Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8

13 Apr 2013   #831
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Maybe that is the new world for some people - being able to do everything from everywhere via the cloud. But I am not part of that world and I would suspect neither are most of the PC users.

This is where we would disagree. Me and you "might" not need this, but I do firmly believe most would welcome it. How else would you explain the success of the iPad, and tablets in general? Now you have the opportunity to easily access your desktop from any device anywhere. Yes, lots of folks would welcome that (me included).

When I am 'on the road', I am on vacation. And there I don't want to be bothered. That's one reason why I don't have a cell phone. But I do have a little Nexus 7 tablet. That I use for navigation and planning the excursions of the next day, the occasional phone call to make a reservation at the next hotel (I like to talk to real people and make sure my reservation requirements are understood. That is also one reason I only choose small hotels and not some of those mega chains). Else I use the tablet for some entertainement. But that's about all. I don't even check my mails. Those can wait until I am back home.

That's how you and I may see it; And Pieper makes a good argument about Leisure and Culture, and how we have become a slave to work, but that's a debate for another time

Anyway people still want to be able to access stuff and having the expanded opportunity to do so is a good thing. In short, just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean my mobile devices are. In fact, they may become even more useful now that I've got some leisure time

This new world is for a small segment of the active business people and they should have a convenient option to do their thing. But that is not enough reason to ruin the OS for the PC for the majority of the users.

True, but today's society sees it differently, and they want the convenience of mobile. Microsoft is just trying to fill a niche. They just seem to have gone so far as to upset the desktop community.

Hopefully this gets fixed, but don't expect them to abandon the mobile market ship
At least that's the way I see it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Apr 2013   #832
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Drew, as you say, we may have a cultural difference and also an age difference. I appreciate your comments and I am certain that many people will agree. But there is one thing I have learned in my short 75 year life - the habits of people do not change that fast.

When I am on vacation (which I am a lot), I visit sites, go to concerts, feast in good restaurants, roam the landscape and just relax. Doing anything that only remotely reassembles work is completely alien to me during that time. But that may be just me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #833
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Drew, as you say, we may have a cultural difference and also an age difference. I appreciate your comments and I am certain that many people will agree. But there is one thing I have learned in my short 75 year life - the habits of people do not change that fast.

When I am on vacation (which I am a lot), I visit sites, go to concerts, feast in good restaurants, roam the landscape and just relax. Doing anything that only remotely reassembles work is completely alien to me during that time. But that may be just me.
No WHS I think it is an American thing. I am from the UK and we got 4 to 6 weeks vacation (holidays) and the last thing I thought of was work, except going back to it. With the 2 weeks a year and hardly any public holidays and the work, work, work ethic it is not surprising. I have known people here who thought taking vacation was a sign of weakness instead of something to be enjoyed. I think the average American is usually half dead by the time they retire due to overwork and stress issues. Perhaps that is how M$ ended up with Windows 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Apr 2013   #834
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Ed is very pro MS.

That is ok. He is entitled to be - he is expressing an editorial opinion.

His own blog is much the same. That is ok. He is allowed to have an editorial bias - newspapers do it of course.

Read it and see if you can pick up the clues.

I might add - this particular article is more subtle than others from him.
Regardless to all of his other articles, which I've not read, this one here seems fairly balanced to me. My opinion. You feel differently, ok.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Where in this "future of mobile computing" do you fit the great mass of productive work which drives the world economy (and even SevenForums) currently done on the desktop?
Perhaps you're missing those traveling business people, students, and everyday ma and pa's with their smartphones, tablets, and notebooks? They conduct business as well, and they don't want to be bogged down by a desktop.

If I need to get a file to my boss or whoever, I can just grab it out the cloud, or access my desktop via my mobile device and send it off. If I'm working on a file or project away from my desktop, I can just sync it trough my mobile devices so that all my PC's have the most recent file. We're no longer tied to a desktop. That's the future of mobile computing.

Window 8 proposes to tap into that market and make it even easier to work with a myriad of electronic mobile devices.

And I'm not saying Windows 8 is perfect, I'm just saying the idea behind it is on point. Fix a few things here and there, and both mobile and desktop users could have the best of both worlds.

My two cents.
That's all fine when you have affordable, unlimited access to the cloud all the time. Not everyone does.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #835
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Drew, as you say, we may have a cultural difference and also an age difference. I appreciate your comments and I am certain that many people will agree. But there is one thing I have learned in my short 75 year life - the habits of people do not change that fast.

When I am on vacation (which I am a lot), I visit sites, go to concerts, feast in good restaurants, roam the landscape and just relax. Doing anything that only remotely reassembles work is completely alien to me during that time. But that may be just me.
Wolfgang I don't disagree here. When I'm on vacation, I don't even think about work.

That wasn't the crux of my point. My sole and only point here is the mobility of people, and them having access to their info, for whatever reason.

BTW I guess 54 is young compared to 75, but I sure hope to get where you are

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
No WHS I think it is an American thing.
And contrary to popular belief, this isn't an American only thing. Add that business is no longer working in a "central" office and you have a very mobile workforce all over the world
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #836
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Maybe that is the new world for some people - being able to do everything from everywhere via the cloud. But I am not part of that world and I would suspect neither are most of the PC users.

When I am 'on the road', I am on vacation. And there I don't want to be bothered. That's one reason why I don't have a cell phone. But I do have a little Nexus 7 tablet. That I use for navigation and planning the excursions of the next day, the occasional phone call to make a reservation at the next hotel (I like to talk to real people and make sure my reservation requirements are understood. That is also one reason I only choose small hotels and not some of those mega chains). Else I use the tablet for some entertainement. But that's about all. I don't even check my mails. Those can wait until I am back home.

This new world is for a small segment of the active business people and they should have a convenient option to do their thing. But that is not enough reason to ruin the OS for the PC for the majority of the users.
Heck, I'm that way most of the time, even when not on the road. I do have a cell phone for emergencies but it stays turned off until I actually need it, which is rare. And the tablet is a 15" notebook.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #837
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Vacation ? I took one once when I was in my 50's. Two weeks. Came back in a week because I didn't know what to do with the other week. Always just worked through the vacation and got double pay.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #838
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Ed is very pro MS.

That is ok. He is entitled to be - he is expressing an editorial opinion.

His own blog is much the same. That is ok. He is allowed to have an editorial bias - newspapers do it of course.

Read it and see if you can pick up the clues.

I might add - this particular article is more subtle than others from him.
Regardless to all of his other articles, which I've not read, this one here seems fairly balanced to me. My opinion. You feel differently, ok.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Where in this "future of mobile computing" do you fit the great mass of productive work which drives the world economy (and even SevenForums) currently done on the desktop?
Perhaps you're missing those traveling business people, students, and everyday ma and pa's with their smartphones, tablets, and notebooks? They conduct business as well, and they don't want to be bogged down by a desktop.

If I need to get a file to my boss or whoever, I can just grab it out the cloud, or access my desktop via my mobile device and send it off. If I'm working on a file or project away from my desktop, I can just sync it trough my mobile devices so that all my PC's have the most recent file. We're no longer tied to a desktop. That's the future of mobile computing.

Window 8 proposes to tap into that market and make it even easier to work with a myriad of electronic mobile devices.

And I'm not saying Windows 8 is perfect, I'm just saying the idea behind it is on point. Fix a few things here and there, and both mobile and desktop users could have the best of both worlds.

My two cents.
That's all fine when you have affordable, unlimited access to the cloud all the time. Not everyone does.
Well I'm not going to apologize for the fact that most do have access. And if you have an internet connection, you have access to it as well. And services like Microsoft's SkyDrive offer 7gig of free space.

And before we go there, I'm keenly aware there are some poor populations out there that don't have access to any type of internet services. I'm also a bleeding heart so we're not going to go there either. At any rate that's not the market I'm talking about.

Peace
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #839
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Drew, as you say, we may have a cultural difference and also an age difference. I appreciate your comments and I am certain that many people will agree. But there is one thing I have learned in my short 75 year life - the habits of people do not change that fast.

When I am on vacation (which I am a lot), I visit sites, go to concerts, feast in good restaurants, roam the landscape and just relax. Doing anything that only remotely reassembles work is completely alien to me during that time. But that may be just me.
No WHS I think it is an American thing. I am from the UK and we got 4 to 6 weeks vacation (holidays) and the last thing I thought of was work, except going back to it. With the 2 weeks a year and hardly any public holidays and the work, work, work ethic it is not surprising. I have known people here who thought taking vacation was a sign of weakness instead of something to be enjoyed. I think the average American is usually half dead by the time they retire due to overwork and stress issues. Perhaps that is how M$ ended up with Windows 8.
That is a good point. The first time I had a US assignment in the 60's come the beginning of the year I asked my manager whether they made a vacation plan as we did in Germany. He said no, just tell me when you want to go.

Come June I told him that I was going - for 5 weeks. He nearly fell off his chair. But I went anyhow.

In the meantime I spent nearly 20 years in the US and understand the philosphy. A long weekend trip to Disney Land is considered a vacation - I would call it stress. And a 1 week cruise is a loooong vacation.

Those are some of the cultural differences.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #840
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

whs you stated you still took 5 weeks off.
The places I worked at you wouldn't of had a job to come back to.
The dealerships I worked in payed management by how productive the workers under them were. When employees took vacations productivity went down therefor managements bonus checks were smaller. Therefor you best have another job lined up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft confirms enthusiasts' fears: No more Windows Home Server
Read more at: Microsoft confirms enthusiasts' fears: No more versions of Windows Home Server | ZDNet
News
Would You Reject A Pre-Built PC Because Of Windows 8
I found an excellent pre-built PC deal. The system uses quality parts and is cheaper than the cost of the separate parts + shipping by $125.00. Plus, I would have to spend time building the PC. The only problem are is it ships with Windows 8 only. Is Windows 8 a deal killer ?
General Discussion
'Xbox 720' Might Reject Used Games
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2012/01/preowned.jpg Miffed at the possibility that new game consoles could lock out used games? Get used to it. Ive heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their...
Chillout Room
Is there a way to force Windows 7 to reject certain hardware?
Hello, all. I have a quick question. :) Right, my little brother has a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate (x32). He also has a PS3 webcam (I forget the actual name of it). He is allowed to use this webcam on his PS3, but not on his computer. The problem is that he keeps defying the rule in...
Hardware & Devices
Mozilla asks EU to reject Microsoft's Windows 7 browser
Source
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App