Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 10 Free Upgrade Available in 190 Countries Today

31 Jul 2015   #31
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

My Technical Preview build number is off the screen so it`s now the RTM version, went off without a hitch


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
31 Jul 2015   #32
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Here's an article that you might like NoN; It's by Tracey Capen from Windows Secrets: Updating to Win10: Definitely a mixed experience
Pretty sad story for this new OS...

I know now its possible to upgrade fine under certain conditions due to hardware set up & Bios. It is just a shame that it had been through away RTM on the market and no valid graphics drivers on MS Server. I ended up with a the generic VGA driver!

Oh well, still a year to go.

PS: At least restore to previous version worked like a champ!! It had left my Windows 7 untouched!
Here, the "Rollback" from the Recovery Console in Windows 10 had worked well, BUT....it had messed up a bit the Task Scheduler by deleting plenty of tasks also the ones for Media Center and Office, One drive.

One can repair the Task scheduler or reinstall their Softwares (Oops....Apps!) to restore the entries.

This leads me to wondering if the Task Scheduler entries in Windows 10 will be still that valid?!? Seems manies of those Softwares will have to be reinstalled if one want to keep the upgrade on their machine for a while, before to do a clean install if the New OS please enough.

Meanwhile as i'm testing this, i got the "Get Windows 10" icon that had appeared in my taskbar half a day after i decided to install those horrible Kb articles.

I'm so curious!!! Hope i'll not byte my fingers afterward...see how much hours i spent on Black Screen!

Says my PC is ready and I reserved my Windows 10 copy with Microsoft through that "Get Windows 10"...just to be sure it can be activated on a legit machine and seems it had started to download the file in ~BT folder.

EDIT: I still do not know why i got stuck on Black Screen upon reboot after the upgrade that went fine and i just saw in C:\ today, that during the process it had downloaded the AMD Drivers from WU: "WU-CCC2"...it was a generic VGA driver loaded in Windows 10.


Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 Free Upgrade Available in 190 Countries Today-capture2.png   Windows 10 Free Upgrade Available in 190 Countries Today-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2015   #33
dustymars

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dustymars View Post
Well, I guess the tiny font in the e-mail to reserve Win-10 for me lead me a stray. So, after installing the "free" Win-10 it would not activate, even after typing in the old Key. Maybe someday font will know who us old folks can't see so great
Well, at least my Dell 1545 will install Win 10, but since I messed up and installed In-7 32-bit I'll have to be happy with Win-10 32-bit. I attemped to install 64-but but my laptop DVD player will not boot the PC and I can't seem to get from boot to Setup (F2) I'll just take 32-bit and lump it. Problem with a laptop is it only get turned on every few weeks to do updates and turned off. Then my eMachine is 5 eyars old -- never ends with the BS and MS. Guess Bill needs the money. Fhim.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Jul 2015   #34
FerchogtX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

I wonder if there are real practical differences between the Pro and Home versions, right now they look pretty similar... Good looking anyways.
Hem... sorry for the other stupid posts, I guess I got carried away with some paranoia... What a shame
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2015   #35
theveterans

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FerchogtX View Post
I wonder if there are real practical differences between the Pro and Home versions, right now they look pretty similar... Good looking anyways.
Hem... sorry for the other stupid posts, I guess I got carried away with some paranoia... What a shame
For a casual user, no difference, but for enterprise and businesses, Pro will have domain join, Group Policy Snippet, Lusrmgr.msc Snippet, BitLocker, VHD boot, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #36
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Here's an article that you might like NoN; It's by Tracey Capen from Windows Secrets: Updating to Win10: Definitely a mixed experience
Pretty sad story for this new OS...

I know now its possible to upgrade fine under certain conditions due to hardware set up & Bios. It is just a shame that it had been through away RTM on the market and no valid graphics drivers on MS Server. I ended up with a the generic VGA driver!

Oh well, still a year to go.

PS: At least restore to previous version worked like a champ!! It had left my Windows 7 untouched!
Here, the "Rollback" from the Recovery Console in Windows 10 had worked well, BUT....it had messed up a bit the Task Scheduler by deleting plenty of tasks also the ones for Media Center and Office, One drive.

One can repair the Task scheduler or reinstall their Softwares (Oops....Apps!) to restore the entries.

This leads me to wondering if the Task Scheduler entries in Windows 10 will be still that valid?!? Seems manies of those Softwares will have to be reinstalled if one want to keep the upgrade on their machine for a while, before to do a clean install if the New OS please enough.

Meanwhile as i'm testing this, i got the "Get Windows 10" icon that had appeared in my taskbar half a day after i decided to install those horrible Kb articles.

I'm so curious!!! Hope i'll not byte my fingers afterward...see how much hours i spent on Black Screen!

Says my PC is ready and I reserved my Windows 10 copy with Microsoft through that "Get Windows 10"...just to be sure it can be activated on a legit machine and seems it had started to download the file in ~BT folder.

EDIT: I still do not know why i got stuck on Black Screen upon reboot after the upgrade that went fine and i just saw in C:\ today, that during the process it had downloaded the AMD Drivers from WU: "WU-CCC2"...it was a generic VGA driver loaded in Windows 10.
I back again...

Well, This time i used the Windows 10 upgrade with the Windows Update setup.

I can tell that everything went fine with expected BSOD because of AMD driver during installation of Functionalities & Drivers but it hasn't stopped it to install.
So, arrived again to Windows 10 desktop in low resolution, i went straight to the Control Panel and System and saw that Windows 10 license key was activated.

It must be due to the Windows Update upgrade setup path.


The bad part...I went into display mode and set it to my screen resolution, then few minutes after a BSOD of the AMD display driver, forced to reboot...

Same old story....Black Screen on reboot and keyboard not responding past the blue Windows logo.

Spent few hours trying all sort of Fix grabbed from the TenForums...Did start up repairs & SFC /SCANNOW at boot because of multiple hard reseting i've done but still No luck!!!

One thing that i'm lucky with, is the "Restore to Previous Version" in the Recovery Console!!!
Congrats to "Rollback function", though!

So, is that mean since the License Key for Windows 10 had been activated once, i can now do a clean install of Windows 10 without worrying about the upgrade notification??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #37
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

That's what I've read NoN
Might confirm on tenforums though
I'd be waiting for amd to catch up :/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #38
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
That's what I've read NoN
Might confirm on tenforums though
I'd be waiting for amd to catch up :/
That's what i'm thinking too...now, shouldn't be an issue activating.

I've put the AMD v15.7.1 drivers for 10 in my personal folder along some others to have it back when on windows 10 desktop but it didn't even let me the time to install those.

Looks a clean install is that will suit me the best. I'm not registered to the TenForums, i'll do that when i'll get it to work!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #39
Dude

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

Good luck with the clean install NoN
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #40
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Good luck with the clean install NoN
Yeah, i'll do that sooner or later...thanks

At the moment its downloading again Windows 10 through WU after the "Rollback", as it has wipe the C:\Windows BT folder upon reboot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 10 Free Upgrade Available in 190 Countries Today




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Free copy of DVD Fab - Today only!
DVD Fab is featured today on Give Away of the Day: Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Today: DVDFab DVD Copy - DVDFab DVD Copy is the most powerful and flexible DVD copying/burning software which can copy and backup any DVD with ... DVD Fab is great for ripping all sorts of...
Software
Fable II free today!
Mixrosoft/Xbox Live is offering a free download of full version of Fable II game for Xbox 360. 1. Click Here 2. Sign into your Xbox Live Account 3. Click Download to Xbox 360 4. Your game will be downloaded next time you sign into Xbox Live from your Xbox 360
Gaming
Bejeweled 2 for free, today only!
PopCap is celebrating the 10th anniversary of Bejeweled, so they are giving away Bejeweled 2 for free, today only! Get it: from here.
Gaming
System Upgrade Utilities 2010 for free (only today)
|System Upgrade Utilities 2010 Easily change from Windows® XP/Vista to Windows 7 using Paragon System Upgrade Utilities 2010. With our leading-edge technology, you can move effortless to the latest operating system. Decide how long you want to keep your existing Windows system, and which...
Software
Free Today - Paragon Sys Upgrade Utilities.
It's not immediately clear what this is for. It isn't just for upgrading to a new o/s . It has lots of other useful functions. It consists of Partition Manager (personal edition ), and the Virtualization manager. Even if you already have the partition manager, it is worth the download for...
Software
ZoneAlarm Pro free today only!
Link: ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall Free - 24 Hour Promo The good: 3 user license for ZoneAlarm Pro firewall for one year free (normal value: $39.95) The bad: Credit Card or Debit Card required; auto renew unless you opt out during checkout
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:10.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App