certain hardware?
Hello, all. I have a quick question. :) Right, my little brother has a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate (x32). He also has a PS3 webcam (I forget the actual name of it). He is allowed to use this webcam on his PS3, but not on his computer. The problem is that he keeps defying the rule in...
Hardware & Devices
Mozilla asks EU to reject Microsoft's Windows 7 browser
Source
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App