Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: May's Patch Tuesday to fix two critical flaws in Internet Explorer

17 May 2013   #21
Bongo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro
 
 

It will also change the shell32.dll, I have customized mine and now it's back to default will have to redo it now.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 May 2013   #22
prospero

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by prospero View Post
A bit odd, the two .NET Framework 4.5s were optional. I know little about what goes on under the hood so I install everything regardless, though I do always make my own restore point before downloading.
A backup HDD image is better.

Tutorials
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
Imaging with free Macrium

I prefer to use Macrium Reflect.

Ha, ha! Backups - a thing most of us intend to do but rarely get around to, which is why there are so many "HELP!" posts on this forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #23
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

So was this patch in the updates from yesterday or day before because I grouped up like 16 updates yesterday or does this only effect 8 ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 May 2013   #24
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
So was this patch in the updates from yesterday or day before because I grouped up like 16 updates yesterday or does this only effect 8 ?
Click on this link...
Update to improve messaging of dialog boxes when you run executable files in Windows
...and you can see what "this patch" applies to.

If by "this patch" you are talking about the info in the original post, then there were two main updates being talked about in the article that Brink linked to. The first update applied to IE6 thru IE10, so just image how many oerating systems that can apply to. The second update was for IE8.

The update that we are talking about with the DLL changes just happened to come in with other updates for May. There is nothing wrong with the update that I've seen or read about other than reverting OS customizations for some people.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #25
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
So was this patch in the updates from yesterday or day before because I grouped up like 16 updates yesterday or does this only effect 8 ?
Click on this link...
Update to improve messaging of dialog boxes when you run executable files in Windows
...and you can see what "this patch" applies to.

If by "this patch" you are talking about the info in the original post, then there were two main updates being talked about in the article that Brink linked to. The first update applied to IE6 thru IE10, so just image how many oerating systems that can apply to. The second update was for IE8.

The update that we are talking about with the DLL changes just happened to come in with other updates for May. There is nothing wrong with the update that I've seen or read about other than reverting OS customizations for some people.
Well since you put it this way that might of been part of my problem with IE when opening and closing getting a pop up of a error code that is why I wanted to know about the patches I will go ahead jump on your link and see what happens

According to the article all version were effected

I just took a look at the link and it also said they were provided in the Windows updates so yes I think I have it already just going to go over them thanks again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #26
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

This is the only one I seen for IE10 KB2829530

That is part of the one's I picked up yesterday also a screen shot of what I got


Attached Thumbnails
May's Patch Tuesday to fix two critical flaws in Internet Explorer-updates.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #27
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Uninstall KB2829530
If IE still gives an error, make a new thread here and someone smarter than I will come to your rescue :-)

If IE stops giving you an error, then make a new thread here and see if the gurus that frequent that sub-forum know of any issues with the update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #28
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Uninstall KB2829530
If IE still gives an error, make a new thread here and someone smarter than I will come to your rescue :-)

If IE stops giving you an error, then make a new thread here and see if the gurus that frequent that sub-forum know of any issues with the update.
To the contrary it hasn't happened in a while if it happens again anytime soon I will go ahead and do your advice but right now havn't seen anything
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #29
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

I see now that I read things wrong.
It sounds like the update cured a problem. :-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #30
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Reminder

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by prospero View Post
Ha, ha! Backups - a thing most of us intend to do but rarely get around to, which is why there are so many "HELP!" posts on this forum.
lol.

I use Patch Tuesday as a reminder to create my backup HDD images.

I've got too many backup images now.
I have backups dating back to 2009 (when I started playing around with the W7 betas).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 May's Patch Tuesday to fix two critical flaws in Internet Explorer




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Patch Tuesday: Microsoft to fix one critical Internet Explorer flaw
Read more at: Patch Tuesday: Microsoft to fix one critical Internet Explorer flaw | ZDNet
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App