Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days

12 May 2015   #11
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

I went away for 2 weeks. Came back, fired up PC with Samsung EVO SSD and nothing missing.

I don't own any Enterprise drives, but it just sounds like another exaggerated article from ZDNet.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 May 2015   #12
4wd

W7, W8.1
 
 

Doesn't look like ZDnet made anything up, IMO they are just providing information, ref. the link to the korelogic article.

Quote:
The Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC) defines standards for the microelectronics industry, including standards for SSDs \\ For client application SSDs, the powered-off retention period standard is one year while enterprise application SSDs have a powered-off retention period of three months.
I do not expect my ssd's content to evaporise overnight, but seems the old HD concept has a very bright future as highcapacity \ longterm \ lowprice storage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2015   #13
GokAy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Hey all, hopefully my 850 pro wont lose data as well.

Though, is it considered enterprise or consumer grade SSD? Anyone know?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 May 2015   #14
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

In the early days of SSDs there was a lot of concern about the longevity of the drives. People were talking about them only lasting a relatively short time before failing. There was lots of chatter about how to limit writes to extend life.

Now that SSDs have a track record it has become evident that those early predictions of failure were somewhat overrated. SSDs last at least as long as spinning disks in most cases. Many people no longer bother with minimal write strategies.

That is the grain of salt to be taken when reading any technical articles like this.
Do SSDs fail - yep.
Do HDDs fail - yep.
Do we run down the street screaming like our hair is on fire? ---- user's choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2015   #15
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
In the early days of SSDs there was a lot of concern about the longevity of the drives. People were talking about them only lasting a relatively short time before failing. There was lots of chatter about how to limit writes to extend life.

Now that SSDs have a track record it has become evident that those early predictions of failure were somewhat overrated. SSDs last at least as long as spinning disks in most cases. Many people no longer bother with minimal write strategies.

That is the grain of salt to be taken when reading any technical articles like this.
Do SSDs fail - yep.
Do HDDs fail - yep.
Do we run down the street screaming like our hair is on fire? ---- user's choice.
Exactly! With any storage media comes risk of data loss. These articles aren't telling us anything we don't already know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2015   #16
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GokAy View Post
Hey all, hopefully my 850 pro wont lose data as well.

Though, is it considered enterprise or consumer grade SSD? Anyone know?
The EVO and PRO SSDs are both consumer. They're certainly not aimed at the Enterprise market.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2015   #17
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

This is not at all my experience since 2008. Each of my 10 SSDs have an unused time of 6 month each year when I am on the other side of the Atlantic and I never lost a bit. Several of those SSDs are external disks and contain 'data' if you want so (VMware Player folders and backup data). A couple of my older Gen1 external SSDs get used so infrequently that I have to go on a search hunt each time I want to use them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2015   #18
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
This is not at all my experience since 2008. Each of my 10 SSDs have an unused time of 6 month each year when I am on the other side of the Atlantic and I never lost a bit. Several of those SSDs are external disks and contain 'data' if you want so (VMware Player folders and backup data). A couple of my older Gen1 external SSDs get used so infrequently that I have to go on a search hunt each time I want to use them.
I wish I had that problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2015   #19
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Debunked: Your SSD won't lose data if left unplugged after all

Quote:
If you’re in a panic because the Internet told you that your shiny new SSD may lose data in “just a few days” when stored in a hot room, take a chill pill—it’s apparently all a huge misunderstanding, according to the man who wrote the original presentation all the fear is based on.

In a conversation with Kent Smith of Seagate and Alvin Cox, the Seagate engineer who wrote the presentation that set the Internet abuzz, PCWorld was told we’re all just reading it wrong.

“People have misunderstood the data that they’re looking at,” Smith said.
Source

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2015   #20
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

From my post #4

Quote:
I do not believe that a 9F degree change will have that much effect on a ssd unless you are some one selling hard drives.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Mac, PC solid state drives aren’t compatible
Read more at: Mac, PC solid state drives aren’t compatible | ZDNet
News
Defragging Solid State Drives?
This isn't recommended, I know. But would it serve any purpose at all? As far as I understand the matter, aside from the wear and tear issue, whether an SDD is 0% fragmented or 100% fragmented makes no difference to the performance, due to the way the information is read from the disc. Is that so?...
Hardware & Devices
Solid State Drives
Okay, I'm just wondering, I've heard it mentioned quite a bit and I knwo and understand most things about PC's but this I've never really looked into so I'm going to now... What is a SSD?, What are the pros and cons to using it?, How do you use it?, Is it reccomended?, what performance...
Hardware & Devices
Solid state drives
hi all:D i am thinking of using a solid state drive for the operating system and would be grateful for any advice can i keep the drive i have now with win 7 home premium, and install another windows 7 (like ultimate): on the solid state drive??
Hardware & Devices
Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives
More...
News
Solid state drives. Worth it?
I'm thinking of using a ssd for my windows 7 build early next year. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on them. Ocz do some good value drives but I've heard their write speeds are painfully slow
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App