Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8

13 Apr 2013   #841
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Yeah, but that was not a rinky dink little company. There were 400.000 employees worldwide. The rules were different. Besides, the US manager could not fire me because I was an emplyee of the German company on assignment.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Apr 2013   #842
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Yeah, but that was not a rinky dink little company. There were 400.000 employees worldwide. The rules were different. Besides, the US manager could not fire me because I was an emplyee of the German company on assignment.
In this country, even the companies with over 400k employees would never tolerate someone just saying they were going to take off for five weeks just like that. Cultural differences.

I feel sad for those who can't take a vacation because they get bored because they usually are the ones who will die soon after retirement. Before I retired the first time, I had five weeks of vacation a year (I was a long time employee) and had no trouble finding something to do. Heck, I trouble finding enough time to do all I wanted to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #843
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Off their web site. I took out the name and locations
Not rinky dinky.

XXXXX is proud to be America's largest auto retailer representing domestic, import and luxury brands, both on and off the web. Headquartered in XXXX XXXXX, and a member of the S&P 500 (NYSE xx),

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Apr 2013   #844
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Yeah, but that was not a rinky dink little company. There were 400.000 employees worldwide. The rules were different. Besides, the US manager could not fire me because I was an emplyee of the German company on assignment.
In this country, even the companies with over 400k employees would never tolerate someone just saying they were going to take off for five weeks just like that. Cultural differences.

I feel sad for those who can't take a vacation because they get bored because they usually are the ones who will die soon after retirement. Before I retired the first time, I had five weeks of vacation a year (I was a long time employee) and had no trouble finding something to do. Heck, I trouble finding enough time to do all I wanted to do.
That's why you have to do vacation planning so that not the whole department leaves at the same time. Before I retired, I had 10 weeks of vacation per year - but then I never had the time to take it all. The company paid me a big bundle for vacation owed when I retired.

But in the case of the US manager in the early 60s, he just did not want to do that. Only wanted us to tell hime when we go on vacation. I guess he did not expect some European who came with 7 weeks of yearly vacation (the US standard was 2 weeks then). But there was really nothing he could do about it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #845
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I think that the Board Members and Executives of Microsoft are worried that the next thing Microsoft has built will be a gallows.
A change has to be made to improve sales of Windows 8 in both mobile and desktops/laptops.
To me that change has to be giving options to the consumer of what style of Windows 8 they want on what device.
This is my 2+2 must =4 thoughts.
The obvious, commonsense solution.

Something "modern" executives are sorely lacking in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #846
Dallas 7

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
.....And I'm not saying Windows 8 is perfect, I'm just saying the idea behind it is on point. Fix a few things here and there, and both mobile and desktop users could have the best of both worlds.

My two cents.
Sygnus what you're saying is conceivable, BUT Microsoft has shown no signs of concern whatsoever for what desktop users want or need in W8.
If M$ ever adds some desktop friendly options to W8 a lot of people will take a more serious look at it, but so far M$ has only thumbed their arrogant noses at desktop users, and the leak of Blue so far shows only more of the same.

There's absolutely no reason why they can't give some ground to accomodate the desktop portion of their customer base.
All we're asking for is some worthwhile desktop friendly options, but all we're getting is arrogance and indifference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #847
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

The problem is I don't really see Microsoft as being arrogant as they jut want to see if their product succeeds. This is what any company would do. I know the popular thing for everyone is that Microsoft immediately abandon ship, but sometimes you can't just pull the plug because your critics say so. If this were so, we wouldn't have any innovation.

Anyway it's too early to call. We'll see what Blue has to offer, than go from there. If the Market still hasn't warmed up to 8, then Microsoft will have to change or tweak some things.

And I still maintain that the desktop as we know it is gone. They'll be some changes, maybe not as drastic, but they will be changes. It's not about what the old timers want. it's about what the mobile society wants. It's forward, not backwards.

That's the way I see it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #848
Dallas 7

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
The problem is I don't really see Microsoft as being arrogant as they jut want to see if their product succeeds. This is what any company would do. I know the popular thing for everyone is that Microsoft immediately abandon ship, but sometimes you can't just pull the plug because your critics say so. If this were so, we wouldn't have any innovation.

Anyway it's too early to call. We'll see what Blue has to offer, than go from there. If the Market still hasn't warmed up to 8, then Microsoft will have to change or tweak some things.

And I still maintain that the desktop as we know it is gone. They'll be some changes, maybe not as drastic, but they will be changes. It's not about what the old timers want. it's about what the mobile society wants. It's forward, not backwards.

That's the way I see it.
Sygnus who said anything about "Abandon ship" or "Pull the plug"?
We're asking for some desktop friendly interface options built into W8! NOT abandoning ship!
Why are you against that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2013   #849
gregrocker

 

No one branding the desktop a dinosaur has yet explained what will replace the it for millions who do the productive work that makes the world economy hum. They turned to MS for the best affordable desktop experience.

Will they turn their phones and tablets sideways to do spreadsheets, snap on rubbery keyboards to do word processing?

This is at least half of the market, so how are you ever going to squeeze them into a tablet or phone to do their real work when they can spread out and sit back in front of a 24" LED?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2013   #850
Dallas 7

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
The problem is I don't really see Microsoft as being arrogant as they jut want to see if their product succeeds. This is what any company would do. I know the popular thing for everyone is that Microsoft immediately abandon ship, but sometimes you can't just pull the plug because your critics say so. If this were so, we wouldn't have any innovation.

Anyway it's too early to call. We'll see what Blue has to offer, than go from there. If the Market still hasn't warmed up to 8, then Microsoft will have to change or tweak some things.

And I still maintain that the desktop as we know it is gone. They'll be some changes, maybe not as drastic, but they will be changes. It's not about what the old timers want. it's about what the mobile society wants. It's forward, not backwards.

That's the way I see it.
Old Timers?? Aside from that, if "It's about what the mobile society wants", then why isn't this mobile society buying W8 if it's so great? One reason is because they're too busy buying IPads instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft confirms enthusiasts' fears: No more Windows Home Server
Read more at: Microsoft confirms enthusiasts' fears: No more versions of Windows Home Server | ZDNet
News
Would You Reject A Pre-Built PC Because Of Windows 8
I found an excellent pre-built PC deal. The system uses quality parts and is cheaper than the cost of the separate parts + shipping by $125.00. Plus, I would have to spend time building the PC. The only problem are is it ships with Windows 8 only. Is Windows 8 a deal killer ?
General Discussion
'Xbox 720' Might Reject Used Games
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2012/01/preowned.jpg Miffed at the possibility that new game consoles could lock out used games? Get used to it. Ive heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their...
Chillout Room
Is there a way to force Windows 7 to reject certain hardware?
Hello, all. I have a quick question. :) Right, my little brother has a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate (x32). He also has a PS3 webcam (I forget the actual name of it). He is allowed to use this webcam on his PS3, but not on his computer. The problem is that he keeps defying the rule in...
Hardware & Devices
Mozilla asks EU to reject Microsoft's Windows 7 browser
Source
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App