Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Something Odd going on at Linedrive Cloud Storage

24 Jul 2014   #11
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
When something has limits it should be in BOLD print up front.

Where is the E.U. on this matter. I know; it's not Microsoft so it must be okay to hide the restrictions.

I believe their must be some sort of restriction to hinder misuse. I don't have a problem with that but why hide the restrictions.
Their is a easy way to solve the problem.
1. No use of the word (unrestricted) when their is restrictions.
2. Listing of the restrictions in BOLD PRINT up front on the first page of any agreements.
3. A one time message to the misuser explaining the problem and agreement before shutting them out.

These things are not hard to do and doesn't cost a lot of money.

Problem solved.

Hi there

Agree totally -- put conditions in front of the user signing up for the service so they know what they are buying - and then I don't think anybody has a problem with that.

Whichever way you cut it if a service is advertised as UNLIMITED and then has restrictions then the contract is INVALID and invalid contracts in most jurisdictions cannot be enforced -- at the very least you should get a total refund since the service you were buying wasn't either what you signed up to or you were being sold a meaningless and unenforceable contract (in common Law).

Cheers
jimbo


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Jul 2014   #12
scr

1. Windows 7 Home Premium sp1 - 64bit 2. Windows 7 Pro sp1 - 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
When something has limits it should be in BOLD print up front.

Where is the E.U. on this matter. I know; it's not Microsoft so it must be okay to hide the restrictions.

I believe their must be some sort of restriction to hinder misuse. I don't have a problem with that but why hide the restrictions.
Their is a easy way to solve the problem.
1. No use of the word (unrestricted) when their is restrictions.
2. Listing of the restrictions in BOLD PRINT up front on the first page of any agreements.
3. A one time message to the misuser explaining the problem and agreement before shutting them out.

These things are not hard to do and doesn't cost a lot of money.

Problem solved.

Hi there

Agree totally -- put conditions in front of the user signing up for the service so they know what they are buying - and then I don't think anybody has a problem with that.

Whichever way you cut it if a service is advertised as UNLIMITED and then has restrictions then the contract is INVALID and invalid contracts in most jurisdictions cannot be enforced -- at the very least you should get a total refund since the service you were buying wasn't either what you signed up to or you were being sold a meaningless and unenforceable contract (in common Law).

Cheers
jimbo
The language of ambiguity = Contracts

The use of the word "Unlimited" will always be defined later in the contract. The use of "Unlimited data" will always be defined later in the contract. For example "You have Unlimited Access to the Internet and Unlimited Data." Which should be clear enough but at the end of the contract they always have the definitions. "We do not guarantee that you will have access to the Internet at all times" .. "For the purpose of this contract "Unlimited Data" shall mean no more then 300 mb of Data in a 24 hour period." .. "Data shall mean the total of incoming and out going traffic combined."

The last reference be it a definition or otherwise will take precedence over all definitions or references written before it in the contract. This is what they use to remove the ambiguity by declaring the purpose and clarification. Any time I read a contract that I am considering I always start at the end.

It may not even be in the contract but referred to in another document such as a TOS or Rules and Regulations which by reference becomes a fully enforceable part of the contract even if it's not attached to the contract. "All terms and conditions of the TOS/Rules and Regulations shall be enforceable and considered a part of this contract." If you don't ask for the TOS or rules and regulations it's not their problem.

I always looked at contracts as if I'm standing on a three legged chair with a rope around my neck and they have a running chain saw. I've walked away from a good number of three legged chairs.

Basically, and it's sad to say, if they are in business and offering me a contract I don't trust them or the contract, call it life lessons if you will.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2014   #13
HammerHead

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
Decisions......Decisions

I am totally against storing data on a device that someone else has control of. It is things like this that caused me to avoid the cloud.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jul 2014   #14
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I am totally against storing data on a device that someone else has control of. It is things like this that caused me to avoid the cloud.
agreed
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2014   #15
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

My head has been in a could for a long time and that is exactly why I don't want my Data in a cloud.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2014   #16
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

I only use cloud storage for non-personal files that I want to share anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #17
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there

Clouds and Birds bring anything to mind ==> Cloud Cuckoo Land for example.

@Computer0304 - Be aware if using servers to store Pirated / copyrighted data on them (movies from Torrents for example) then THE WHOLE SERVER can get shut down -- remember what happened to MEGAUPLOAD server not so long ago.

Even if YOU are entirely innocent the WHOLE server can be taken down, your entire data scanned and analyzed by Police, Interpol, CIA, MOSSAD or any other "security agency" on the planet (depending on where the server is physically located).

While Corporate cloud servers have some use I'd never rely on a PUBLIC Cloud server for anything that a) I didn't want to lose, and b) any PRIVATE data I didn't want other people trawling through at will if the server is seized.

@Scr - it would be interesting for someone to test in a proper Court of Law exactly how a CONTRACT is meant to be specified -- I'm sure if you have TWO conflicting positions - IS UNLIMITED or IS NOT UNLIMITED then this surely must rank as an invalid contract AND SHOULD NOT BE OFFERED in the form its presented in. (External factors such as Internet connections, speed, ISP bandwidth etc are not relevant here either).

Obviously the Server provider can't provide 100% access to the Internet -- however the service provides that WHEN CONNECTED you can have UNLIMITED DATA -- well either you can or you cannot. If you cannot then offering it is then a contradiction and will be deemed as invalid.

The Courts can't mess around with the English Language otherwise nobody would be able to Prosecute or Defend any action whatsoever. Limitations by your ISP provider are external to the service offered here. IMO this whole contract should be re-worded entirely and it would be great if someone could get their fee back because the contract was deemd invalid.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #18
Phill3990

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I only use Onedrive for university work to make it easier to access my work on multiple systems. That's as far as cloud goes for me, I keep all of my personal, sensitive and important documents or an external HD or USB stick. Today with all the ID theft and stealing/selling information I don't trust most websites with my information. Everyone wants information about us and generally they get it!

"Relying on the government to protect your privacy is like asking a peeping tom to install your window blinds."
John Perry Barlow

Phill3990
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #19
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

I already said Jimbo, I use it for things I want to share on game forums like maps so I don't care if it is scanned. It would be public anyway where anyone can get it if they find it. Nothing private or personal, things that I want to be known.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2014   #20
scr

1. Windows 7 Home Premium sp1 - 64bit 2. Windows 7 Pro sp1 - 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there

@Scr - it would be interesting for someone to test in a proper Court of Law exactly how a CONTRACT is meant to be specified -- I'm sure if you have TWO conflicting positions - IS UNLIMITED or IS NOT UNLIMITED then this surely must rank as an invalid contract AND SHOULD NOT BE OFFERED in the form its presented in. (External factors such as Internet connections, speed, ISP bandwidth etc are not relevant here either).

Obviously the Server provider can't provide 100% access to the Internet -- however the service provides that WHEN CONNECTED you can have UNLIMITED DATA -- well either you can or you cannot. If you cannot then offering it is then a contradiction and will be deemed as invalid.

The Courts can't mess around with the English Language otherwise nobody would be able to Prosecute or Defend any action whatsoever. Limitations by your ISP provider are external to the service offered here. IMO this whole contract should be re-worded entirely and it would be great if someone could get their fee back because the contract was deemd invalid.

Cheers
jimbo
Here's some interesting reading, well sort of, don't let your eyes glaze over. http://idiom.ucsd.edu/~schane/law/ambiguity.pdf
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Something Odd going on at Linedrive Cloud Storage




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
JustCloud Cloud Storage ?
Hello, Have been thinking about the cloud storage options, and have seen several recommendations for the JustCloud outfit. It "apparently" offers (totally) free, and unlimited storage. I read their site fairly thoroughly, but the limitations and gimmicks are pretty well hidden on it,...
General Discussion
Nas Cloud storage
WD My Cloud 1-Bay 2TB Personal Cloud Storage | Ebuyer.com Any thoughts on this Please,My son is thinking of getting one and he's interested in the pros and cons. Thanks.;)
Network & Sharing
Resync Cloud Storage After OS (Re-)Install
~20 GBs of files exist on my D: drive and are synced w/either Dropbox, Skydrive or Google Drive. I am replacing my C: drive and doing a fresh Win7 install (no, I can't restore a system image). I will eventually re-install the desktop apps for those three cloud services and point them to their...
Network & Sharing
Which External HD ? & On Cloud Storage (right word for ?)
Hi folks, Want to buy an external 1 TB HD, and of course looked thru Amazon. Quite disturbing reading all the reviews, as neither Seagate or Western Digital shine. Most of the reviews talk about their conking out in a few months, flimsy construction, no customer service, etc. Seagate...
Hardware & Devices
cloud storage @ www.box.com
I just got an upgrade from 5Gb to 50Gb of cloud storage - useful for sharing on team collaboration files, and wondered if any forum members has used / is using this service at box.com. Specifically I want to automate a backup, or the upload & download of changed files. There seems to be a...
Network & Sharing
Cloud Storage (SkyDrive)
Hi, I'm looking for a cloud storage to use with a group of people. It should provide >5GB storage, be usable on Windows and Linux and free. So I’m interested in SkyDrive, but stuck in some problems and questions:
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App