Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: December 9th 2014 Windows Updates

10 Dec 2014   #11
jamis

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
 
 

Installed all of them last night with no issues. Was afraid they would start the automatic changing of some of the internet options again like the last Patch Tuesday updated did, but haven't seen that yet.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Dec 2014   #12
malvoglio

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Is there a rule of thumb for how long to wait before accepting the Windows Updates? I believe that Microsoft sometimes reissues a faulty patch two weeks after it first came out, so would two weeks be a reasonable time to wait?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2014   #13
ThisIsMadness91

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (Service Pack 1)
 
 

I installed the updates this morning before going out, and ran into a couple of problems when I got back. The magnifier tool wouldn't work and I was being asked for permission to do things I didn't need to before (using System Restore, viewing processes for all users, etc.). I went to uninstall the updates but wasn't sure which Office updates, if any, needed uninstalling and used System Restore instead. I installed the Office updates and malicious software removal tool again, and everything seems to be working as before. I'm going to wait a bit before trying to install the other updates again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Dec 2014   #14
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Here's my experience,

I started with a Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer 10 (3003057) then when I went back to Windows Updates (WU) I had another Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer 10 (3008923) This obviously has to do with:

In WU history it shows as Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer 10, but in WU Installed updates it shows as just a Security Update for Microsoft Windows......
December 9th 2014 Windows Updates-wuarr.jpg

Yea, yea, I'll be doin' em both, then the rest.


Quote:
Is there a rule of thumb for how long to wait before accepting the Windows Updates? I believe that Microsoft sometimes reissues a faulty patch two weeks after it first came out, so would two weeks be a reasonable time to wait?
That's a little bit long, usually after a day or so you can find problems cropping up, Lady Fitzgerald usually waits until Saturday. You have to look around here or on other sites. Do a search for Patch Tuesday and the appropriate date i.e. patch tuesday dec. 2014


My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2014   #15
pbcopter

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThisIsMadness91 View Post
I installed the updates this morning before going out, and ran into a couple of problems when I got back. The magnifier tool wouldn't work and I was being asked for permission to do things I didn't need to before (using System Restore, viewing processes for all users, etc.). I went to uninstall the updates but wasn't sure which Office updates, if any, needed uninstalling and used System Restore instead. I installed the Office updates and malicious software removal tool again, and everything seems to be working as before. I'm going to wait a bit before trying to install the other updates again.
This is caused by update KB3004394. Uninstall it and your system will go back to normal.

Microsoft has pulled this update from Windows update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2014   #16
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 
Off-Topic...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
That's a keeper.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2014   #17
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by malvoglio View Post
Is there a rule of thumb for how long to wait before accepting the Windows Updates? I believe that Microsoft sometimes reissues a faulty patch two weeks after it first came out, so would two weeks be a reasonable time to wait?
I normally wait until the Saturday morning after Patch Tuesday to download and install updates (I have Updates set to notify me when there are updates but to let me decide when to download and install them). By then, if there are any problems being reported, they will be posted on forums like this one and, usually, M$ will have pulled the offender.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2014   #18
ThisIsMadness91

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (Service Pack 1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pbcopter View Post
This is caused by update KB3004394. Uninstall it and your system will go back to normal.

Microsoft has pulled this update from Windows update.
Thanks. I saw another thread confirming that was the update responsible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2014   #19
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

yep; here we go again is right. I just installed the latest batch of updates as well; but i have not rebooted yet to finish the install. Im waiting for a bit to do that as im sorta in the middle of something right now. But it will happen later and then i will find out whether there are any issues for me or not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2014   #20
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by malvoglio View Post
Is there a rule of thumb for how long to wait before accepting the Windows Updates? I believe that Microsoft sometimes reissues a faulty patch two weeks after it first came out, so would two weeks be a reasonable time to wait?
I normally wait until the Saturday morning after Patch Tuesday to download and install updates (I have Updates set to notify me when there are updates but to let me decide when to download and install them). By then, if there are any problems being reported, they will be posted on forums like this one and, usually, M$ will have pulled the offender.
This is definitely a good way to do things i think Lady. I think you have the right idea here. I may have to start doing something like that myself. Right now i just have it set to notify me; but not download anything until i tell it to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 December 9th 2014 Windows Updates




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 64 bit update error 80070002 December 2014
Hi I've got a problem with windows update not working.I've included the cbs log after running sfc /scannow in administrator command.I've also included the screenshot of the Windows error.Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.BigD
Windows Updates & Activation
Advance Windows Update Notification for December 9th 2014
Source...
News
Windows update error 8007371C 80242414 Multiple Updates Sept 2014
Hi, I have multiple critical updates failing: KB2972211 KB2977629 KB2937610 KB2918614 KB2976897 KB2976627
Windows Updates & Activation
August 12th 2014 Security Updates for Windows
Source: August 2014 Security Updates - MSRC - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
News
December W7 Updates cause PC to not restart
In December I did std updates as received but then window does not start. It just stays forever at the W7 welcome splash. I have read about this problem on here before but it was a long time back and this is new. I know it is because of the updates - Sys restore only...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App