Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 10 Free Upgrade Available in 190 Countries Today

06 Aug 2015   #61
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Today the folder C:\Windows BT had been wiped by underlying processes of DismHost & CompatTelRunner. I wonder if it has something to do with the upcoming update SR1....Will be great if they also stream a new build ISO.
Looks Microsoft have updated the MediaCreationTool (x64 at least)...It's now version 10.0.10240.16423 and before was v10.0.10240.16399.

I'm creating a new key.

How do you find out what version you have on the flash drive or dvd or iso image? I have the iso images.


Does the DisableWinTracking really work?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Aug 2015   #62
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Today the folder C:\Windows BT had been wiped by underlying processes of DismHost & CompatTelRunner. I wonder if it has something to do with the upcoming update SR1....Will be great if they also stream a new build ISO.
Looks Microsoft have updated the MediaCreationTool (x64 at least)...It's now version 10.0.10240.16423 and before was v10.0.10240.16399.

I'm creating a new key.

How do you find out what version you have on the flash drive or dvd or iso image? I have the iso images.


Does the DisableWinTracking really work?
Unfortunately the version of the Setup.exe inside the Key folder after having downloading with the newer MediaCreationToolx64, seems to stay at v10.0.10240.16384 and the last files remains from this July.

Looks only the tool is refreshed.

As for the other software i have not tested yet because i had to Rollback (Black Screen) to Windows 7.

So, if installed with the Usb Key, one can skip the recommended updates and choose to download the Cumulative Stand-alone packages, which will speed up to process in & once on Windows 10 desktop!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2015   #63
ddadda82

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

This move by Microsoft made me happy and bitter and the same time.

Happy because I can upgrade my machines for free. All running genuine Windows 7 and 8, grand total 3 laptops.

But my acquaintances (real life) who all have been running pirated Windows 7 can also upgrade for free.

Yes, for free. Activated as written in Windows 10 status running on their machine.

Not happy (cause it cost me arms and legs to buy genuine Windows, while pirates get 'em for nothing.... and genuine....).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Aug 2015   #64
Monado

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ddadda82 View Post
This move by Microsoft made me happy and bitter and the same time.

Happy because I can upgrade my machines for free. All running genuine Windows 7 and 8, grand total 3 laptops.

But my acquaintances (real life) who all have been running pirated Windows 7 can also upgrade for free.

Yes, for free. Activated as written in Windows 10 status running on their machine.

Not happy (cause it cost me arms and legs to buy genuine Windows, while pirates get 'em for nothing.... and genuine....).

Wait, from what I understand is that if you upgrade a pirated Windows copy, Windows 10 will still not be genuine. Microsoft even said this when they announced the free upgrade.

Even then, I don't think they make it a legit Windows 10. They simply can't. Otherwise pretty much anyone who wants Windows 10 for free would just pirate Win 7 and then upgrade it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #65
ddadda82

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monado View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ddadda82 View Post
This move by Microsoft made me happy and bitter and the same time.

Happy because I can upgrade my machines for free. All running genuine Windows 7 and 8, grand total 3 laptops.

But my acquaintances (real life) who all have been running pirated Windows 7 can also upgrade for free.

Yes, for free. Activated as written in Windows 10 status running on their machine.

Not happy (cause it cost me arms and legs to buy genuine Windows, while pirates get 'em for nothing.... and genuine....).

Wait, from what I understand is that if you upgrade a pirated Windows copy, Windows 10 will still not be genuine. Microsoft even said this when they announced the free upgrade.

Even then, I don't think they make it a legit Windows 10. They simply can't. Otherwise pretty much anyone who wants Windows 10 for free would just pirate Win 7 and then upgrade it.
Whether genuine or not, their Windows 10 (which were an upgraded copy of pirated Windows 7) are listed as activated right now. In front of my eyes.

What Microsoft said is irrelevant since I am looking at cold, hard truth.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #66
Monado

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ddadda82 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monado View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ddadda82 View Post
This move by Microsoft made me happy and bitter and the same time.

Happy because I can upgrade my machines for free. All running genuine Windows 7 and 8, grand total 3 laptops.

But my acquaintances (real life) who all have been running pirated Windows 7 can also upgrade for free.

Yes, for free. Activated as written in Windows 10 status running on their machine.

Not happy (cause it cost me arms and legs to buy genuine Windows, while pirates get 'em for nothing.... and genuine....).

Wait, from what I understand is that if you upgrade a pirated Windows copy, Windows 10 will still not be genuine. Microsoft even said this when they announced the free upgrade.

Even then, I don't think they make it a legit Windows 10. They simply can't. Otherwise pretty much anyone who wants Windows 10 for free would just pirate Win 7 and then upgrade it.
Whether genuine or not, their Windows 10 (which were an upgraded copy of pirated Windows 7) are listed as activated right now. In front of my eyes.

What Microsoft said is irrelevant since I am looking at cold, hard truth.
Wow, if that's the case then, microsoft is then planning something with those users who upgraded for free (Paid upgrades)
Too good to be true to get an activated windows copy out of a pirated windows 7.
I'm going to try to see if it indeed registers the Windows 10 as genuine from a pirated Win 7, as for some reason I keep thinking activated and genuine are not on the same boat (IIRC you can activate a pirated windows 7, but later it will tell you that is not a genuine copy, by preventing the user to change the desktop background and placing an annoying watermark)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #67
python134r

 

Its true, whether a pirated version or a real version with bogus activation [KMS tool etc] you get an activated real version of Win 10.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #68
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

I think I know what the issue is. I don't think those people will be able to do a clean install though. Microsoft can't tell on windows 7 sp1 if it is a legit oem-slp or not legit. In fact, in the faq it implies that you will need to use your key on the back of the machine if windows 7 is pre-installed. I have a legit oem-install from dell. You were suppose to enter your windows key during the upgrade. So, I went ahead a change the key to what on the back of my machine and activated it. I upgrade windows 7 oem to windows 10 home, activated, then did a clean install and it activated once connected to the internet. However, alphanumeric did a test without changing the key with a legit oem-slp system and he upgraded fine to windows 10 and activated but I don't know if he ever did a clean install to see if the activation remains.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #69
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yea I don't believe the fun really starts until a user tries to roll back or reinstall the previous interesting os
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #70
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
I think I know what the issue is. I don't think those people will be able to do a clean install though. Microsoft can't tell on windows 7 sp1 if it is a legit oem-slp or not legit. In fact, in the faq it implies that you will need to use your key on the back of the machine if windows 7 is pre-installed. I have a legit oem-install from dell. You were suppose to enter your windows key during the upgrade. So, I went ahead a change the key to what on the back of my machine and activated it. I upgrade windows 7 oem to windows 10 home, activated, then did a clean install and it activated once connected to the internet. However, alphanumeric did a test without changing the key with a legit oem-slp system and he upgraded fine to windows 10 and activated but I don't know if he ever did a clean install to see if the activation remains.
Good to know, thanks.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Yea I don't believe the fun really starts until a user tries to roll back or reinstall the previous interesting os
Well, ain't it fun when you have to Rollback...?

This is my Third attempt and i've used the upgrade path again because the August 5th cumulative Update package was included.

Again got two BSOD but made it nearly through...Black screen!!! But this time i succeeded enter "Safe Mode" and i'm right now in SFC /SCANNOW command. It had founded files and have repaired them.

Went in Device Manager and disabled the allow computer to turn off this device for keyboard & mouse and let the one for waking up too.

See you at reboot!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 10 Free Upgrade Available in 190 Countries Today




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Free copy of DVD Fab - Today only!
DVD Fab is featured today on Give Away of the Day: Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Today: DVDFab DVD Copy - DVDFab DVD Copy is the most powerful and flexible DVD copying/burning software which can copy and backup any DVD with ... DVD Fab is great for ripping all sorts of...
Software
Fable II free today!
Mixrosoft/Xbox Live is offering a free download of full version of Fable II game for Xbox 360. 1. Click Here 2. Sign into your Xbox Live Account 3. Click Download to Xbox 360 4. Your game will be downloaded next time you sign into Xbox Live from your Xbox 360
Gaming
Bejeweled 2 for free, today only!
PopCap is celebrating the 10th anniversary of Bejeweled, so they are giving away Bejeweled 2 for free, today only! Get it: from here.
Gaming
System Upgrade Utilities 2010 for free (only today)
|System Upgrade Utilities 2010 Easily change from Windows® XP/Vista to Windows 7 using Paragon System Upgrade Utilities 2010. With our leading-edge technology, you can move effortless to the latest operating system. Decide how long you want to keep your existing Windows system, and which...
Software
Free Today - Paragon Sys Upgrade Utilities.
It's not immediately clear what this is for. It isn't just for upgrading to a new o/s . It has lots of other useful functions. It consists of Partition Manager (personal edition ), and the Virtualization manager. Even if you already have the partition manager, it is worth the download for...
Software
ZoneAlarm Pro free today only!
Link: ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall Free - 24 Hour Promo The good: 3 user license for ZoneAlarm Pro firewall for one year free (normal value: $39.95) The bad: Credit Card or Debit Card required; auto renew unless you opt out during checkout
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App