Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft exec admits new reality: Market share no longer 90%, it's 14

15 Jul 2014   #11
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RoasterMen View Post
Ughh. I won't bother playing games with touch screen, it's horrible.
You don't have to use the Modern GUI, the Desktop is almost exactly like Win7.

People who haven't used Win8 (more precisely 8.1 update 1) just don't know what they're talking about.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
W8 should have been dual gui's, at least being simple to switch between the two.
Desktops for business would proceed as usual, tablet users could get accustomed to the new Metro concept.
That's exactly what Win8.1 update 1 is!

MS didn't miss the boat (unless you accept what Boozad said - they were late to the game (as usual)).
Every release of Windows has growing pains. No release was perfect right out of the door, none!

If you want to bash MS or Win8, that's your prerogative, but you shouldn't parrot bad information and misconceptions.

Install Win8.1 update 1 and then cite what you don't like. I think a lot of people will be surprised.

This really is my last post on the subject (I promise), there's no point in debating anyone that doesn't have first hand knowledge.

(unsubscribed)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jul 2014   #12
Iforgot

Win7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RoasterMen View Post
Ughh. I won't bother playing games with touch screen, it's horrible.
You don't have to use the Modern GUI, the Desktop is almost exactly like Win7.

People who haven't used Win8 (more precisely 8.1 update 1) just don't know what they're talking about.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
W8 should have been dual gui's, at least being simple to switch between the two.
Desktops for business would proceed as usual, tablet users could get accustomed to the new Metro concept.
That's exactly what Win8.1 update 1 is!

MS didn't miss the boat (unless you accept what Boozad said - they were late to the game (as usual)).
Every release of Windows has growing pains. No release was perfect right out of the door, none!

If you want to bash MS or Win8, that's your prerogative, but you shouldn't parrot bad information and misconceptions.

Install Win8.1 update 1 and then cite what you don't like. I think a lot of people will be surprised.

This really is my last post on the subject (I promise), there's no point in debating anyone that doesn't have first hand knowledge.

(unsubscribed)
"That's exactly what Win8.1 update 1 is!"

That is what the first release of Win8 should have been.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2014   #13
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

They need to work out what they doing.

Ferrari has a tiny fraction, of the "automobile market".They only operate in a small sector - deliberately. You could call it the "luxury sports car market."

If you add cars buses, trucks and bicycles to get the "personal transport market", you get an entirely different picture.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2014   #14
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there

Kodak was saying it was king of the photography market for years and saying how digital cameras would never be any good -- well we all know what happened to the likes of Kodak and Polaroid.

Ms is in a slightly different situation -- actually once the mobile phone market saturates Ms unlike Apple will STILL be supplying services and OS'es as well as having a decent set of mobile devices (surface pro 3) and the fledgling Windows phone market -- which will be good for the replacement phone stuff.

People are getting just a bit tired of Google and even AMAZON which is now supplying computer services for the CIA under US federal Govt contract --if that doesn't worry you as an amazon customer it really should.

Amazon's CIA Win Hurt More Than IBM's Pride - InformationWeek

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2014   #15
RBS7

windows 7 & 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RoasterMen View Post
Ughh. I won't bother playing games with touch screen, it's horrible.
You don't have to use the Modern GUI, the Desktop is almost exactly like Win7.

People who haven't used Win8 (more precisely 8.1 update 1) just don't know what they're talking about.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
W8 should have been dual gui's, at least being simple to switch between the two.
Desktops for business would proceed as usual, tablet users could get accustomed to the new Metro concept.
That's exactly what Win8.1 update 1 is!

MS didn't miss the boat (unless you accept what Boozad said - they were late to the game (as usual)).
Every release of Windows has growing pains. No release was perfect right out of the door, none!

If you want to bash MS or Win8, that's your prerogative, but you shouldn't parrot bad information and misconceptions.

Install Win8.1 update 1 and then cite what you don't like. I think a lot of people will be surprised.

This really is my last post on the subject (I promise), there's no point in debating anyone that doesn't have first hand knowledge.

(unsubscribed)
I agree that there are growing pains, unfortunately Windows 8.0, 8.1, 8.1 update 1 had birth defects and are afflicted for life. It has been several years now, and their usage numbers have declined.

Yes they are usable, but in my opinion, certainly not optimal. I have only 1 machine that runs properly with 8.1.1, I returned the others to version 8.0, to many problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2014   #16
Iforgot

Win7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
They need to work out what they doing.

Ferrari has a tiny fraction, of the "automobile market".They only operate in a small sector - deliberately. You could call it the "luxury sports car market."

If you add cars buses, trucks and bicycles to get the "personal transport market", you get an entirely different picture.
I would like to hear to bicycle that sounds like a Ferrari..

Or how about a bus goes and that sounds like a Ferrari...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2014   #17
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there.

Stats can mean anything you want them to mean.

Take a part of Wimbledon (London SW 19 - quite an expensive area) -- nr of people who buy at least two bottles of wine in their supermarket shop will probably be much higher than say in a relatively poor part of Manchester UK (Moss Side) where a lot of people also are Muslims and therefore don't drink.

Stats might say just looking at Wimbledon a large percentage buy wine and is an increasing percentage - whereas in Moss Side it's probably fairly negligible.

Using these stats to estimate % of UK population buying Wine in their supermarket shop will lead to totally different results.

If you include markets that Ms doesn't have a share in or is very small then of course you'll get these type of results.

I think anybody who posts ANYTHING about statistics should at least demonstrate they have passed a decent level in elementary mathematics or at the very least have some idea of what they are trying to measure.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2014   #18
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

It's me again. Layback Bear 3 brain cells tied behind my back.

I think most of us know Microsoft was a day late and a dollar short getting into the portable market in a meaningful way.
That was a management call.
I remember when IBM thought their would never be a PC market and Mr. Bill thought different. It happens.

Microsoft now has decided to get into the mobile market which I believe they should of been from the beginning.
It wasn't my call.

The part that I have a problem understanding is why does Microsoft think they have to abandon the stationary market. (PC's). I can't get my 3 brain cell wrapped around this idea. Their are large sums of money in both markets. Why not be in both markets in a big fashion. Microsoft has the money and technology to do both.

It reminds me of Windows Media Player.
Leaving it out of newer operating system just because many use 3rd party programs. DA, they use 3rd party programs because Microsoft hasn't updated the capability of WMP since Moses was wearing short pants.
Instead of fixing WMP they just through it away.
I would like to be able to go to a Microsoft site and be able to update WMP so I could use my two BluRay players with my store bought BluRay DVD's.

Instead of fixing things so Microsoft can be big in both portable and PC markets they seem to have decided to just through the PC market away in a somewhat slow fashion.
PC's will never go away if Microsoft has a corporate desire to keep PC's in their market plan.
The computing world is heading in a new direction like it always does. Who in the hell came up with the idea it could only go in one direction at a time. I think this thought pattern came from board rooms. It sure didn't come from consumers. Consumers want both; portable and PC's.

A perfect example is this forum and it's members.
John owns several Computer Help Forums and I would bet a dollar to a one legged tap dancer he also owns portable devices and know how to use both.
As a consumer we are allowed to buy into both markets and we do. I wonder how many members on this forum use both portable and PC's? One does not replace the other but instead (portable/PC) have the capability of working with each other as it should be.

Here is a example where two large companies want in both markets and are joining hands to do so.
http://www.zdnet.com/ibm-apple-forge...ad-7000031641/


My rant for the day.
Layback Bear
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2014   #19
eatup

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
It's me again. Layback Bear 3 brain cells tied behind my back.

I think most of us know Microsoft was a day late and a dollar short getting into the portable market in a meaningful way.
That was a management call.
I remember when IBM thought their would never be a PC market and Mr. Bill thought different. It happens.

Microsoft now has decided to get into the mobile market which I believe they should of been from the beginning.
It wasn't my call.

The part that I have a problem understanding is why does Microsoft think they have to abandon the stationary market. (PC's). I can't get my 3 brain cell wrapped around this idea. Their are large sums of money in both markets. Why not be in both markets in a big fashion. Microsoft has the money and technology to do both.

It reminds me of Windows Media Player.
Leaving it out of newer operating system just because many use 3rd party programs. DA, they use 3rd party programs because Microsoft hasn't updated the capability of WMP since Moses was wearing short pants.
Instead of fixing WMP they just through it away.
I would like to be able to go to a Microsoft site and be able to update WMP so I could use my two BluRay players with my store bought BluRay DVD's.

Instead of fixing things so Microsoft can be big in both portable and PC markets they seem to have decided to just through the PC market away in a somewhat slow fashion.
PC's will never go away if Microsoft has a corporate desire to keep PC's in their market plan.
The computing world is heading in a new direction like it always does. Who in the hell came up with the idea it could only go in one direction at a time. I think this thought pattern came from board rooms. It sure didn't come from consumers. Consumers want both; portable and PC's.

A perfect example is this forum and it's members.
John owns several Computer Help Forums and I would bet a dollar to a one legged tap dancer he also owns portable devices and know how to use both.
As a consumer we are allowed to buy into both markets and we do. I wonder how many members on this forum use both portable and PC's? One does not replace the other but instead (portable/PC) have the capability of working with each other as it should be.

Here is a example where two large companies want in both markets and are joining hands to do so.
IBM, Apple forge enterprise app pact: Watson, meet iPad | ZDNet


My rant for the day.
Layback Bear
I predict tablets (with docking stations) will replace PCs come Skylake CPUs. These little portable devices will be capable of decent gaming, CAD, 3D rendering to make Pixar movies, you name it. Microsoft sees this coming. If I was them, I'd do the same. Desktops/laptops will soon become extinct. Once again, you will have a small tablet with Skylake that can transform into a laptop or desktop if need be... Computers will just get smaller and smaller (the first computer was the size of a room). The size of the mini-tower desktops we have now will seem like dinosaurs to folks a few decades later!

Heck, I predict 50 years from now, tablets will die off too, to be replaced by computers the size of... You'll have a smart watch that can stream contents to a monitor. No need for clunky tablet-sized displays when the watch can also project a hologram with you interacting with the projected image via what we already currently have: 3D touch!

Include a blue tooth keyboard and you effectively have a desktop --- one that you can wear!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2014   #20
Alejandro85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

The whole affirmation is flawed, in fact. When they say going from 90 to 14 they're comparing apples to oranges. The 90% share of yesterday was only on PC market, and the 14% of today was including a broad range of different devices, so how can we even attempt to compare those?

If we restrict only to the PC market of today, MS says it's still around 90%, not much lower than in the past really, so what's the surprise?

BUT! If we take into account the full range of devices of 10/15 years ago, then they're definitely NOT at 90%. While tablets and phones didn't existed yet (or at least to the extent of today), the whole article misses an important market, servers. There, Windows always had a bad history, generally speaking, and Linux and other Unix variations where the undisputed leaders there, even in the past. No idea what percentage would then MS have really back then, but it's not 90% for sure, not even close.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft exec admits new reality: Market share no longer 90%, it's 14




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Ex-Microsoft Exec Attacks Ballmer, Gates
read more here : Ex-Microsoft Exec Attacks Ballmer, Gates / Infopackets.com
News
I think Apple might get a bigger market share
If their isn't enough using you product just go to a proven method. Hire a hooker. Hire a Hooker? There’s an app for that. | ZDNet Thanks for moving this to the proper place.
Chillout Room
Surface computing + augmented reality = Microsoft LightSpace
More - Surface computing + augmented reality = Microsoft LightSpace | ZDNet
News
IE Loses More Market Share
More...
News
Win 7 Market Share Twice That of OS X, 10 Times........
Source - Windows 7 Market Share Twice That of OS X, 10 Times That of Linux - Vista?s successor has passed the 10% usage share mark - Softpedia
News
Windows Gains Market Share, Mac Loses Market Share.....
Source - Windows Gains Market Share, Mac Loses Market Share, Coincidence? | Windows 7 News
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App