Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Two-thirds of Americans surf the Web at less than 10Mbps

03 Feb 2014   #31
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

And if you're in Australia, 90% of you surf the web at less than 5mbps.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Feb 2014   #32
Ranger4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
 
 

That's definitely right TanyaC, I am lucky to get more than 3mbps, with wireless broadband in a country area.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2014   #33
GARoss

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

At home our DSL internet is 5-6mbs. Checking my iPad with 4G speed while shopping in local towns 13 & 25 miles away from home (pop 4,500 & 15,000 respectively) internet is 19mbs & 36mbs. Where I need the fastest internet, I can't get it. Where I don't need it, I do!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Feb 2014   #34
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Agreed

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TanyaC View Post
And if you're in Australia, 90% of you surf the web at less than 5mbps.
Agreed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2014   #35
crankypenguin

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You guys should move to Poland. The competition here is so fierce with cable providers; there is literally like 10 in my area, they will literally call you up and ask what speed you have and if you would like a faster service. I currently have around 30/7~ internet, cable with around 100 channels ( I do not watch TV, but the other person who resides here does ) and phone with unlimited international calling for about 45 dollars a month. Now tell me that is not a sweet deal? I checked my bandwidth usage, it exceeds 4tb a month down and 400gbs up. That is on average.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2014   #36
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
You guys should move to Poland. The competition here is so fierce with cable providers; there is literally like 10 in my area, they will literally call you up and ask what speed you have and if you would like a faster service. I currently have around 30/7~ internet, cable with around 100 channels ( I do not watch TV, but the other person who resides here does ) and phone with unlimited international calling for about 45 dollars a month. Now tell me that is not a sweet deal? I checked my bandwidth usage, it exceeds 4tb a month down and 400gbs up. That is on average.
We basically have 1.5 companies here is Aus. Telstra and Optus. Optus's share is so small it doesn't really count. With almost no competition Telstra gives customers the worst service they can. If they complain, they just keep charging them fees as punishment for reporting problems.

There is no legislation protecting customers, the mediating body (The Telecommunications Ombudsman), is gutless and controlled by the ISPs. There is nowhere for us to go...

</ENDRANT>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2014   #37
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

10Mbs? That's way better than my crappy 1mbs connection, all internet packages here are damn expensive. Consider yourselves lucky.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2014   #38
crankypenguin

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TanyaC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
You guys should move to Poland. The competition here is so fierce with cable providers; there is literally like 10 in my area, they will literally call you up and ask what speed you have and if you would like a faster service. I currently have around 30/7~ internet, cable with around 100 channels ( I do not watch TV, but the other person who resides here does ) and phone with unlimited international calling for about 45 dollars a month. Now tell me that is not a sweet deal? I checked my bandwidth usage, it exceeds 4tb a month down and 400gbs up. That is on average.
We basically have 1.5 companies here is Aus. Telstra and Optus. Optus's share is so small it doesn't really count. With almost no competition Telstra gives customers the worst service they can. If they complain, they just keep charging them fees as punishment for reporting problems.

There is no legislation protecting customers, the mediating body (The Telecommunications Ombudsman), is gutless and controlled by the ISPs. There is nowhere for us to go...

</ENDRANT>
Wow, I would be up at night climbing the cable poles outside my house *doing things* lol to get better speed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2014   #39
Joan Archer

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/Windows 10 64bit
 
 

There are still areas in this country that don't have service, or if they do it's probably dial up speed. My broadband is via phone line the most download I ever get is just below 4mbps and the upload is a steady 0.38mbps.

I have unlimited usage for broadband and that along with line rental and anytime unlimited usage of the phone costs are about 36 a month. Some parts of the country do have fibre which gives better speed but that's not something that's likely to happen in the area I live.

The speed I get works for me at present as streaming live movies or music and other high usage activities is not something I do. I do use iPlayer on the odd occasion to watch a program I missed and that goes for Sky player as well.

My usage for a months broadband is usually between 10 to 20 GB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2014   #40
strollin

W10 Pro desktop, W10 laptop, W10 laptop, W10 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TanyaC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
You guys should move to Poland. The competition here is so fierce with cable providers; there is literally like 10 in my area, they will literally call you up and ask what speed you have and if you would like a faster service. I currently have around 30/7~ internet, cable with around 100 channels ( I do not watch TV, but the other person who resides here does ) and phone with unlimited international calling for about 45 dollars a month. Now tell me that is not a sweet deal? I checked my bandwidth usage, it exceeds 4tb a month down and 400gbs up. That is on average.
We basically have 1.5 companies here is Aus. Telstra and Optus. Optus's share is so small it doesn't really count. With almost no competition Telstra gives customers the worst service they can. If they complain, they just keep charging them fees as punishment for reporting problems.

There is no legislation protecting customers, the mediating body (The Telecommunications Ombudsman), is gutless and controlled by the ISPs. There is nowhere for us to go...

</ENDRANT>
Wow, I would be up at night climbing the cable poles outside my house *doing things* lol to get better speed.
Climbing cable poles wouldn't do you any good where I live, there are no cable poles. There's a difference between having faster service available but not using it and having no better choice.

My guess is that you live in a city, which is why you have so many choices. Some of us live in rural areas. Where I live there is no DSL, no cable, no FIOS available because the companies don't want to spend the money to bring those services here since there aren't enough customers to subscribe for them to get a return on their investment. My connection is wireless (essentiallly long-range wifi), I have an antenna on the roof of my house that points to an antenna on a mountain on the other side of the valley from me.

The US government wants everyone to have broadband available to them and provides money to ISPs to expand their service. My ISP has told me that they are in the process of trying to receive funding to be able to bring a much faster connection to my house. However, whenever I ask for a time frame as to when I will see that happen, they tell me 18-24 months (they've been telling me this for at least 18 months now) so I'm not counting on it anytime soon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Two-thirds of Americans surf the Web at less than 10Mbps




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
One-third of Americans now own a tablet, Pew finds
Source A Guy
News
Any reason for 802.11n wireless router if ISP d/l speed is 10mbps?
I currently have a download speed of 10mbps from my Internet service provider. There are times my wife is streaming on one device, and I am streaming from another. All devices support 802.11n. My wireless router, however, supports up to 802.11g. This seems like a stupid question, but is there...
Hardware & Devices
Question for all you non-Americans :)
My friend and I were watching Monday Night Football last night and started talking about international TV. To make a long story short, in whatever country you are from do they broadcast American TV shows? We were just wondering... We don't really get any TV shows from other countries (unless of...
Chillout Room
Belkin F5D8236-4 v2 and CPU LAN connected @ 10Mbps
I'm having a minor problem using Windows 7. My LAN speed in only connected at 10.0 Mbps. What should I do to get back the 100.0 Mbps speed?:o I can assure you that it's the little 'b' and not the capital 'B'.
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:36.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App