Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8

10 Apr 2013   #751
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
We also get a lot of FUD about how much faster 8 is on the desktop. 7 is just as fast if you set it to Windows 2000 classic desktop and reduce the graphics subsystem overhead. This may or may not show depending on your system. On my old Athlon 754 system in Classic desktop mode it is perfectly usable, add aero and it goes into a s l o w e r mode. The same is true on my little Eee PC, so IMHO strip our aero and claim it is faster than 7 is a sham. On lower end or older hardware this is going to show up but on the average enthusiast desktop not at all. Simply put if you want 7 to be quicker turn off the eye candy and set it to hibernate.
While I am not the biggest Windows 8 fan, I can say that the boot speed improvements are noticeable, even with an SSD. As an enthusiast, I will state publicly that in many areas Windows 8 is quicker, especially reconnecting wifi connections and network connections. I wouldn't say it makes use of Windows 8 a no-brainer, but it's certainly a bit speedier. With that said, every machine I own, with the exception of one is running Windows 7 still. But my work laptop, which is the machine I use the most, is now on Windows 8.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Apr 2013   #752
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
This is a spirited and very useful discussion at least for me.
Admins/Mods do you think we should move it to the VIP area??
But don't kill it. - I mean the linux discussion.
Just curious, but why would we want to move this to the VIP area?

And as noted not everyone has access to that area, especially newbies.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2013   #753
Lone Browncoat

2000Pro,XP SP3 x86..W7 on next build
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post

No, all of the badges here are earned based on post count and rep, mainly rep given by others.

The Supporter badge is given by the Admins. The MS badges are nominated to and awarded by MS.

It's explained in Reputation and Badges [9]
OK, didn't have time, like it says "W7 student".....still going through the tutorials, when time affords.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Apr 2013   #754
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Yes, I have been using 8 in various iterations for a very long time.

Many of us have done so and do not like it.

Not just because the UI is not appropriate for what we do.

It is move backwards - a step back to the dark old days.

Dependent on a central server - watched and controlled,charges and subscriptions.

Some seem to encourage it. I don't know if they are actually "shills" or they just don't understand what is going on.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
That's fine. I'm not here to convince you. But some of the FUD I've been reading here is downright out in left field. If you're going to hate something have a valid reason, not just some slavish following to others fears and misunderstandings.

My two cents.
As I said, some of the stuff posted here is FUD and is by non-users who "heard from a friend". Some like yours are more legit and thoughtful. While I won't agree with everything you say, I can respect your position because itís rooted in experience and thought.

Others are just plain following the flock of 8 sucks without even trying it. As I said before, outside the ugliness of the start screen, the performance is there with Windows 7.

As to cloud computing and a central sever, that is the way of the future, whether we like it or not. And despite some complaints, consumers and businesses will, and are, buying into it. Again, thank smartphones and the social media for that. People simply want to be able to access their info anywhere they goÖ and with cloud computing, and now an OS rooted in it, it opens up a whole new area where smartphones and tablets mainly dominated. Now we have an OS competing in that arena.

With that, cloud computing is here to stay. And itís only going to get bigger. Why would you want an OS not in tune with that?

And no, Iím not a huge fan of 8 as it stands, and the fact that I have to have a Microsoft account to fully use my desktop OS is BS. But, this is no different than if you own an Android smartphone, where a Google account is necessary. Microsoft is simply doing what we've already accepted as norm.

At any rate as I said before, if youíre going to complain about the OS, at least be one who has tried it, as opposed to following the "everyone says it sucks so it sucks" crowd.

I initially did this, but after trying the OS for a while, I have a different view. Am I fully impressed, not really, but at least I have a different view from actually using Win 8.

My two cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2013   #755
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

There is a big difference.

Right now you have a personal computer. You store and manage your own files and folder. You make a conscious choice which software to buy/use - from just about anywhere. If you decide to use an online service of some kind - that is a conscious decision each time. You choose to upload pictures for Granny in Australia, etc.

MS have something very different planned.

A non personal computer.

They are leading people there gradually, without the users being aware. They do not put that in the commercials.

You might think Google/Apple etc are also doing undesirable things.

That is no excuse.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2013   #756
x BlueRobot

 

I've used Windows 8 on my step-brother's laptop and store computers, and I still don't like it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2013   #757
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
...the fact that I have to have a Microsoft account to fully use my desktop OS...
That is one reason for not liking Win 8 that I rarely see discussed. M$ rewuires one to have their cookies fully enabled to get an account. I will NOT fully enable my cookies for anyone! It's my bloody computer and I will determine who is allowed to put what on it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2013   #758
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I'm using 8 without using my Microsoft live account in any way. Sure that means I skip the skydive metro app, but that is fine by me...I can just use the web site. There are probably a few other things like this..like the people app or the civic Xbox music app, but I just don't use them. And that doesn't make me feel like I am missing out on a Windows feature. It's not like I had it before with Windows and now they substantially changed it. It wasn't integrated with 7, and I'm choosing to continue to not integrate it with 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2013   #759
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Yes, I have been using 8 in various iterations for a very long time.

Many of us have done so and do not like it.

Not just because the UI is not appropriate for what we do.

It is move backwards - a step back to the dark old days.

Dependent on a central server - watched and controlled,charges and subscriptions.

Some seem to encourage it. I don't know if they are actually "shills" or they just don't understand what is going on.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
That's fine. I'm not here to convince you. But some of the FUD I've been reading here is downright out in left field. If you're going to hate something have a valid reason, not just some slavish following to others fears and misunderstandings.

My two cents.
As I said, some of the stuff posted here is FUD and is by non-users who "heard from a friend". Some like yours are more legit and thoughtful. While I won't agree with everything you say, I can respect your position because itís rooted in experience and thought.

Others are just plain following the flock of 8 sucks without even trying it. As I said before, outside the ugliness of the start screen, the performance is there with Windows 7.

My two cents.
I have a legit copy of Windows 8 Pro with media centre and I think it sucks the big one. It is frustrating to use, annoying as hell and was not worth the $15 plus tax I paid for it. I certainly am not one of the hate 8 because I can brigade, I tried the betas (not their stupid names for them) and thought it sucked and it got worse from there. I have tried to love it but every time I use it it annoys the hell out of me. Removal of the start menu, stupid invisible charms, then they removed aero and made it look like it is an 8 bit computer with the huge puzzle tiles. If it was worth using I would be using it but keep it for reference purposes. I am not the only one either. Look at the sales of PC's. Give me every excuse under the sun but friends acquaintances have told me they will not buy a PC with 8 and the MAC is too expensive so they either stay on XP or Vista. Stay with VISTA for crying out loud. I don't care any more, when asked I just mumble "go and look for yourself". It is not selling and if they M$ don't do something soon the OEM's will.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2013   #760
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Let's hope so.

Quote:
It is not selling and if they M$ don't do something soon the OEM's will.
MS are doing something - the prices have come down, they are subsidising the oems.

I think it might be starting to hurt.

Looks like MS is trying to get the prices of everything else up .

Microsoft & others complain to EU about Android bundling practices - Neowin

That is MS unable to compete against android. If they succeed, that will likely increase the prices of android products.


Perhaps MS should have brought out a different product offering in the first place - one that can compete.

They have some problems

1) Their existing user base is not buying their desktop offerings. They simply don't like 8.

2) The phones and tablets are struggling. Windows needs more resources> higher costs, and MS wants their license fee >higher costs.

One thing they can do is try to force up the cost of everything else.

It still doesn't mean buyers will like 8 - even if the Adroid devices were just as expensive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft confirms enthusiasts' fears: No more Windows Home Server
Read more at: Microsoft confirms enthusiasts' fears: No more versions of Windows Home Server | ZDNet
News
Would You Reject A Pre-Built PC Because Of Windows 8
I found an excellent pre-built PC deal. The system uses quality parts and is cheaper than the cost of the separate parts + shipping by $125.00. Plus, I would have to spend time building the PC. The only problem are is it ships with Windows 8 only. Is Windows 8 a deal killer ?
General Discussion
'Xbox 720' Might Reject Used Games
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2012/01/preowned.jpg Miffed at the possibility that new game consoles could lock out used games? Get used to it. ďIíve heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their...
Chillout Room
Is there a way to force Windows 7 to reject certain hardware?
Hello, all. I have a quick question. :) Right, my little brother has a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate (x32). He also has a PS3 webcam (I forget the actual name of it). He is allowed to use this webcam on his PS3, but not on his computer. The problem is that he keeps defying the rule in...
Hardware & Devices
Mozilla asks EU to reject Microsoft's Windows 7 browser
Source
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:56.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App