Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Direct X 11.1 not available for Win7, only Win8

27 Jan 2013   #31

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Just MS playing every card in their hand to try and force Windows 8 adoption, short of completely destroying Windows 7 and Windows XP. Nothing out of the ordinary.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jan 2013   #32

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
New ideas is good but not always better. Just because someone sticks with the old one doesn't necessary mean their stuck in the mud. Just waiting for something better.

Exactly. A certain few keep inferring that we're mistaken or behind the times, and that we should embrace Microsoft's screw up as a Godsend. W8's interface belongs on tablets and phones, not on desktops.
If anyone is mistaken or behind the times, it's Microsoft for trying to shove their tablet interface down the throats of desktop users with their "one size fits all" self serving brainstorm.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2013   #33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
.......Horses are great to ride - but for the majority of people the Car has supplanted the use of these for normal transport and powered ships have surplanted Sailboats.......
Cheers
jimbo

So in your opinion going from Windows 7 to W8 is like going from riding horses to riding in cars, and moving up to powered ships from sail boats?

In an earlier post you referred to Windows 7 on a "touch enabled device" as a "DOG", you even described it as "HORRENDOUS".
Actually jimbo I think that's a fair assessment, but lets be fair about this;

If "one size fits all" was a "DOG" and "HORRENDOUS" when it meant putting a desktop interface on a tablet,
why is it not equally a "DOG" and "HORRENDOUS" when MS's "one size fits all" now means putting a tablet interface on a desktop??

Why shouldn't they both have an interface suitable for the device?
The mistake was MS's, not ours. We're not choosing horses over cars, we're choosing common sense over "DOGS".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Jan 2013   #34

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dallas 7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
.......Horses are great to ride - but for the majority of people the Car has supplanted the use of these for normal transport and powered ships have surplanted Sailboats.......
Cheers
jimbo

So in your opinion going from Windows 7 to W8 is like going from riding horses to riding in cars, and moving up to powered ships from sail boats?

In an earlier post you referred to Windows 7 on a "touch enabled device" as a "DOG", you even described it as "HORRENDOUS".
Actually jimbo I think that's a fair assessment, but lets be fair about this;

If "one size fits all" was a "DOG" and "HORRENDOUS" when it meant putting a desktop interface on a tablet,
why is it not equally a "DOG" and "HORRENDOUS" when MS's "one size fits all" now means putting a tablet interface on a desktop??

Why shouldn't they both have an interface suitable for the device?
The mistake was MS's, not ours. We're not choosing horses over cars, we're choosing common sense over "DOGS".
Hi there
I can't really see how W8 is "Only" a tablet interface -- It's very simple not to have to use any metro application at all -- OK you need ONE click to get to the desktop and that's it -- you can easily arrange your applications to be pinned to desktop and taskbar just like Windows 7.

The main difference is instead of clicking an ORB and being presented with a "classical menu" -- which don't let's kid ourselves either - can also be a mile long and have zillions and zillions of entries-- you have to click (or touch) the desktop icon in W8 same nr of keystrokes and some people might actually prefer working that way.

You can easily arrange it that after the initial boot you NEVER have to see the W8 start screen again -- you can pin things like Control panel, and shutdown cmds if you are scared of a right mouse click to power off the machine instead of using the menu to your desktop / task bar ( so at the worst with a little bit of desktop management) only TWO different sets of keys are needed. A lot of standard applications often have one or two keys changed after a release update.

I Hated it at first but if you actually slightly re-order you work it's quite logical and makes a lot of sense.

If you can also remember just three or four key combinations (not to hard for even the most diehard Windows 7 supporter) Windows key + Q gets you straight into search so you can find and run anything not on your desktop or quick launch bar, Windows key + R brings up the Run cmd dialog and also a useful one windows key + comma (,) makes all windows transparent so you can see your desktop

and finally a GOOD one for all you menu diehard fans Windows key + X brings up a little "classic menu" of some very nice quick features such as control panel, system management etc.

The Metro part - single tasking in full screen mode is a disaster - agreed -- I find this even on a mobile phone irritating when say you want to add an attachment to an email / facebook etc -- you virtually have to start again as these devices don't seem to have decent multi-tasking built in to the OS -- but with the power of these phones and tablets people will want this.

But again you don't have to use METRO at all if you don't want to.

A lot of the complaints against W8 are IMO grossly overdone. There are some very valid points that Ms needs to address but for 99.99% of typical home users I can't really see TOO much wrong with W8.

For the last 3 weeks now I've rarely used Windows 7 -- the W8 system just seems so much snappier all ways round and I'm actually running it on a far less powerful machine than the one I have running Windows 7.

I did have a learning curve and it was a pain to organise apps efficiently on desktop and taskbar - but once that was done I'm fine with it.

Enc screen shot of my W8 desktop -- almost identical to what I have in Windows 7 - just missing the ORB of course, and the little popup menu you get when pressing the Windows key + X.


( And another little one for all those "Neat Freeks" who like minimal stuff on your desktop while working). - You can dynamically switch on and off desktop icons - so after you've launced an application say from your desktop just turn off desktop icons. !.

Cheers
jimbo


Attached Thumbnails
Direct X 11.1 not available for Win7, only Win8-w8d.png  
Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2013   #35

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

So now the differences are almost nonexistent, but when it was Windows 7 on your touch devices, the differences were
"HORRENDOUS"! Windows 7 was a "DOG". Those were your descriptions, not mine.

W8 is fine for a mobile device since thats what it was designed for, but not a desktop.
I wouldn't even buy W8 for my wife! LOL
I bought her an IPAD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2013   #36
Microsoft MVP

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post

Hi there
I can't really see how W8 is "Only" a tablet interface -- It's very simple not to have to use any metro application at all -- OK you need ONE click to get to the desktop and that's it -- you can easily arrange your applications to be pinned to desktop and taskbar just like Windows 7.

The main difference is instead of clicking an ORB and being presented with a "classical menu" -- which don't let's kid ourselves either - can also be a mile long and have zillions and zillions of entries-- you have to click (or touch) the desktop icon in W8 same nr of keystrokes and some people might actually prefer working that way.

You can easily arrange it that after the initial boot you NEVER have to see the W8 start screen again -- you can pin things like Control panel, and shutdown cmds if you are scared of a right mouse click to power off the machine instead of using the menu to your desktop / task bar ( so at the worst with a little bit of desktop management) only TWO different sets of keys are needed. A lot of standard applications often have one or two keys changed after a release update.

I Hated it at first but if you actually slightly re-order you work it's quite logical and makes a lot of sense.

If you can also remember just three or four key combinations (not to hard for even the most diehard Windows 7 supporter) Windows key + Q gets you straight into search so you can find and run anything not on your desktop or quick launch bar, Windows key + R brings up the Run cmd dialog and also a useful one windows key + comma (,) makes all windows transparent so you can see your desktop

and finally a GOOD one for all you menu diehard fans Windows key + X brings up a little "classic menu" of some very nice quick features such as control panel, system management etc.

The Metro part - single tasking in full screen mode is a disaster - agreed -- I find this even on a mobile phone irritating when say you want to add an attachment to an email / facebook etc -- you virtually have to start again as these devices don't seem to have decent multi-tasking built in to the OS -- but with the power of these phones and tablets people will want this.

But again you don't have to use METRO at all if you don't want to.

A lot of the complaints against W8 are IMO grossly overdone. There are some very valid points that Ms needs to address but for 99.99% of typical home users I can't really see TOO much wrong with W8.

For the last 3 weeks now I've rarely used Windows 7 -- the W8 system just seems so much snappier all ways round and I'm actually running it on a far less powerful machine than the one I have running Windows 7.

I did have a learning curve and it was a pain to organise apps efficiently on desktop and taskbar - but once that was done I'm fine with it.

Enc screen shot of my W8 desktop -- almost identical to what I have in Windows 7 - just missing the ORB of course, and the little popup menu you get when pressing the Windows key + X.


( And another little one for all those "Neat Freeks" who like minimal stuff on your desktop while working). - You can dynamically switch on and off desktop icons - so after you've launced an application say from your desktop just turn off desktop icons. !.

Cheers
jimbo
When I see a post like this it reminds me of that "I will not eat green eggs and ham" story. Only in this case I did try the "green eggs and ham" on my desktop and didn't like it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2013   #37

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dallas 7 View Post
So now the differences are almost nonexistent, but when it was Windows 7 on your touch devices, the differences were
"HORRENDOUS"! Windows 7 was a "DOG". Those were your descriptions, not mine.

W8 is fine for a mobile device since thats what it was designed for, but not a desktop.
I wouldn't even buy W8 for my wife! LOL
I bought her an IPAD.
Hi there
you obviously haven't understood or don't want to understand what I've posted

Look at the your quote ".....................]So now the differences are almost nonexistent, but when it was Windows 7 on your touch devices, the differences were
"HORRENDOUS"! Windows 7 was a "DOG". Those were your descriptions, not mine. "

This means that on TOUCH DEVICES Windows 7 was (and still is) a DOG.
For the rest it's fine -- I thought that was so bleedin' obvious from the post that it is self explanatory.

C'mon guy -- do you really think I'd say Windows 7 is horrible if my W8 system runs almost the same as Windows 7. --
Ok the English could be a bit better but the meaning seems to be perfectly clear - W8 can be made to run almost like Windows 7 for people who want to use the "Classic desktop", and I still maintain W8 runs much more slickly on MY hardware (YMMV of course) and for Touch enabled devices it's a huge improvement over Windows 7. Now if you don't like or care about touch that's fine - but the whole point of the post was to say that in general for loads of users the complaints against W8 are grossly overdone.

Finally it's everybody's choice --if you want to use Windows 7 it's still available and will continue to be for years yet, if you want to switch that's a choice too -- and you can still use XP for another year too - although I think sourcing a retail copy would be a bit hard --still available on TechNet though.



Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2013   #38

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bertison View Post
Actually Jimbo, they were made of a compressed card material, something like very hard cardboard.
That's what I thought, but after all these years of thinking the fatality rate in a cardboard car must be huge..........I did a little research, I didn't have to look far.......The body was made of Duroplast.

'Duroplast is light, flexible, and strong. It is made of recycled material, cotton waste and phenol resins. Because it can be made in a press similar to shaping steel, it is more suitable for volume car production than fibreglass.
'


All hail Wikipedia!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2013   #39
Microsoft MVP

 

Forget it. Not getting into cardboard cars or planes with plastic wings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2013   #40

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Forget it. Not getting into cardboard cars or planes with plastic wings.
I'm also missing how this relates to the DirectX 11.1 not available to 7 users thread
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Direct X 11.1 not available for Win7, only Win8




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Direct X 11.1 not available for Win7, only Win8
Thread Forum
Downgrade Win8 laptop to Win7 Installation & Setup
win7 32bit+win8 64bit Installation & Setup
Solved Installing Win7 on a Win8 Machine Hardware & Devices
Better Graphics Acceleration from Win7 to Win8? General Discussion
My Own Win7 versus Win8 benchmarks Chillout Room
Installed Ubuntu,Win8. Now if I select Win8 in Grub it won't start. Installation & Setup
upgrade win7 to win8? Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33