Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Xbox users - MS blocks servers due to piracy

12 Nov 2009   #1
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 
Xbox users - MS blocks servers due to piracy

Hi all
XBOX users (600,000 approx) have now been blocked from accessing MS servers since some have been "chipped" to be able to load / play pirated games.

Just listening to this via the web from BBC R5 ("Radio Five Live") program.

Here's the linfo from the BBC site if you want further information.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8354166.stm

I should think there will be a lot of disappointed / angry legit users -- suppose it was because "Warefare II" or whatever its called has already made its way "out into the wild".

Cheers
jimbo


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Nov 2009   #2
burtie

Vista/Windows 7
 
 

Serves their own right for using pirated games....cheep skates! lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #3
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

indeed, if only they did this for pc gamers, the gaming scene would be in much better shape.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Nov 2009   #4
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
indeed, if only they did this for pc gamers, the gaming scene would be in much better shape.
Heh, I'm sure there be many people that hate you for that comment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #5
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
indeed, if only they did this for pc gamers, the gaming scene would be in much better shape.
Heh, I'm sure there be many people that hate you for that comment.
It's true though - Piracy has killed the golden age of PC gaming

But you'll never be able to stop the proliferation of Pirated PC games because it's so easy to get away with.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #6
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi all

"Psst want a cheap X-Box 25 GBP" !!.

I'll bet these type of offers will soon be around -- just wait and see how people will get suckered into buying one of these "chipped" boxes and wont be able to play their games.

I don't suppose it will be too long before someone comes out with a "Re chip" -- but don't forget unless you use a proxy your IP address will also have been logged in MS'es Servers.

So the moral IS

Don't use the edition shown below for your apps.

Cheers

jimbo


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #7
7Dreams

Windows 7 Build 7600 64bit/Ubuntu/Leopard
 
 

Xbox'es aren't chipped, they're flashed, well the dvd drive firmware is flashed so that it can read backups, and theres no way to unban your console, once its banned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #8
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 7Dreams View Post
Xbox'es aren't chipped, they're flashed, well the dvd drive firmware is flashed so that it can read backups, and theres no way to unban your console, once its banned.
Technology will usually find a way -- if people can update the firmware - they could conceivably change the serial number etc etc etc. - Whether its "Flashing" or "Chipping" I think the meaning is clear -- the device has been "unofficially modified".

They could even put a brand new hardware chip into it I suppose -.

The biggest problem of course is if your IP address is blocked - then you'll have some serious explaining to do if yo want to connect again to that server from the same IP address.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #9
najaboy

Windows 7 Pro RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi all

"Psst want a cheap X-Box 25 GBP" !!.

I'll bet these type of offers will soon be around -- just wait and see how people will get suckered into buying one of these "chipped" boxes and wont be able to play their games.

I don't suppose it will be too long before someone comes out with a "Re chip" -- but don't forget unless you use a proxy your IP address will also have been logged in MS'es Servers.

So the moral IS

Don't use the edition shown below for your apps.

Cheers

jimbo
The modded 360s still play games and "backups" offline just as they did before. The only functionality that's affected is the ability to connect to Live and play online, which may not be that big of a deal to someone looking for a 360 on the cheap.

ETA: It seems that if a console that was scheduled to be banned subsequently tried logging into Live, they also lost the ability to play "backups" offf the HDD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #10
zone23

Windows 7 X64
 
 

Quote:
The biggest problem of course is if your IP address is blocked - then you'll have some serious explaining to do if yo want to connect again to that server from the same IP address.
IP addresses don't mean squat if they wanted to they could go by MAC address of the NIC. That would have you pretty much nailed. I was hoping MS would track my stolen XBox via the NIC but I'm just not high enough on the food chain to get it done. MS has the serial number and corisponding MAC address of every XBox out there. Technically if you have a modded XBox they could knock on your door any day it would be very easy for them. We all know how easy it is to trace an IP address. So by just banning your box consider your self lucky.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Xbox users - MS blocks servers due to piracy




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Need help bridging xbox 360 to laptop for xbox live connection.
hello, i hope someone can help me as i have spent countless hours browsing the web and different forums for an answer, so i am finally posting somewhere hoping someone can help me directly. i have a laptop connected to my neighbors xfinity wifi hotspot, using my uncles login information. i have...
Network & Sharing
Windows Firewall blocks Xbox as an Extender - Win 7 Ultimate N x64
I have spend over a week tried to figure out why Windows Firewall connected fine to Xbox 360 on Windows 7 Ultimate x86 but not on the other Windows 7 Ultimate N x64 + Media Feature Pack. The 2nd one required me to shut off Windows Firewall. I hope what my solution will help anyone who received the...
Media Center
Network Sharing hardwired from computer to Xbox. Xbox NoInternetAcess
Hey I am having problems connecting to Xbox live because it has no internet access and I have tried lots of protocols and nothing is working. I need help! I am not a computer savvy person but I think I have done enough resetting and going through countless forums. Okay here is the deal I am...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App