Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10

02 Jun 2015   #41
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yep I'm more interested in the after 1 year release
System builders/ oem copy of 10 terms.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Jun 2015   #42
Joan Archer

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/Windows 10 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Just as an update to one of my posts earlier about Retail licences.

According to this post: Windows 7 retail license upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft Community if you're upgrading from a Retail 7 or 8 licence then the free upgrade will also be a retail (upgrade) licence and will be transferable.
That's really good news for anyone who owns retail versions and I'll definitely be upgrading (eventually) if that's the case.
Thanks for that link, I know my 8.1 is OEM because it came with my Asus but my Windows 7 desktop is Retail as I got that when 7 first came out and clean installed it onto a machine that came with Vista.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2015   #43
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joan Archer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Just as an update to one of my posts earlier about Retail licences.

According to this post: Windows 7 retail license upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft Community if you're upgrading from a Retail 7 or 8 licence then the free upgrade will also be a retail (upgrade) licence and will be transferable.
That's really good news for anyone who owns retail versions and I'll definitely be upgrading (eventually) if that's the case.
Thanks for that link, I know my 8.1 is OEM because it came with my Asus but my Windows 7 desktop is Retail as I got that when 7 first came out and clean installed it onto a machine that came with Vista.
Same here Joan, my system came with Vista Ultimate but I replaced it with a retail version of 7 Pro. I actually bought 3 copies when Microsoft did their cheap pre-order offer on the home and pro versions. 2 were home versions which I installed on family members systems and one was my own Pro licence.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jun 2015   #44
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Upgrades have never been a reliable way to go to another version of windows I learned that coming from Vista,
You have to jump through hoops and use Brink's .bat file to activate it in at least 7 and 8 = thanks for that though Shawn
But a system builders is less hoop jumping even though esd to iso options are there it's still another hoop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2015   #45
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Upgrades have never been a reliable way to go to another version of windows I learned that coming from Vista,
You have to jump through hoops and use Brink's .bat file to activate it in at least 7 and 8 = thanks for that though Shawn
But a system builders is less hoop jumping even though esd to iso options are there it's still another hoop.
True, I've always clean installed when changing OS. Because I don't plan to install for a while, I'm hoping by the time I do the ISO's will be readily available to do a clean install. Not sure how the product key is going to be delivered yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2015   #46
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

I wouldn't give up a retail key personally
Hell I'm not willing to give up a oem/ system builders key of 7
Last I checked legally dual booting requires a full version of all involved versions of windows not clones that one was upgraded to a newer version.

Free is not as lovely to me as keeping what I have and possibly adding 10 to the usage if it serves a purpose other than just being free or new

As far as I've seen all 10 does is open a new can of worms called adds delivered to your start menu search and all apps you use so as far as I'm concerned it's a deal breaker.
Unless they can be removed completely in an easy way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2015   #47
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
I wouldn't give up a retail key personally
Hell I'm not willing to give up a oem/ system builders key of 7
Last I checked legally dual booting requires a full version of all involved versions of windows not clones that one was upgraded to a newer version.

Free is not as lovely to me as keeping what I have and possibly adding 10 to the usage if it serves a purpose other than just being free or new

As far as I've seen all 10 does is open a new can of worms called adds delivered to your start menu search and all apps you use so as far as I'm concerned it's a deal breaker.
Unless they can be removed completely in an easy way.
I don't mind giving up the retail key if it's transferable. And pretty sure I'd still be able to go back to Windows 7 (I think), if I didn't like it. Unless the old key is completely made void by taking the upgrade.

I'm going to be checking out a lot of reviews, videos on the final product, and waiting before I do. And I haven't got any of the W10 updates installed on my 7 machine so I won't be nagged or rushed into taking the update.

Seems like a lot of people are just going "It's free, and free is always good, so I'll take it!".

Big mistake to rush in!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2015   #48
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yep the only people in a hury to push win-10 is M$
They are a bit bias to be believed and a lot of people are using tweaks/ workarounds to say if you don't like this or that do this instead of the default way which is not how I test a build or os,

If the default is not as you like and easy to find changes then what really is the point
I'm not going to rely on third parties to shape 10 to my liking or change a lot of how I do things.

7 is perfect out of the box.
My only grip is what M$ updates are attempting to do to 7 in the past 4-5 months.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2015   #49
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Yep the only people in a hury to push win-10 is M$
They are a bit bias to be believed and a lot of people are using tweaks/ workarounds to say if you don't like this or that do this instead of the default way which is not how I test a build or os,

If the default is not as you like and easy to find changes then what really is the point
I'm not going to rely on third parties to shape 10 to my liking or change a lot of how I do things.

7 is perfect out of the box.
My only grip is what M$ updates are attempting to do to 7 in the past 4-5 months.
7 definitely isn't an easy OS to let go of. I had problems with XP when first released, problems with Vista when first released. Granted, these things got sorted out with updates and service packs. But with 7 it just worked for me straight away. Even before SP1 I never really had any real issues that couldn't be fixed easily.

Yeah I always had my updates set to "Check for updates but let me choose" and used to wait a few days, in case of any reported issues, before installing them. But I have to admit, I just used to install all the updates except some optional ones (silverlight, etc).

But lately, I've been checking all the updates on the MS site and googling them to see what they're all about and skipping some updates. It's a shame that we have to do that now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2015   #50
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Mostly this is about eating as many prior versions of windows activation keys as possible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dos paths and unix paths conversion
I guess this may be a tiny bit off the subject here, but I am attempting this in windows 7. I have a program file manager tool called 'Directory Opus' that is capable of calling windows external programs and passing them the current directory the file manager is sitting on. So far so good. ...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Upgrade Paths - FAQ
There are still doubts about what the possible and legal upgrade paths are for Windows 7. Below I tried to compile some information in a way which I hope will be helpful. Thanks to my friend Kari for his valuable contribution Any other additions or comments are much welcome ...
Installation & Setup
In-place upgrade with retail / OEM / OSB / SB versions?
Hello Is the in-place upgrade to Windows 7 possible with a) retail versions b) OEM / OSB / SB version? Or do I have to buy this special "upgrade version"? I only get contradictorily information (very frustrating!) and need advice from your side.
Installation & Setup
Any Upgrade versions out there yet
Hi all I'm itching to see if an "Upgrade" version of W7 requires an Activated version of a previous OS before it will install or will it carry on even if the previous OS hasn't been activated. The only OS'es I can get from Technet are the Full versions. Anybody got an "Upgrade" version or...
Installation & Setup
Microsoft Documents "Windows 7 Upgrade Paths"
More...
News
Win7 Upgrade paths
From this download link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E170EBA1-5BAB-401F-BBF5-00F0EE7FE0FB&displaylang=en Unsupported Upgrade Scenarios Upgrades to Windows 7 from the following operating systems are not supported: Windows 95, Windows...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App