Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 10 Free Upgrade Available in 190 Countries Today

08 Aug 2015   #81
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Yep see you might be just fine

I just can't get into all of the live title stuff and will not use a M$ account
Everything thing else is cosmetic for me
All apps list on the start menu makes no sense on a desktop.
Well, i've Windows Phone and this is very practical to me to quickly access to stuff and store some (i know, Clouds...are dangerous! ).
For the Windows Desktop Version as i know about windows 8.1, i've make myself a reason with MS. I'm a big Boy () now and i'm not fearing too much leaks on my account. I'm not Facebook user nor I'm a Twitter so i'm quite protected from invasive talks and posts. Does MS Offering us free version because he get paid enough by third party following your mouvements arounds?

I Can't see myself taking out for a small ride and fresh air my 48.50lb weighted PC case!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Aug 2015   #82
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Yep I personally have given up on the whole idea of the updating process
When a disk is available and the price is right as well as the time I'll be more than willing to give 10 a go
But until then I'm purely a spectator = quite a change after testing iso builds for so long but I can live with that
I'm really hopping the price drops it already did a little on Newegg about 10% but still not enough and I believe it was a download.
Time is on my side only M$ is in a hurry
I gave up the Upgrade path...Rollback

Its definetely a display issue, both drivers for AMD & INTEL Windows 10 that i have tested one by one goes BSOD and the Microsoft generic BasicDisplay.sys won't let me out of black screen (tried hard all suggestions grabbed around, though!).

Tested Safe Mode with Network to load drivers, same same. My monitor refresh rates was set Ok at 1920x1080 (32bit/64Hz) and it was like on reboot no signal on it.

Otherwise Windows 10 have its charm in Safe Mode, and it works flawlessly!!!

By the time its drop on price an entire year will have pass and the free offer won't be there anymore!!

I have to make myself clear on the idea to left Windows 7 for Windows 10, because if i do a Clean Install i do not think i want to go through the hassle to reinstall all on my actual machine.

I'm even afraid to Clean Install now that i know Display drivers BSOD....

What would it be if after i just can't use it!
NoN

You could still try a clean install, once it activates on an upgrade, it should always activate even after the free offer expires.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2015   #83
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Yep I personally have given up on the whole idea of the updating process
When a disk is available and the price is right as well as the time I'll be more than willing to give 10 a go
But until then I'm purely a spectator = quite a change after testing iso builds for so long but I can live with that
I'm really hopping the price drops it already did a little on Newegg about 10% but still not enough and I believe it was a download.
Time is on my side only M$ is in a hurry
I gave up the Upgrade path...Rollback

Its definetely a display issue, both drivers for AMD & INTEL Windows 10 that i have tested one by one goes BSOD and the Microsoft generic BasicDisplay.sys won't let me out of black screen (tried hard all suggestions grabbed around, though!).

Tested Safe Mode with Network to load drivers, same same. My monitor refresh rates was set Ok at 1920x1080 (32bit/64Hz) and it was like on reboot no signal on it.

Otherwise Windows 10 have its charm in Safe Mode, and it works flawlessly!!!

By the time its drop on price an entire year will have pass and the free offer won't be there anymore!!

I have to make myself clear on the idea to left Windows 7 for Windows 10, because if i do a Clean Install i do not think i want to go through the hassle to reinstall all on my actual machine.

I'm even afraid to Clean Install now that i know Display drivers BSOD....

What would it be if after i just can't use it!
NoN

You could still try a clean install, once it activates on an upgrade, it should always activate even after the free offer expires.
Yeah, i know i can do that...It's just a matter of thinking soundly!

I like my damn Windows7 too!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Aug 2015   #84
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Pretty much why I would rather buy 10 rather than upgrading 7 and will it's just a matter of when not if
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2015   #85
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monado View Post
Right now, users have found Windows 10 still has the keyloggers it had on the insiders preview.
So yeah...
Source?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2015   #86
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monado View Post
Right now, users have found Windows 10 still has the keyloggers it had on the insiders preview.
So yeah...
Source?
Microsoft windows 10 EULA and privacy policy. If you search google news you can find the exact parts people are concerned about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2015   #87
Monado

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
Source?
Like groze said, its on the EULA.
Here's the script that mentions it:
Quote:
"When you input text, handwrite notes, or link comments, we may collect samples of your input..." "Many features that transmit data to Microsoft are enabled automatically. You will not have the option to turn off the transmission of data for certain features in the Program software and services. To stop the transmission of all data, you must completely uninstall the Program software and services from all of your devices. This may require you to reinstall your device’s operating system."
You can uninstall the keylogger without having to reinstall W10 though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2015   #88
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monado View Post

Like groze said, its on the EULA.
Here's the script that mentions it:
Quote:
"When you input text, handwrite notes, or link comments, we may collect samples of your input..." "Many features that transmit data to Microsoft are enabled automatically. You will not have the option to turn off the transmission of data for certain features in the Program software and services. To stop the transmission of all data, you must completely uninstall the Program software and services from all of your devices. This may require you to reinstall your device’s operating system."
You can uninstall the keylogger without having to reinstall W10 though.
Thanks. Appreciate the info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2015   #89
FerchogtX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monado View Post
Wait, from what I understand is that if you upgrade a pirated Windows copy, Windows 10 will still not be genuine. Microsoft even said this when they announced the free upgrade.

Even then, I don't think they make it a legit Windows 10. They simply can't. Otherwise pretty much anyone who wants Windows 10 for free would just pirate Win 7 and then upgrade it.
Well... here is the deal, Windows 8.1 users that pirated a copy will be detected as non genuine, because they are activated via KMS, and taking in mind that method is offline and uses "fake" servers, it's easy for Microsoft to invalidate those activations.

Windows 7 by the other hand is a different story, Windows 7 has this OEM system for activation, that only retailers or OEMs could access... well, until someone released the methods for activating. For example, you don't need your COA sticker to reinstall Windows 7 over a laptop that already has a SLIC table in the BIOS, the only thing you need is reinstall, save your certificate (yes a certificate for OEMs so they can validate systems in mass) and a valid OEM serial key, do the appropiate steps, and vuala! Windows 7 activated without going online. Simple huh?

Also, there are loaders that activate Windows 7 emulating this exact behaviour, and guess what, the former I mention and this one activates and makes Windows pass as genuine... yes, genuine, I've seen that, just activate with a loader and go to the validation website from Microsoft, you will not get a non genuine advice never, NEVER. It's like an original OEM system install.

In short, pirates emulated the way OEMs used to activate Windows 7 for their mass production of PCs, therefore the desition from MS of removing that and allowing them only online activations via special servers from them... Windows 8.1 now has a more complicated system with a SLIC 2.2 table, that's why people that pirates it uses KMS activators, but those are, again, easily detected.

For Windows 7, it's another story, yes, in fact, you can always downgrade to Windows 7 if you use 8.1) activate and upgrade to Windows 10, will pass as genuine and activate, that activation will be tied to the motherboard ID info, stored on MS servers, so you can install Windows 10 on that machne as many times as you want. Microsoft desn't have a way to detect this, none, nada, because the "false" SLIC tables are loaded into memory, like a normal OEM system does. It's technically, genuine.

Personally, I'll preffer to buy Windows 10 a year after all this mess, because, if you don't know already, Start Menu and Cortana seems to have issues, and the latest update to fix that results on an endless boot loop. You can see why, this is a massive experiment to see what to change in Windows 10 and what not to. I would suggest returning back the ability to configure Windows Update as you like, we don't even have a week after release, and yet, the first "bugged" patch is doing its job...
Windows 10 Forced Updates Causing Endless Crash Loops - Forbes
Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3081424 Fails to Install, Stuck in Reboot Loop - Softpedia

In case you wanna fix it:
Windows 10 Cumulative update KB3081424 fails to install, stuck at 30%: How to fix
Here they explain that you can install manually and avoid issues:
Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3081424 Fails To Install For Some

Yeah, I'm waiting a year, totally worths it...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2015   #90
Monado

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Wow, I never knew that. Thanks for the info.

Seems like M$ don goofed.

But yeah, I decided to not upgrade until 2016. Windows 10 is still unfinished.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 10 Free Upgrade Available in 190 Countries Today




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Free copy of DVD Fab - Today only!
DVD Fab is featured today on Give Away of the Day: Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Today: DVDFab DVD Copy - DVDFab DVD Copy is the most powerful and flexible DVD copying/burning software which can copy and backup any DVD with ... DVD Fab is great for ripping all sorts of...
Software
Fable II free today!
Mixrosoft/Xbox Live is offering a free download of full version of Fable II game for Xbox 360. 1. Click Here 2. Sign into your Xbox Live Account 3. Click Download to Xbox 360 4. Your game will be downloaded next time you sign into Xbox Live from your Xbox 360
Gaming
Bejeweled 2 for free, today only!
PopCap is celebrating the 10th anniversary of Bejeweled, so they are giving away Bejeweled 2 for free, today only! Get it: from here.
Gaming
System Upgrade Utilities 2010 for free (only today)
|System Upgrade Utilities 2010 Easily change from Windows® XP/Vista to Windows 7 using Paragon System Upgrade Utilities 2010. With our leading-edge technology, you can move effortless to the latest operating system. Decide how long you want to keep your existing Windows system, and which...
Software
Free Today - Paragon Sys Upgrade Utilities.
It's not immediately clear what this is for. It isn't just for upgrading to a new o/s . It has lots of other useful functions. It consists of Partition Manager (personal edition ), and the Virtualization manager. Even if you already have the partition manager, it is worth the download for...
Software
ZoneAlarm Pro free today only!
Link: ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall Free - 24 Hour Promo The good: 3 user license for ZoneAlarm Pro firewall for one year free (normal value: $39.95) The bad: Credit Card or Debit Card required; auto renew unless you opt out during checkout
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App