Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hell no, we won't go: 10 reasons some XP users refuse to upgrade

22 Feb 2014   #11
jimroad471

win 7 pro 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Where did you get that iso for 61 bucks. I hope you did not get a lemon.
I went to DIGISOFT and paid 61.99 and then they send you a pdf with a VALID key and links for the OS you want....the prices have jump a bit higher but not much. I gave them an A1 rating for service and quality

go for it,,,it works fine


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Feb 2014   #12
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimroad471 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Where did you get that iso for 61 bucks. I hope you did not get a lemon.
I went to DIGISOFT and paid 61.99 and then they send you a pdf with a VALID key and links for the OS you want....the prices have jump a bit higher but not much. I gave them an A1 rating for service and quality

go for it,,,it works fine
Thanks, looks indeed like they have a couple of 32bit versions for low prices. I guess 32bit might be OK for people who have former XP systems. They seem to be even retail versions. That is a good XP migration path.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2014   #13
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
Will M$ loose out on this?
Probably not..

If they don't upgrade to Win8, then there's Win7, or Win9, or the next.....
MS are risking that people will find out that they aren't the "only game in town".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Feb 2014   #14
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
Will M$ loose out on this?
Probably not..

If they don't upgrade to Win8, then there's Win7, or Win9, or the next.....
MS are risking that people will find out that they aren't the "only game in town".
That is a good thing. It is about time that the PC market gets some more diversification. That will stimulate the developers of the other systems to work even harder.

I only wish that the Linux people could get together and agree on 2 or 3 mainstrem systems. The current chaos there is the biggest inhibitor for Linux growth - I think. Having many options is a nice concept (in theory). But if it takes a user 6 months to find even the right distro, then that is no good. And the resources being spread thinly over that many versions does not help either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2014   #15
King Arthur

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
Will M$ loose out on this?
Probably not..

If they don't upgrade to Win8, then there's Win7, or Win9, or the next.....
MS are risking that people will find out that they aren't the "only game in town".
That is a good thing. It is about time that the PC market gets some more diversification. That will stimulate the developers of the other systems to work even harder.

I only wish that the Linux people could get together and agree on 2 or 3 mainstrem systems. The current chaos there is the biggest inhibitor for Linux growth - I think. Having many options is a nice concept (in theory). But if it takes a user 6 months to find even the right distro, then that is no good. And the resources being spread thinly over that many versions does not help either.
2 or 3 is 1 or 2 too many in my opinion, especially since some distros aren't binary-compatible with each other. Centralizing and standardizing around one distro with one desktop environment (essentially what Android did) would go a long towards popularizing desktop Linux because users would only need to learn one thing and hard/software developers would only need to develop for one thing.

Also, Linux could do well to make installing software from any source as easy as doing it on Windows. I know the merits of repositories, but at the end of it I can't help but see them as just glorified "app" (my god I hate that word) stores.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2014   #16
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I seetle for 2 - one Debian 2 based (Debian 3 sucks) and one for the Red Hat fans.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2014   #17
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
. . let have a raise of hands of those who really and truly care whether those who wish to stay on Xp do just that. . .
*noticeable lack of hand raised*


As long as I don't have to use it, I'm not bothered.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2014   #18
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I even made a little roadmap for those poor souls, LOL

XP Migrator Roadmap | PC Help Forum
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2014   #19
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
. . let have a raise of hands of those who really and truly care whether those who wish to stay on Xp do just that. . .
I don't care what anybody else is using, I make my own choices and right now it is 8.1.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2014   #20
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
MS are risking that people will find out that they aren't the "only game in town".
That is a good thing. It is about time that the PC market gets some more diversification. That will stimulate the developers of the other systems to work even harder.
Sure (from our point of view).

I'm not sure that MS would think so though.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
2 or 3 is 1 or 2 too many in my opinion, especially since some distros aren't binary-compatible with each other. Centralizing and standardizing around one distro with one desktop environment (essentially what Android did) would go a long towards popularizing desktop Linux because users would only need to learn one thing and hard/software developers would only need to develop for one thing.
The trouble is that if there was only one Linux distro available, the risk is that they would emulate MS and Apple.

Also, if they "got it wrong", it could take out the whole desktop Linux effort.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
Also, Linux could do well to make installing software from any source as easy as doing it on Windows. I know the merits of repositories, but at the end of it I can't help but see them as just glorified "app" (my god I hate that word) stores.
If there was only one Linux distro, installing could be eliminated as an issue (i.e. there'd only be one GUI and one Terminal method needed).

I hate that word too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hell no, we won't go: 10 reasons some XP users refuse to upgrade




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Five Reasons not to “Upgrade” to Windows’ Internet Explorer 9
Fair warning here, the author clearly has an Anti Microsoft agenda. This becomes obvious within the first 2 paragraphs, so the "information" may or may not be accurate. Still, it is in an interesting article. More at: Five Reasons not to “Upgrade” to Windows’ Internet Explorer 9 | ZDNet
News
IE9 RTW - 9 Reasons Chrome and Firefox Users Will Love It
IE9 RTW - 9 Reasons Chrome and Firefox Users Will Love It - Softpedia
News
10 reasons why it is worth the upgrade to Windows 7
Author:Liviu Mihai Source:Windows 7 - 10 motive pentru care merită upgrade-ul la Windows 7 Translated by me!
General Discussion
Windows 7: Four reasons to upgrade, four reasons to st
Opinion: Microsoft's new OS offers the best of upgrading, the worst of upgrading The release of Windows 7 to manufacturing begins a tale of two operating systems: the one you want and the one you don't. It is packed with improvements and cool stuff, but it still carries a whiff of Vista that may...
News
Partner Webinar: Top 10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 7
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App