Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD Prices In A Free Fall

21 Jun 2015   #1
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 
SSD Prices In A Free Fall

Quote:
Hard-disk drive vendors point to the higher price of solid-state drives as a reason to keep on buying hard drives, but as Bob Dylan sang, "The Times They Are a -Changin'." The advent of 3D NAND has become a game-changer for the storage industry by increasing SSD capacity and dropping SSD prices.

By packing 32 or 64 times the capacity per die, 3D NAND will allow SSDs to increase capacity well beyond hard drive sizes. SanDisk, for example, plans 8 TB drives this year, and 16 TB drives in 2016. At the same time, vendors across the flash industry are able to back off two process node levels and obtain excellent die yields.
Source

A Guy


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jun 2015   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Yeah, earlier today I saw someone mention a 500 GB SSD for $160 on a sale of some type. First price I've seen where the capacity in GB was more than the triple the dollar price. I might become interested if 1 TB SSDs get down to $160. Otherwise, no.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2015   #3
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

But the reliability of SSDs has been questioned.
When SSDs are not that solid
Around 120GB SSD seems a good size for me (installed programs, some data and efficient imaging). Maybe I'll consider them disposable items provided I have recent system images and the price drops even further.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jun 2015   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
But the reliability of SSDs has been questioned.
When SSDs are not that solid
Around 120GB SSD seems a good size for me (installed programs, some data and efficient imaging). Maybe I'll consider them disposable items provided I have recent system images and the price drops even further.
Yep; the term "commoditization" comes to mind. Seems to me the same thing has happened to USB thumb drives---a race to the bottom driven by price competition. And probably spinning drives for that matter.

But it does grate on me to pay $70 plus for disposable items.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2015   #5
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

I haven't seen any indication that it is happening here in Australia.

I'm still waiting for the 50% price drop that was trumpeted a few months ago.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2015   #6
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I don't understand why people are so concerned about SSDs. My Samsung 840 Pro has been running pretty much 24/7 for about 2 1/2 years without any problems. SSDLife projects its life to be another 11 years (granted, it's no guarantee but it does indicate how good it is). I also have two Samsung 840 EVOs in my note books and they are doing just fine (granted, they do get light usage).

I've said this before and I will say it again; all drives, be they HDD, SSD, flash, whatever, will eventually fail. The only way to ensure the safety of your data is to have a good backup scheme in place. The recent report of the Samsung 850 PROs having issues with data loss were from a commercial server using them in a situation they were not designed for. Windows systems were not affected. The recent brouhaha over SSDs losing data while setting on a shelf turned out to have been exaggerated.

Consumer reviews of SSDs have been just as good, often better, as those for HDDs. Eschewing SSDs because of some questionable reports of problems with them is like not buying a car for a commuter or a grocery getter because of reports some of them had their engines fail after they had been used for drag racing or were used for pulling oversized trailers.

I'm usually slow to adopt new technology, especially if it isn't cost effective for me or the present technology is meeting my needs. Still, I will not hesitate to use SSDs in my machines. They have been well worth the money for me (and the prices have been plummeting lately). I'm looking forward to when it will be cost effective for me to nothing but SSDs, including for mass storage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2015   #7
strollin

W10 Pro desktop, W10 laptop, W10 laptop, W10 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
 
 

I personally have not had an ssd fail in the 5+ years that I have been using them (currently have 10 or so in use) and welcome the price free fall. I'd love to see the day where ssds become completely mainstream and totally supplant the hdd. That's not good for hdd manufacturers but it's good for consumers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2015   #8
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Hmm, looks like I have to peruse the online discount stores daily looking for these imminent drops. I have noticed a bit of change in SSD size per buck, but not much in USB 3.0 sticks. They still seem to be trying to unload USB 2.0 and really slow USB 3.0 sticks on the unsuspecting customer. I have to hit Winkey Plus to keep checking the fine print in the item descriptions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2015   #9
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Hmm, looks like I have to peruse the online discount stores daily looking for these imminent drops. I have noticed a bit of change in SSD size per buck, but not much in USB 3.0 sticks. They still seem to be trying to unload USB 2.0 and really slow USB 3.0 sticks on the unsuspecting customer. I have to hit Winkey Plus to keep checking the fine print in the item descriptions.
I have noticed that USB 3 sticks aren't really getting much cheaper.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2015   #10
Stephanie

Win 7 Pro x64, Win 10 Pro x64, Linux Light x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I don't understand why people are so concerned about SSDs. My Samsung 840 Pro has been running pretty much 24/7 for about 2 1/2 years without any problems. SSDLife projects its life to be another 11 years (granted, it's no guarantee but it does indicate how good it is). I also have two Samsung 840 EVOs in my note books and they are doing just fine (granted, they do get light usage).

I've said this before and I will say it again; all drives, be they HDD, SSD, flash, whatever, will eventually fail. The only way to ensure the safety of your data is to have a good backup scheme in place. The recent report of the Samsung 850 PROs having issues with data loss were from a commercial server using them in a situation they were not designed for. Windows systems were not affected. The recent brouhaha over SSDs losing data while setting on a shelf turned out to have been exaggerated.

Consumer reviews of SSDs have been just as good, often better, as those for HDDs. Eschewing SSDs because of some questionable reports of problems with them is like not buying a car for a commuter or a grocery getter because of reports some of them had their engines fail after they had been used for drag racing or were used for pulling oversized trailers.

I'm usually slow to adopt new technology, especially if it isn't cost effective for me or the present technology is meeting my needs. Still, I will not hesitate to use SSDs in my machines. They have been well worth the money for me (and the prices have been plummeting lately). I'm looking forward to when it will be cost effective for me to nothing but SSDs, including for mass storage.
Very true and sensible
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD Prices In A Free Fall




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Huge Jump In W8.1 Market Share, XP in Free Fall
There was a huge surge in W8.1's market share last month (~4.3%). It looks like MS has managed to outlast the XP holdouts. NetMarketShare Market share for mobile, browsers, operating systems and search engines | NetMarketShare
News
When will prices for HD go down?
Hello all, Any thoughts when will the prices for hard disks will be slashed back to their original? This hardware is essential and looking at the size of S/W and games now a days, it is required to have good amount of space on the PC. I heard somewhere that they will go down in the beginning...
Hardware & Devices
Is this a sign that HDD prices are about to fall?
I've noticed on Newegg that they've increased the limits on the amount of drives that you can buy. I've seen 3, 5, 10, 20 and 100 drive limits, today. Even the 20 packs are back. If they have so many drives in stock, then why are prices still so high? Price gouging, perhaps? Something...
Hardware & Devices
NAND Prices to Fall Late in 2010 Paving Way for Cheaper SSDs
Source...
News
Do you think the prices will go down?
Do you think the prices of Windows 7 will go down, because here in Portugal costs 135€ for upgrade version?
General Discussion
Are you going to buy Win7 at these Prices
I was hoping that Microsoft would have reasonable prices on Windows 7. These Prices to me are most unreasonable. Pricing Windows 7 Starter $199,95 Windows 7 Home Premium $259,95 Windows 7 Professional $299,95 Windows 7 Ultimate $319,95 Windows 7 Enterprise Unknown Source:win7.in
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App