Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Start8 and ModernMix -- Windows 8's last, best hope for normality

28 Mar 2013   #31
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
I think I have forgotten more about computers than you'll ever know.
You are an 8 fanbois.
Is there any reason to have to resort to personal attacks? That's the behavior of the fanbois you are accusing others of being.

Besides...when you keep an open mind, learn by experience, and stick to factual information, that isn't being a fanboi...it's being logical. There's no need to personally attack someone for not following the "it's cool to hate Windows 8" crowd.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Mar 2013   #32
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vvcmarttech View Post
Windows 8 works great. It's meant for a touch screen but there are hot fixes to fix the computer from thinking that mouse movements are screen swipes. I keep hearing lazy techs cry about the "start" menu. Go to CNET download a free start menu program and throw it in the startup folder. Problem solved - you know have windows 7 with the new cool looking start screen. Quit your crying, 8 is legit and its only going to get better with patches.

Granted their app market sucks. Nor do I feel the need to use modern mix to run any of the metro apps. I don't use the start screen often but simply Windows Key back if I need too. I am enjoying taking advantage of learning keyboard shortcuts to improve my navigation speed.
Why bother 7 is is perfectly OK. I build my own machines and have spare copies of 7 available if I need them. 8 is a broken OS, it does nothing well. As has been said on this forum some say it is faster. I say nonsense. If you switch off aero and run 7 in 2000 classic OS mode it is faster still. It is all about choice and customization.
As mentioned here CNET is to be avoided.
Okay I tested a Cnet download (results)

Try http://www.filehippo.com/ or SourceForge - Download, Develop and Publish Free Open Source Software
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #33
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

Quote:
it does nothing well
sorry but that is garbage, im using windows 8.its my main os and i can do everything just as well as i did before, only quicker.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Mar 2013   #34
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
I think I have forgotten more about computers than you'll ever know.
You are an 8 fanbois.
Is there any reason to have to resort to personal attacks? That's the behavior of the fanbois you are accusing others of being.

Besides...when you keep an open mind, learn by experience, and stick to factual information, that isn't being a fanboi...it's being logical. There's no need to personally attack someone for not following the "it's cool to hate Windows 8" crowd.
If you go back a post or two you will see I was being chastised for running 8 in a VM. I also run XP, XP64, DOS, 3.11, 95,98,Nt4, 2000, Linux Mint, Kubuntu, Linux Mate and the Amiga. I know a good OS when I see one and 8 is not it. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it. Whether you or anyone else agrees or not is not my concern. This IS a WINDOWS SEVEN FORUM so what do expect us to say?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #35
vvcmarttech

I am running Windows 7 Prof. 64 bit / Win 8 64 bit. Most campus nodes are on 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vvcmarttech View Post
For the record, anybody throwing 8 to mess with on a VM is going to get left behind as all new computers are being shipped out with win 8 installed.
I think I have forgotten more about computers than you'll ever know.
You are an 8 fanbois.
(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻ "What Did You Say To Me Boy"!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #36
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

warning   Warning
OK let's keep things at a frendly level
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #37
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vvcmarttech View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vvcmarttech View Post
For the record, anybody throwing 8 to mess with on a VM is going to get left behind as all new computers are being shipped out with win 8 installed.
I think I have forgotten more about computers than you'll ever know.
You are an 8 fanbois.
(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻ "What Did You Say To Me Boy"!

Thanks for calling me a boy, I am 55 nearly 56 (August) (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
OK what does that say? Google thinks it is Russian, then Japanese
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #38
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
If you go back a post or two you will see I was being chastised for running 8 in a VM. I also run XP, XP64, DOS, 3.11, 95,98,Nt4, 2000, Linux Mint, Kubuntu, Linux Mate and the Amiga. I know a good OS when I see one and 8 is not it. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it. Whether you or anyone else agrees or not is not my concern. This IS a WINDOWS SEVEN FORUM so what do expect us to say?
I could trot out my titles, experience, etc and would that mean my comments on Windows 8 would overlap/outrank yours? Just because you are running several other OSes, doesn't instantly lend any credibility to your comments. Listing credentials on an intern forum is meaningless, and on most boards, makes you less credible.

It is your opinion, and it clearly is your concern or else you wouldn't be arguing in support of it. If it was of no concern, you'd allow others to disagree. If you actually used Windows 8, and went in with an open mind, rather than what the "cool factor" is trying to persuade you to believe. If so, and you realize that you can quickly change the OS to skip the "Start Screen", you quickly realize it only builds on Windows 7...and is in no way a step back. It's the same ol' environment we're used to, just a little snappier, with some nice features added in. I couldn't tell you the last time I looked at my Metro Start Screen thing. Saying is not a good OS just screams out that you are buying into the negative hype and not your own experiences. There are plenty of reasons to not switch from 7, as 7 is a great OS as well, but 8 is so closely related to 7 is defies logic to bash one and praise the other.

Also, for the record, on other forums, such a EightForums, we don't bash other OSes, such as Windows 7. Just because this is a Windows Seven forum, doesn't mean members should bash anything other than 7. That, as well, defies logic. What I'd expect is rational fact-based discussions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #39
vvcmarttech

I am running Windows 7 Prof. 64 bit / Win 8 64 bit. Most campus nodes are on 7 32 bit
 
 

I was kidding to lighten the argument. It's supposed to be a guy flipping a table but the forum auto coded an emoticon into it. Don't take it personal I run into this issue with older guys at work. You really have to keep an open mind in this industry or else you get left behind. Win 8 in my opinion is faster and the keyboard shortcuts tied into the win key are awesome. Preference is preference but Microsoft is pushing the next gen of computing to touch screen. I don't even use mine like I said because the keyboard rocks. Don't get left behind if you do this for a living.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #40
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

OK Guys. I value this forum so I apologise if I overstepped the line. I am a grumpy old guy at the moment. Have a bad heart as some of you may know and can no longer work and I am in a lot of pain so I can say nasty things sometimes (ask the wife). No hard feelings you got me at the wrong time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Start8 and ModernMix -- Windows 8's last, best hope for normality




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
what is best free "start8" type prog that will boot to desktop in win8
Start8 isnt free but provides a win 7 start menu/button and boots directly to desktop classic shell provides only the start menu for free can anyone tell me the best/good FREE program that does what start8 does....? thanks
Software
hope you all can help
About a week ago I started having issues with Chrome Crashing. Over the past few days I have come back to my computer & found that it has re-booted. Now today I have had a few BSD's wile in the middle of working in Chrome, Gmail, or Word, etc. I have attached a copy of the latest of 3 minidump...
BSOD Help and Support
Hi im new here hope you can help
Hi Everyone my name is Steve, I have a problem with my start menu appearing after i hit any key to return to my desktop after my monitor has gone off after the screen saver has been on then monitor goes off after. apart from periodical reboots for windows updates I never shut down down pc. im...
General Discussion
trouble with Windows Backup (hope I'm on the right board)
So in backing up my hard drive, everything seems to go off without a hitch, until it's finished. I always get the same notice: "The backup completed but some files were skipped." When I check which files were skipped, it's always the same four, with this file path: ...
Backup and Restore
Windows won't boot, hope you guys can help.
Daughter was on her usual morning video skype with her boyfriends in the middle east, when according to her, it said something about a problem with internet explorer "she thinks", then it did a forced shut down. Since then it shuts down and reboots every time it gets to the part just past the...
BSOD Help and Support
I hope anyone can tell me this.....?
I am looking where i can change this image file, or where i can change the color. I have seen it in other colors but i never found out how.:mad: I hope anyone knows cause i am getting annoyed by that little blue *****.
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App