Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Microsoft fined by European Commission over web browser

06 Mar 2013   #11

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
It's an excuse to hand out a big fine to fund the gravy train, I expect Google to be next in line for an outrageous fine for just carrying out their business.
Haven't they already targeted Google?
I dont think they have slapped them with a big fine in a good while.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2013   #12
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
I, for one, refuse to be told by these dictators what I use to browse the web
Nobody tells you anything. They just want to make sure the other options are easily accessible. Not everybody is as smart as you are and can get it on his own.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2013   #13

 

As Chrome dominates the browser market it just show that regulation and fines are not necessary because people already understand that they can install what ever browser they want.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Mar 2013   #14

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
If somebody make a commitment and does not stick to it, do you let them get away with it ??

I agree that making a commitment and then breaking that commitment is what this is about and it is fully justifiable to hold them to it.

I guess my problem with all this is that MS should not have been forced to promote competitor's software in their OS in the first place. When they did agree to it, they should have stuck with it, but it was and is unfair to make them do this in the first place (just my opinion). I can understand the prevention of monopolies, and fair business practices, and packaging the browser allows MS to have it more mainstream and a bigger customer base than the competitor, but it's a freaking free browser. It's not like MS was making it so people couldn't use any other browser with their OS or suppressing search results for firefox or something. Ten years ago, Nobody had to prompt me during install about firefox for me to hear about it, find it, install it and switch to it. Windows didn't prevent me from getting another browser. It's not like I could only use IE with windows...

I feel some things are needed for the PC that should come prepackaged. browser, media center, virus protection, word processing, image editing should all be available and MS does this (well except AV suite). I'm sure they left out AV simply because of this and you see what happens with that. you get PC's with trial software that expires and either leaves the user high and dry or makes them think they need to pay for an AV suite.

Purchasing a laptop that only has an OS and no actual programs that can do the daily tasks that you bought it for would be frustrating to the 100% of consumers who know little to nothing about computers. (this statistic is not based on fact it is purely made up)



Ok /rant
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2013   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP-1
 
 

Eh, just a drop in the bucket for these corp.'s
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2013   #16
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

In Windows 8 they fixed the AV problem with Defender (former MSE) being standard out of the box. I wonder what the Nortons, McAfees etc. have to say about that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2013   #17

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HarryHusker View Post
Eh, just a drop in the bucket for these corp.'s
Pretty much. 2012 total earnings: $74 billion Microsoft Reports Record Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year Revenue

Fine: $731 million

So only close to 1% of their business for one year...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2013   #18

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
It's not like MS was making it so people couldn't use any other browser with their OS or suppressing search results for firefox or something. Ten years ago, Nobody had to prompt me during install about firefox for me to hear about it, find it, install it and switch to it. Windows didn't prevent me from getting another browser. It's not like I could only use IE with windows...
Well said.

If Opera, Chrome, Firefox, et al want more publicity and a bigger share of the market, why don't they make adverts showcasing their capabilities? As far as I am aware, I've only ever seen ones for IE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2013   #19

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
Ahh, I See

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
It's not like MS was making it so people couldn't use any other browser with their OS or suppressing search results for firefox or something. Ten years ago, Nobody had to prompt me during install about firefox for me to hear about it, find it, install it and switch to it. Windows didn't prevent me from getting another browser. It's not like I could only use IE with windows...
Well said.

If Opera, Chrome, Firefox, et al want more publicity and a bigger share of the market, why don't they make adverts showcasing their capabilities? As far as I am aware, I've only ever seen ones for IE.

Have they made it easily removable? If so I am not aware of it. It smacks of the practice that to get this program (one which you paid dearly for) you must install this also. What??? You don't want it? How stupid can you be to have an opinion of your own!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2013   #20

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
It's not like MS was making it so people couldn't use any other browser with their OS or suppressing search results for firefox or something. Ten years ago, Nobody had to prompt me during install about firefox for me to hear about it, find it, install it and switch to it. Windows didn't prevent me from getting another browser. It's not like I could only use IE with windows...
Well said.

If Opera, Chrome, Firefox, et al want more publicity and a bigger share of the market, why don't they make adverts showcasing their capabilities? As far as I am aware, I've only ever seen ones for IE.

Have they made it easily removable? If so I am not aware of it. It smacks of the practice that to get this program (one which you paid dearly for) you must install this also. What??? You don't want it? How stupid can you be to have an opinion of your own!!!!!
I'm having a hard time understanding what you are trying to say.
Care to rephrase please?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft fined by European Commission over web browser





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33