Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Windows 8.2 Scheduled For January 2014

03 Dec 2013   #31
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Threshold is the next "wave" of windows updates just as "Blue" is the current wave for all systems.

Microsoft codename 'Threshold': The next major Windows wave takes shape | ZDNet

Quote:
Before Microsoft gets to Threshold, the company is on track to deliver an update
to Windows 8.1 (known as Windows 8.1 Update 1) around the same time that it
delivers Windows Phone "Blue" (Windows Phone 8.1). That's supposedly happening
in the spring 2014/Q2 2014 timeframe, from what my sources have said
A spring update but not 8.2

Jim


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Dec 2013   #32
Gator

Dual Boot: Windows 8.1 & Server 2012r2 VMs: Kali Linux, Backbox, Matriux, Windows 8.1
 
 

I wish there was a real alternative to Windows like PS4 is to Xbone. If there was a good option that was competitive with Windows while maintaining a similar GUI/user experience, we could get them to do something like they did when they did a 180 on the ridiculous restrictions they put on the XBone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2013   #33
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Geesh, some vendors must be creamin' in the jeans; they get to make more money from their crappy software with pay for updates while also passing the blame on Microsoft for their products not working properly.

How many times have we heard the ole "sorry but your version of Windows isn't supported at this time; please contact Microsoft" Click
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Dec 2013   #34
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mhansen1 View Post
I wish there was a real alternative to Windows like PS4 is to Xbone. If there was a good option that was competitive with Windows while maintaining a similar GUI/user experience, we could get them to do something like they did when they did a 180 on the ridiculous restrictions they put on the XBone.
Hi there.

If you really want a Windows alternative there are some serious contenders now

For example the latest version of OPENSUSE LINUX version 13.1 -- Gorgeous Plasma KDE screen (KDE v4) , installs like a dream and any windows user wouldn't have any problem with it now -- even plugging in a USB3 drive it found the disk direct plug'n play -- no problems --read and write too. VLC handles media playing and as for streaming / server operation -- well this is where Linux has always been far superior to Windows -- and don't even START me on about Windows networking.

For stuff you MUST use windows for -- simply install VBOX / vmplayer and run windows as a VM -- or try XEN or KVM - these are a bit more complex so I'd suggest stick with vmplayer / vbox.

I'm currently logged on to a W8.1 Enterprise VM using VMware on Opensuse 13.1 -- haven't had a single problem. I've also got a W7 VM x-64 -- runs fine too.

(Note for complete beginners - to get DVD / multi-media read installing Multi-media -- you need to add stuff from PACMAN repository but the documentation is quite good).

Some Linux distros have come a LONG LONG way for desktop users recently -- even if you tried Linux say two years ago you should be pleasantly surprised -- some Distros are even more "Windows" than Windows !!!.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #35
vaidas3

Windows 7 pro 64bit. (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there.

If you really want a Windows alternative there are some serious contenders now

For example the latest version of OPENSUSE LINUX version 13.1 -- Gorgeous Plasma KDE screen (KDE v4) , installs like a dream and any windows user wouldn't have any problem with it now -- even plugging in a USB3 drive it found the disk direct plug'n play -- no problems --read and write too. VLC handles media playing and as for streaming / server operation -- well this is where Linux has always been far superior to Windows -- and don't even START me on about Windows networking.

For stuff you MUST use windows for -- simply install VBOX / vmplayer and run windows as a VM -- or try XEN or KVM - these are a bit more complex so I'd suggest stick with vmplayer / vbox.

I'm currently logged on to a W8.1 Enterprise VM using VMware on Opensuse 13.1 -- haven't had a single problem. I've also got a W7 VM x-64 -- runs fine too.

(Note for complete beginners - to get DVD / multi-media read installing Multi-media -- you need to add stuff from PACMAN repository but the documentation is quite good).

Some Linux distros have come a LONG LONG way for desktop users recently -- even if you tried Linux say two years ago you should be pleasantly surprised -- some Distros are even more "Windows" than Windows !!!.

Cheers
jimbo

Is Linux version of VLC better than windows?
Because IMHO windows VLC is quite bad.. I deal with many video formats and containers and subtitles.
VLC is only good when file is damaged and no other player can play it.
I prefer to install filters and codecs that I need and use player that can use them (even WMP can do that).

And there is still gaming that Linux loses to windows quite bad.

Linux made far to be home user friendly but its still quite far from windows.
Even with windows 8 there is 3rd party software to bring back start menu etc..
I use windows 8 in desktop mode only an IMHO its better than Linux for home user that sometimes does some gaming.
Virtual pc just doesn't have enough power for some tasks especially for gaming
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #36
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

I hate to say it; but these all are just examples of why i will be sticking with windows 7. And I hope 7 is here to stay for a little while.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #37
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
I hate to say it; but these all are just examples of why i will be sticking with windows 7. And I hope 7 is here to stay for a little while.
EOL for Win 7 is 01/14/2013. You (and I) have a little over six years to go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #38
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
I hate to say it; but these all are just examples of why i will be sticking with windows 7. And I hope 7 is here to stay for a little while.
EOL for Win 7 is 01/14/2013. You (and I) have a little over six years to go.
unfortunately yes. Then it looks like i will probably have to upgrade my motherboard and then switch to whatever version of windows ends up being the most current at that time. unless my mb somehow will still be able to support the newest version of windows. But i doubt it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #39
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

After six years, I'm sure my machine will need upgrading (if I haven't done so already). Whether it will be for Windows, Linux, choke Mac OS gasp, or whatever remains to be seen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #40
kbronski

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

If Microsoft can provide an installation option that allows you to use the Windows-7-Style GUI, then I'll get it. I'm intrigued to see how this new boot manager and networking support will work. Otherwise, I'll be sticking with 7 until something actually useful comes around.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Windows 8.2 Scheduled For January 2014




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
No, Microsoft isn't killing Windows 7 on October 31st 2014
Read more...
News
Microsoft to highlight its 'One Windows' progress at Build 2014
Read more at: Microsoft to highlight its 'One Windows' progress at Build 2014 | ZDNet
News
Windows XP post April 2014: Non-Microsoft support emerges
Windows XP post April 2014: Non-Microsoft support emerges | ZDNet
News
Microsoft Security Bulletin for January 10 2012
Microsoft Security Bulletin for January 10 2012 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for January 13 2012 Published: January 10 2011 Note: There may be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep refreshing Note: Security Center - Bulletins Advisories Tools Guidance...
Windows Updates & Activation
Microsoft Security Bulletin for January 21, 2010
Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for January 21, 2010 (out of band) Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for January 21, 2010 Published: January 21 2010 Note: There may be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep refreshing Note: ...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App