Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Windows 7 support and sales cutoff dates


07 Dec 2013   #21
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Well, they even mucked it up for tablets.

One of the functions I like to use on my Nexus 7 is navigation. But with the Windows 8.1 tablets that is a no-go. MS changed the program interface to the GPS/GNSS sensors so that the (few) Windows navigation programs don't work any more.

Dell did not even bother any more to put a sensor on their new Venue 8 Pro. I RMAd the one I had ordered when found out the facts.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Dec 2013   #22

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Jimbo, what was your point? That cars are cheaper than trains?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2013   #23

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Jimbo, what was your point? That cars are cheaper than trains?
Hi there

The point was that you could ALWAYS stick with old technology if you want to -- the quote was saying that you can still use HORSES for travel - but most people would certainly prefer to use Cars, trains or even a Bus. The price wasn't actually the point at issue here --in any case the old PC with Windows 3.1 on it was in relative terms HUGELY more expensive than even a top level laptop today.

The economy (certainly where I am) is showing good signs of revival so it's not only lack of funds that are stopping people buy Laptops and it's not Windows either --in any case you can always install Linux / Windows 7 or whatever on your laptop if you so want.

It's just that the PC currently doesn't fit into a lot of peoples plans any more - also anybody who bought a PC even 4 years ago will still have a reasonable machine and doesn't really need to buy a new one just yet.

The PC market will recover slightly but it will never again reach the heights of a few years ago when it was the ONLY suitable device for performing a lot of tasks that can easily be done today on other hardware.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Dec 2013   #24

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

The sole reason I stopped purchasing PC components and building PCs, or even buying PCs is the significant rise in hardware costs.

In Australia in the last 12 months memory prices have risen by as much as 40%. Typical component price rises are around 20% - 25%.

Some are blaming the devaluation of the AUD against the USD as the reason, though this seems like smoke and mirrors to me. It may have contributed, but it not by a long shot the sole cause.

For companies to whine about declining PC sales, who then raise prices by such staggering amounts, it's no wonder sales are declining and it serves them right, though the end users are the ones who lose in the long run.

At the risk of inciting a riot - For most mobile computing is a nice to have "gimmicky" way of doing basic tasks. Real productivity comes from less portable devices. I dont use cloud computing, Facebook, or any social networking. I don't play games designed for 2 year old's, and as such don;t have any need whatsoever for portable computing.

Microsoft's Bricks operating system (8.0/8.1) only exacerbates the problem.

I stopped upgrading and buying PCs and PC hardware because of the dramatic price rises.

I started moving all PCs and those of people who seek my assistance to Linux because of Microsoft Bricks 8.x.

The two together, at least here is Australia, seem to be what is killing the PC market, along with the rampant brainwashed consumerism of our societies declining intelligence and dependence on toys.

</end rant>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #25

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TanyaC View Post
The sole reason I stopped purchasing PC components and building PCs, or even buying PCs is the significant rise in hardware costs.

In Australia in the last 12 months memory prices have risen by as much as 40%. Typical component price rises are around 20% - 25%.

Some are blaming the devaluation of the AUD against the USD as the reason, though this seems like smoke and mirrors to me...
'Tis. The USA has had the same price increases. I'm so glad I bought my RAM when I did. The biggest reason I won't be building anything for some time, however, is I now have a PC that works just fine. I might make additions (primarily, more storage and a TV tuner or two), but, other than that, I'm done for a while.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #26

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I don't care if they cut it off. So long as I need to keep an old OS on hand to play certain older games, I will. I'll buy W8 or whatever succeeds it if and when I'm to the point I need it to run current things, but not until then and I'll still keep an old PC on hand to play the games that the new Windows doesn't support.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #27

Windows 7 x64 and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Yeah Tanya, 16GB of DDR3 1600 memory costs 25 to 30 % more than 32Gb of the same thing six months ago. It is frightening the price of 8Gb is crazy. The price of 32Gb is $350 as much as a complete barebones basic system (minus ram) from AMD or even Intel. I suspect it has to do with the memory factory being destroyed in the Japan earthquake.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #28

 
 
Microsoft Windows 7 support and sales cutoff dates

I can't believe people still buy a copy Windows rather than just getting a new computer. I get that a handful of people have very minimalist needs from their computers. But a new computer is 1/100th the price of a new computer 15 or 20 years ago.

Upgrading to Pro or Ultimate I can understand for various scenarios. But a PC that was preinstalled with XP or even Vista? Doesn't seem like a wise investment. If all one is looking for are new features; they are likely to enjoy them more than resent them on new hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #29
Microsoft MVP

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spyderbite View Post
I can't believe people still buy a copy Windows rather than just getting a new computer.
A lot of enthusiasts like me build their own desktop PC's. I also upgrade it over time, hardware and software. I will likely never ever buy a prebuilt desktop PC.

Not everyone can afford to just go out and buy a new PC every time Microsoft releases a new OS. If you already own a high end PC it makes more sense to just buy the newer version of Windows if that's what you want.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #30

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spyderbite View Post
I can't believe people still buy a copy Windows rather than just getting a new computer.
A lot of enthusiasts like me build their own desktop PC's. I also upgrade it over time, hardware and software. I will likely never ever buy a prebuilt desktop PC.

Not everyone can afford to just go out and buy a new PC every time Microsoft releases a new OS. If you already own a high end PC it makes more sense to just buy the newer version of Windows if that's what you want.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Windows 7 support and sales cutoff dates




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33