Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Windows 8.2 Scheduled For January 2014


24 Nov 2013   #11

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Try compatibility mode for the driver's installer. The driver itself most likely would work as is, because the kernel is exactly the same (Vista, 7, 8, 2008 and 2012 all are Windows 6.X after all).
I've done that for installing drivers for Windows 7 into Win8 beta when testing it, no problem beyond the installer complaining about wrong version, after compatibility mode it worked as it should.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Nov 2013   #12

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gulls777 View Post

Windows 8 drivers aren't working on 8.1, same's gonna happen again???
Until happens - it's hard to say. It all depends on what they change this time.
Earlier once you get the drivers, you knew that you are set for 3 years till the next major OS version come along.
I got my XPS in 2011 with windows 7. Then next year 8 came out and Dell provided full support for 8. But now 8 drivers aren't working with 8.1 and i don't think Dell is gonna bother with this old laptop now. They have long list of currently being sold laptops to provide support to.
If it would have been Windows 8 SP1, i didn't have to worry about anything.
Releasing 8.1 so quick means all the software development done for 8 is useless now?? what a waste.

Have also bought an Inspiron 5520 in 2012 and a 5521 in 2013 for home use. Both got drivers for 8.1. But if 8.2 again required new drivers, i am sure 5520 will be left behind and only 5521 will get official support.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2013   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
Try compatibility mode for the driver's installer. The driver itself most likely would work as is, because the kernel is exactly the same (Vista, 7, 8, 2008 and 2012 all are Windows 6.X after all).
I've done that for installing drivers for Windows 7 into Win8 beta when testing it, no problem beyond the installer complaining about wrong version, after compatibility mode it worked as it should.
have tried that. Some are working, while some drivers i got from Intel/Nvidia websites, still few drivers having hiccups.

Well i am a Windows 7 user anyway, just trying to point out the situation microsoft is putting its customers into.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Nov 2013   #14

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

They really need to stop calling it "Windows". Since the advent of of version 8, it really is "blocks" or "Panels". Microsoft blocks 8.2... hmmm.. Sounds more like it

<sigh> Couldn't resist.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2013   #15

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
This type of thread is also running on the W8 Forums -- obviously some updates need to be done - but a NEW version so soon after W8 and W8.1 -- businesses can never move this quick - stuff needs to be tested etc and this can take YEARS so I'd expect that if this IS true Windows 7 just got itself another LONG lease of life - especially in the corporate sector.

Cheers
jimbo
And my sector. I committed to Win 7 until just before 2020 after I first saw Win 8. Whatever M$ does after this is too little, too late.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2013   #16

Windows 7 x64 and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TanyaC View Post
They really need to stop calling it "Windows". Since the advent of of version 8, it really is "blocks" or "Panels". Microsoft blocks 8.2... hmmm.. Sounds more like it

<sigh> Couldn't resist.
Window Bricks is a better name. Or Window Wall, we used to have Windows but we bricked them up.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2013   #17

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TanyaC View Post
They really need to stop calling it "Windows". Since the advent of of version 8, it really is "blocks" or "Panels". Microsoft blocks 8.2... hmmm.. Sounds more like it

<sigh> Couldn't resist.
Window Bricks is a better name. Or Window Wall, we used o have Windows but we bricked them up.....
Window Tax might be a better name then maybe?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2013   #18
scr

Windows 7 Home Premium sp1 - 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TanyaC View Post
They really need to stop calling it "Windows". Since the advent of of version 8, it really is "blocks" or "Panels". Microsoft blocks 8.2... hmmm.. Sounds more like it

<sigh> Couldn't resist.
Window Bricks is a better name. Or Window Wall, we used o have Windows but we bricked them up.....
Window Tax might be a better name then maybe?

Windowless.. maybe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2013   #19

Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
 
 

so if they are going to release Windows 8.2, does that also mean that us Windows 7 users will get IE12 as well
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2013   #20

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by techtitan100 View Post
so if they are going to release Windows 8.2, does that also mean that us Windows 7 users will get IE12 as well
They need to finish fixing IE11 first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Windows 8.2 Scheduled For January 2014




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Microsoft Windows 8.2 Scheduled For January 2014
Thread Forum
Windows XP post April 2014: Non-Microsoft support emerges News
Microsoft to launch the new Office commercially on January 29 News
Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for January 8 2013 Windows Updates & Activation
Microsoft Security Bulletin for January 10 2012 Windows Updates & Activation
Microsoft Security Bulletin for January 21, 2010 System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33