Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: May 12th 2015 Windows Updates Security Bulletin Details

15 May 2015   #41
GokAy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
KB3035583 just came through this morning. It looks like a correction release for some of the GWx group issued earlier. It's listed as "Important".

The Get Windows 10 (GWx) group was the one that was filling my Event Log with errors so I uninstalled it. This one is going to the Hide box too.
I installed KB3035583 on 8th of April (I installed OS that day so perhaps even an older one).

Regarding my earlier post, I don't get a nag screen for W10 TP or any rogue programs running (at least to my knowledge) when KB2990214 is hidden, the rest are installed.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 May 2015   #42
jamis

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
 
 

I received KB303558 this morning. It was marked Important, but I have hidden it until I see more about it.

Edit: That was KB3035583 (my mistake). I was marked Important, but now that it has been hidden it is showing as Recommended.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #43
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamis View Post
I received KB303558 this morning. It was marked Important, but I have hidden it until I see more about it.
Kb303558, That's for Windows XP Professional...:

-Article ID: 303558 - Last Review: January 11, 2015 - Revision: 1.2
"Play All" Option Does Not Play Song File That Is Nested Deep Within the My Music Folder.
APPLIES TO
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/kb/303558/en-us

Must be KB3035583 "Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1"
You can hide it if you don't plan to upgrade your OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 May 2015   #44
carwiz

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GokAy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
KB3035583 just came through this morning. It looks like a correction release for some of the GWx group issued earlier. It's listed as "Important".

The Get Windows 10 (GWx) group was the one that was filling my Event Log with errors so I uninstalled it. This one is going to the Hide box too.
I installed KB3035583 on 8th of April (I installed OS that day so perhaps even an older one).

Regarding my earlier post, I don't get a nag screen for W10 TP or any rogue programs running (at least to my knowledge) when KB2990214 is hidden, the rest are installed.
You probably won't get any nag screens until W10-RTM is released. It's still in testing now.

Also, check your Event Log > Application and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > GWX-Ins > Operational. That log folder went away when I deleted the updates back in March. Until then, I was getting errors so something was running. You better look harder.

Reference this post: Update enables additional capabilities for Windows - Broken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #45
GokAy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
Also, check your Event Log > Application and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > GWX-Ins > Operational. That log folder went away when I deleted the updates back in March. Until then, I was getting errors so something was running. You better look harder.
Hey, thanks for that info. Definitely it is running, there used to be lots of errors, now there are like 1 error (file not found) per PC start. I guess I will try to uninstall these updates as well (not sure if I will be successful as I did clean up windows updates files sometime ago).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #46
jamis

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamis View Post
I received KB303558 this morning. It was marked Important, but I have hidden it until I see more about it.
Kb303558, That's for Windows XP Professional...:

-Article ID: 303558 - Last Review: January 11, 2015 - Revision: 1.2
"Play All" Option Does Not Play Song File That Is Nested Deep Within the My Music Folder.
APPLIES TO
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/kb/303558/en-us

Must be KB3035583 "Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1"
You can hide it if you don't plan to upgrade your OS.
Yes, of course. Thanks. I don't know where I got the other number from. I had XPPro before W7, but I still mucked up. And I'm not planning on upgrading beyond W7 for a long time, so hiding it and the other upgrade updates is the plan for now.

Edit: Now I see what I did originally. I left the last digit (3) off of the update ID.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #47
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

The KB3022345 issue may be a regional thing and is definitely tagged as important for me.
Gems of wisdom from MS
May 12th 2015 Windows Updates Security Bulletin Details-capture.jpg
Note the last sentence.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #48
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

Well, I guess some updates show as optional or recommended depending on the settings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #49
carwiz

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Important updates offer significant benefits, such as improved security, privacy, and reliability. They should be installed as they become available, and can be installed automatically with Windows Update.
Recommended updates address non-critical problems or help enhance your computing experience. While these updates do not address fundamental issues with your computer or Windows software, they can offer meaningful improvements. These can be installed automatically.
Optional updates can include updates, drivers, or new software from Microsoft to enhance your computing experience. You can only install these manually.

Optional or Recommended (Critical) Updates
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #50
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Here is how it is presented. Important on the left means Important to me.
May 12th 2015 Windows Updates Security Bulletin Details-capture.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 May 12th 2015 Windows Updates Security Bulletin Details




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for May 12 2015
Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for May 12 2015 Note: There may be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep refreshing Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletin(s). Note: www.microsoft.com/technet/security and www.microsoft.com/security are...
Windows Updates & Activation
April 14th 2015 Windows Updates Details
Source: April 2015 Updates - Microsoft Security Response Center - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
News
August 12th 2014 Security Updates for Windows
Source: August 2014 Security Updates - MSRC - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
News
Advance Notification for August 12th 2014 Security Bulletin Release
Source: Advance Notification Service for the August 2014 Security Bulletin Release - MSRC - Site Home - TechNet Blogs Source: Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification See also: Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for August 2014
News
Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notice March 12th 2013
Source: Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for March 2013
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App