Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Google Glass: Expect widespread usage bans over privacy concerns

25 Mar 2013   #1
Borg 386

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro
 
 
Google Glass: Expect widespread usage bans over privacy concerns

Quote:
A bar in Seattle has already generated buzz in tech communities with a preemptive strike against Google Glass. The proprietor doesn't want patrons to have to worry that someone with Google Glasses might be snapping photos. His patrons come in for privacy and he wants to keep it that way.

That may have been nothing more than a publicity stunt but it portends a greater problem for Google Glass. When the general public becomes aware of Google Glass and exactly what it does, expect to see a lot of reactions similar to that of the Seattle bar owner.
Google Glass: Expect widespread usage bans over privacy concerns | ZDNet

Quote:
Lawmakers in the US have proposed a bill outlawing operating a vehicle with head-mounted displays like Google Glass, even before the networked specs are commercially available.

West Virginia Legislature Republican Gary G Howell last week proposed a bill that would prohibit "using a wearable computer with head mounted display", preemptively bringing Google's technology in line with existing state bans on driving while texting or using a phone without a handsfree kit.

Howell told ZDNet's sister site CNET that he believes the government has a duty make sure citizens don't injure or kill someone else when they cross the road because they're reading a message.
Google Glass already facing driving ban as West Virginia preps law | ZDNet


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Mar 2013   #2
Gary

Win7 Pro SP1 64
 
 

It is my honest opinion that Google has gone too far with these Glasses. It appears that Privacy means nothing to them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #3
Cr00zng

Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, OSX Maverick
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gary View Post
It is my honest opinion that Google has gone too far with these Glasses. It appears that Privacy means nothing to them.
While I agree that Google may had gone too far with the glasses; however, I disagree that privacy means nothing to them. It actually means business for them...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Mar 2013   #4
Gary

Win7 Pro SP1 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cr00zng View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gary View Post
It is my honest opinion that Google has gone too far with these Glasses. It appears that Privacy means nothing to them.
While I agree that Google may had gone too far with the glasses; however, I disagree that privacy means nothing to them. It actually means business for them...
I meant their users privacy. Yes it does mean business to them at our cost.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #5
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

This was posted a week or two ago. Think it was in the Chill Out Room. . .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #6
x BlueRobot

 

Social networking sites, are just as bad or used to be, any photo, post, video or comment uploaded is owned by that company and therefore can be sold to third-parties, however, I'm not entirely sure if this is still the case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #7
Gary

Win7 Pro SP1 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by x BlueRobot View Post
Social networking sites, are just as bad or used to be, any photo, post, video or comment uploaded is owned by that company and therefore can be sold to third-parties, however, I'm not entirely sure if this is still the case.
I do not have a FB, or any other social networking stuff. I have seen too many people lose their jobs and worse by using FB. I have it blocked on my PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #8
x BlueRobot

 

Employers are starting to view people's profiles when they apply for positions, what happened to Equal Opportunities for all employees?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #9
Gary

Win7 Pro SP1 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by x BlueRobot View Post
Employers are starting to view people's profiles when they apply for positions, what happened to Equal Opportunities for all employees?
If a company is going to do a background check, they will look at everything they can find. I used to be in Law Enforcement many years ago before the Net and FB. But it is fair Game.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #10
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Nobody is being forced to use Google Glass. If someone does decide to, I'm sure they will be made aware of the consequences if they don't already know. Some people don't mind having all aspects of their lives put out there........although I am not one of those people.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Google Glass: Expect widespread usage bans over privacy concerns




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Google squashes widespread AdSense malvertising attack
Source A Guy
Security News
Microsoft on Kinect on Xbox:You should not expect any level of privacy
Expand Kinect for this particular statement Source A Guy
News
Google Glass
Google have released a new video today showing the view through Google Glass. BBC News - Google Glass features unveiled in preview video v1uyQZNg2vE http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/65979000/jpg/_65979510_65979509.jpg
Chillout Room
Don't expect to peer into Google cloud services security
More - Don't expect to peer into Google cloud services security
News
Windows Live Privacy Concerns
Interesting article by Woody Leonard in Windows Secrets Newsletter; See here for the full article:http://windowssecrets.com/comp/100722/
News
Google ditches Windows on security concerns
Financial Times A Guy
News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App