Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft reveals Windows 10, Well this is awkward!

01 Oct 2014   #91
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
did you double check your hash value after downloading? I did to make sure nothing was wrong with the file. You would be amazed how easy it is when a lot of people are downloading the same file for it to be corrupted.
No, I didn't check the hash value.
How can I check it for the file I downloaded ?

I downloaded English 32-bit (x86) from here and can see what the hash value should be.
Download Windows Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows
I like this for hash checking David,

HashCheck Shell Extension

Really handy, just adds a tab to the properties window.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Oct 2014   #92
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 
Just for kix n giggles...

...I tried to open 10's install.wim in WAIK's SIM under Win 7: No go...
Attachment 335363

Error log: Attachment 335364

I was able to mount the .WIM w/DISM but unable to get package info:

Quote:
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Error: 0xc0000135

An error occurred while attempting to start the servicing process for the image located at C:\test\offline.
For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2014   #93
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
I like this for hash checking David,

HashCheck Shell Extension

Really handy, just adds a tab to the properties window.
Nice find, adding this!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Oct 2014   #94
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Urthboundmisfit View Post
...I tried to open 10's install.wim in WAIK's SIM under Win 7: No go...
Attachment 335363

Error log: Attachment 335364

I was able to mount the .WIM w/DISM but unable to get package info:

Quote:
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Error: 0xc0000135

An error occurred while attempting to start the servicing process for the image located at C:\test\offline.
For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
I've played with Sysprep and WAIK all night (it's 7 AM here, whole night with WinTen). I noticed the same but found a surprisingly easy workaround: All answer files I have created on Windows 8.1 and WAIK / SIM using Windows 8.1 install.wim work as such for Windows 10, just replace the Windows version and edition manually in wim:path#version_edition and you are ready to go.

For example instead of...
Code:
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:X:/sources/install.wim#Windows 8.1 PRO" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
... use
Code:
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:X:/sources/install.wim#Windows TECHNICALPREVIEW" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
I've already relocated the main profile folder to E: on all three systems I have installed Win10 tonight with this answer file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<FolderLocations>
<ProfilesDirectory>E:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
</FolderLocations>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:X:/sources/install.wim#Windows TECHNICALPREVIEW" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>
Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2014   #95
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
did you double check your hash value after downloading? I did to make sure nothing was wrong with the file. You would be amazed how easy it is when a lot of people are downloading the same file for it to be corrupted.
No, I didn't check the hash value.
How can I check it for the file I downloaded ?

I downloaded English 32-bit (x86) from here and can see what the hash value should be.
Download Windows Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows
bingo. Always do this when downloading iso. Microsoft listed the hash right next to the iso.

Use a tool like this free tool here:

MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility | Raymond's WordPress

standalone, does not install anything, portable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2014   #96
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Good stuff! I'm about to give it a go, thanks Kari!

FWIW, for an angry old man you're not half bad!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2014   #97
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

I used the tool Derek linked in Post #91
and the SHA-1 values match, assuming upper/lower case doesn't matter.

I checked VMware and it shows no updates available...
I'm really not concerned with fixing this now, it's just something I noticed and asked about...
Right now I can't do a bare metal install to compare it with

Microsoft reveals Windows 10, Well this is awkward!-w10sp01.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2014   #98
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Urthboundmisfit View Post
Good stuff! I'm about to give it a go, thanks Kari!
You are welcome .

I like my complete Users folder on another drive than C:. Doing this once takes care of all future user accounts, creating the profiles automatically in my case on E:, saving absolutely everything there including Temp, AppData and so on.
Microsoft reveals Windows 10, Well this is awkward!-2014-10-02_07h38_07.png
Keeps C: small and tidy, makes system images smaller and faster to create and restore!

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2014   #99
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Urthboundmisfit View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
I like this for hash checking David,

HashCheck Shell Extension

Really handy, just adds a tab to the properties window.
Nice find, adding this!
Yeah, I like it.


Attached Images
Microsoft reveals Windows 10, Well this is awkward!-hash.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2014   #100
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
I don't have permission kari, even though I am vip
Finally:

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft reveals Windows 10, Well this is awkward!




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Chinese gov’t reveals Microsoft’s secret list of Android-killer patent
Source A Guy
News
Leaked Presentation Reveals Microsoft's Plans For Windows 8
A leaked Microsoft presentation for hardware makers on Windows 8 reveals some insight into how the company is thinking about its next operating system upgrade. The leak comes from the Microsoft Journal, an enthusiast blog written by Francisco Martín García, who lists himself as a Microsoft...
News
Windows 7 awkward feel, missing WinXP, need advice
Hi, This is my first post on this forum and I really need your help. I needed a x64 OS, and up to date multi-processor/hardware optimizations and Win7 seemed to be the only viable choice, since WinXP x64 died long time ago. So, I've installed the x64 Professional version. The problem...
General Discussion
Microsoft Reveals Office Winter Games Contest
More at: Microsoft Reveals Office Winter Games Contest: Two bloggers will win a trip to cover the Vancouver Games using Microsoft Office 2010.
News
Microsoft reveals native Win 7 video transcoding
more..
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App