Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Normal service is resumed as Windows 7's growth once again.....

29 Jun 2014   #171
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Breaks Updater If Uninstalled

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
1. Just what is Foxit's Cloud Sync? What does it do and why is it so bad? I didn't see anything about it on Foxit's website.
I believe that it is some sort of online sharing/storage.
https://www.foxitcloud.com/

Here is a SevenForums thread:
What is Foxit CloudReading?

I don't use Cloud Sharing/Storage/Syncing (if I have any say in the matter).

Actually ... I was forced to install Dropbox, so that I could send files to my TAFE lecturers.
The TAFE upload limit is too small for some subject exercises.

If you uninstall Foxit Cloud, the built-in updater doesn't work (on my PC at least).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
2. What Foxit program are you using? I've been looking at their Phantom PDF Standard and Business.
I'm using this version:
Free PDF Reader | PDF Viewer | Foxit Reader Download


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Jun 2014   #172
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there

I can't understand this thing about Windows 8 looking horrible with square tiles etc -- if you install Windows 8.1 update 1 you NEVER have to see the square tiles if you don't want to. Boot straight to desktop has been available for some time now.

I use a custom toolbar which gives me a classic cascading menu, I also pin applications to the quick launch taskbar and desktop -- and apart from the Windows symbol instead of the W7 menu Orb my desktop looks identical to what I have for W7 (I use a custom toolbar for W7 too) -- the W7 menu looks quite out of place BTW on a large monitor --try it on a 60 inch screen. The small "XP" like items shown are much more suitable for a cascading menu.

You can even run Metro apps from the desktop (or custom toolbar) if you want - without ever seeing the "Tiles" of the standard W8 start.

I prefer the custom toolbar approach anyway as you can CHOOSE your own items to have on your menu rather than have all the Ms stuff.


Cheers
jimbo


Attached Thumbnails
Normal service is resumed as Windows 7's growth once again.....-metro5.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2014   #173
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Regarding the Foxit posts, I started a thread on their forum as user David_E.
I think I now understand Open Candy is not "Malware in and of itself"...
I feel I've been lucky that MBAM blocked this PUP.

Some folks have not been so lucky ...
Does Foxit Reader free 6.1.4.0217 have malware? - Foxit Corporation Forums

Just be careful with this install ... imho
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jun 2014   #174
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Sumatra is a way better/light as a feather pdf reader if you really need one installed. Honestly unless your using internet explorer, there is no need for a pdf program. Most browsers have built in support so there is no need for one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2014   #175
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dskiller View Post
something has been bothering me about windows 8.

and thats it been designed assuming everyone that bought a computer with it on it,will have an internet connection. just like the xbox one.

yes you can get 8.1 on cd, but if you dont have a internet connection or have dialup,like my mom. you wont be able to get the updates. or download thirdparty software for startmenu and such.
Yeah those are sorta pre-requisites for computer use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2014   #176
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Regarding the Foxit posts, I started a thread on their forum as user David_E.
I think I now understand Open Candy is not "Malware in and of itself"...
I feel I've been lucky that MBAM blocked this PUP.

Some folks have not been so lucky ...
Does Foxit Reader free 6.1.4.0217 have malware? - Foxit Corporation Forums

Just be careful with this install ... imho

Hi there

Unfortunately this is a common trend these days --obfuscate the REAL download with all sorts of other green arrows etc - deliberately hoping people will download and install the WRONG software -- I HATE those types of (increasingly common) websites. Always take real care when downloading anything -- even legit places like adobe often have "toolbars" and other "free software" clicked by default -- in fact don't double check but TRIPLE CHECK before clicking the download button.

Another one that is a total pain to remove is BUBBLEDOCK. If this gets installed your best bet is to re-install Windows again from scratch. Ignore the removal links in the article -- this piece of cr@pware goes so deep into your system that it's actually quicker to re-install windows than keep finding and removing traces of this stuff.

Bubble Dock or a variant of Win32/BubbleDock.A Removal Report

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2014   #177
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there

Unfortunately this is a common trend these days --obfuscate the REAL download with all sorts of other green arrows etc - deliberately hoping people will download and install the WRONG software -- I HATE those types of (increasingly common) websites. Always take real care when downloading anything -- even legit places like adobe often have "toolbars" and other "free software" clicked by default -- in fact don't double check but TRIPLE CHECK before clicking the download button.

Another one that is a total pain to remove is BUBBLEDOCK. If this gets installed your best bet is to re-install Windows again from scratch. Ignore the removal links in the article -- this piece of cr@pware goes so deep into your system that it's actually quicker to re-install windows than keep finding and removing traces of this stuff.

Bubble Dock or a variant of Win32/BubbleDock.A Removal Report

Cheers
jimbo
Fully agree with this Jimbo. So many times the real download link is a very tiny text link at the bottom of a page or buried in the page somewhere.
Years ago before I was wise I got a piece of crap called "Spyware Sherriff". This added a flashing icon to the taskbar and would display a big popup every few minutes telling me I needed to buy it to get rid of 100's of infections.
One thing I've started also is either run the URL or the .exe file through VirusTotal.com.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2014   #178
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
1. Just what is Foxit's Cloud Sync? What does it do and why is it so bad? I didn't see anything about it on Foxit's website.
I believe that it is some sort of online sharing/storage.
https://www.foxitcloud.com/

Here is a SevenForums thread:
What is Foxit CloudReading?

I don't use Cloud Sharing/Storage/Syncing (if I have any say in the matter).

Actually ... I was forced to install Dropbox, so that I could send files to my TAFE lecturers.
The TAFE upload limit is too small for some subject exercises.

If you uninstall Foxit Cloud, the built-in updater doesn't work (on my PC at least).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
2. What Foxit program are you using? I've been looking at their Phantom PDF Standard and Business.
I'm using this version:
Free PDF Reader | PDF Viewer | Foxit Reader Download
Thanks for those links; very informative. I need far more than just a reader. After reading though the linked sites, PDF X-Change Pro looks a bit more attractive than Foxit. Again, I have until 2016-2017 to make a decision.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2014   #179
gregrocker

 

I just haven't seen enough problems with Adobe Reader to go looking for anything else. I've put it on all of my installs for years. Works fine. I just turn it off at Startup in its Prefs or msconfig.

It's also pretty obvious when you're at the Adobe download site, since so many of us go there for Flash updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2014   #180
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I just haven't seen enough problems with Adobe Reader to go looking for anything else. I've put it on all of my installs for years. Works fine. I just turn it off at Startup in its Prefs or msconfig.

It's also pretty obvious when you're at the Adobe download site, since so many of us go there for Flash updates.
Security is the main issue.

Adobe reader is like java. It should be avoided.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Normal service is resumed as Windows 7's growth once again.....




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Strange aquarium growth
I keep freshwater tropical fish and ever since I started using a different brand of fish food flakes (from China that smelt rather rank a real strong fishy smell) my tank is gradually being taken over by a growth of what looks to all intents and purposes a dark green / grey growth of cat's fur. ...
Chillout Room
AVG Posts Record Growth,Surpasses More Than 110 Million
Source - http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability_management/security/antivirus/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222400155&subSection=Antivirus
Chillout Room
Nvidia looks to Windows 7, 'Tegra' for growth
CNET News
News
Microsoft’s 5th annual Growth and Innovation Day
Growth and Innovation Day 2009 . Microsoft
News
CNET: "Will Windows 7 stymie Mac OS X's growth?"
Read the rest: Will Windows 7 stymie Mac OS X's growth? | The Digital Home - CNET News
News
GPU Market: Strongest Growth In Six Years
GPU market delivers strongest quarterly growth in six years. Jon Peddie Research (JPR) released its Q3 2008 figures for the GPU market today. Despite the slowing economy, the GPU industry continues to grow. This has been a general trend for the tech industry throughout 2008, and may reflect the...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App