Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 10 creeps even closer to landing on your PC

03 Feb 2016   #31
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
GIMP vs Photoshop

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Each to their own Wolfgang. I don't see the professional or even serious amateur photographer moving to GIMP any time soon. It's layout is confusing and documentation is terrible.
I've completed 3 Photoshop courses (2 at TAFE) and I almost never open Photoshop, because GIMP is so much easier to use (in general) and it starts up in about half the time that Photoshop takes.
I usually don't manipulate photos though.

If you set GIMP to Single Window Mode it's much less annoying than the default mode.

Photoshop has a hideous almost unusable GUI.

IMO, it's impossible to work out what tool is hidden behind any particular non-informative micro-icon.
You can't even set it to show you all of the standard tools (only 2 columns in CS6).

The weird thing is that Adobe actually set up the same GUI properly in Flash CS6.
For example, you can display all of the standard tools (in 4 columns).

Photoshop has better advanced photo tools (and the live tool previews are great) but they aren't easy to use.
The brush adjustments are also easier to use in Photoshop than GIMP.

I agree that:
  • Professional photographers won't be switching to GIMP (they can also write off the cost of Photoshop)
  • The documentation is severely lacking, like most free software (although commercial software documentation is also garbage these days)
Windows 10 creeps even closer to landing on your PC-gimp-vs-photoshop-cs6.jpg





My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Feb 2016   #32
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
When the next version of Office(2010 to 2013) etc is slightly different in usage, "the professional or even serious amateur photographer" will have issues with that too.
I think you have your software mixed up
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2016   #33
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
I usually don't manipulate photos though.
This is one of the main purposes of Photoshop(PS) or Lightroom.
Photoshop Elements(PSE) is the Adobe stripped down version of Photoshop (80% PS capability) and is very intuitive and easy to learn. Both PS and PSE come with detailed manuals and there are many good books out there to teach the user.
I don't like spending money when I don't need to and am certainly not blindly pushing Adobes bandwagon. At the end of the day Prof photographers want to stay in business by keeping the customers happy and using efficient work flows. I've seen it stated that 90% of the time they use Lightroom.

I don't want to side track any more using photography as an example. My point is that there is a lot of Windows based software that is not supported on linux platforms.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Feb 2016   #34
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Windows VM

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
I usually don't manipulate photos though.
This is one of the main purposes of Photoshop(PS) or Lightroom.
I mostly manipulate artwork (i.e. cartoons/drawings and CGI).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I don't want to side track any more using photography as an example. My point is that there is a lot of Windows based software that is not supported on linux platforms.
I use a Windows VM if I need to use "Windows only" software in Linux (like games, Adobe & MS software).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2016   #35
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Most user professionals, businesses and the average user wouldn't know or want to be using a virtual machine to run Windows. I would say they along with Corporate users will adopt what ever variant of Windows 10 is on offer beyond 2020 provided it isn't subscription and too cloud focused.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2016   #36
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

By 2020 hopefully Microsoft will have a operating system people are willing to pay for.
Operating system, programs, ect. that are not cloud based will be preferred by many.

Cloud based might work great but only as great as your internet connection.
A storm comes up and knocks out your internet and a thousand workstations. That should make the owners of the company very happy.
All those employees shooting the s--- and drinking coffee waiting to get the internet back so they can jump to the cloud and continue working.

What am I missing?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2016   #37
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Jack, I lived your scenario. In the late 70s and early 80s we had an internal network where 300 large systems worldwide were interconnected with over 100.000 internal users. When this thing was down, we were rolling thumbs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2016   #38
Warrior

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)bit build 7601
 
 

I have had problems with this upgrade - problems I didn't want as didn't ask for free version as being cynical I know no such thing as a free lunch.
I looked for answers and tried various advice to rid myself of it - meanwhile Online Armour my firewall was and still is blocking it daily. I have updates on check and let me choose as no longer trust them. They downloaded GWX when I didnt ask for it but must have been disguised as read what it says at the side and said for Windows 7 and Desk did remove these files. Then told me not to download the KB3035583 & KB2952664. But there is still a bit in here as OA Firewall blocks it daily and looking in 64 bit programs files inside "Windows" is one called "Migration" and it is in there om another file called WTR. I haven't tried to get rid of it as no idea how. Or even if can as couldn't earlier ones took M$ themselves to do it. What I dont like is this uncertainty of them sneakily not saying that the update is W10 but on the side of updates says for W7 so one is led to be live it is just that but now look at info and not always clear there either - latest is though so maybe they have had enough complaints.
Anyone is same predicament and knows how to get rid of Migration etc - I would be grateful. Or maybe its no Migration that is being blocked. But all I can find - after M$ did the removal of what had to be whole thing ready to go and from having it on auto update which cannot do now or may get it again.

They have gone without millions of dollars by giving it away so has to be a far greater payoff in collecting all our data - say wont use it except for own purposes - but after the forcing it on people who dont want it - well can we trust them ever again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2016   #39
jonnyhillow

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
When he needs something, he buys the installation CDs - if available. His wife does not allow him to go on the internet. She is afraid he might meet someone via the internet.



LOL , man , i have heard of guys being "whipped" before but no internet , this is the type of thing that convinces me i made the right choice by only viewing the opposite sex from a distance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2016   #40
jonnyhillow

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
I have had problems with this upgrade - problems I didn't want as didn't ask for free version as being cynical I know no such thing as a free lunch.
I looked for answers and tried various advice to rid myself of it - meanwhile Online Armour my firewall was and still is blocking it daily. I have updates on check and let me choose as no longer trust them. They downloaded GWX when I didnt ask for it but must have been disguised as read what it says at the side and said for Windows 7 and Desk did remove these files. Then told me not to download the KB3035583 & KB2952664. But there is still a bit in here as OA Firewall blocks it daily and looking in 64 bit programs files inside "Windows" is one called "Migration" and it is in there om another file called WTR. I haven't tried to get rid of it as no idea how. Or even if can as couldn't earlier ones took M$ themselves to do it. What I dont like is this uncertainty of them sneakily not saying that the update is W10 but on the side of updates says for W7 so one is led to be live it is just that but now look at info and not always clear there either - latest is though so maybe they have had enough complaints.
Anyone is same predicament and knows how to get rid of Migration etc - I would be grateful. Or maybe its no Migration that is being blocked. But all I can find - after M$ did the removal of what had to be whole thing ready to go and from having it on auto update which cannot do now or may get it again.

They have gone without millions of dollars by giving it away so has to be a far greater payoff in collecting all our data - say wont use it except for own purposes - but after the forcing it on people who dont want it - well can we trust them ever again.

The data collecting thing is a big turnoff for many , my biggest issue with Win 10 was the whole layout , metro app's , (hate it) and MS has taken away so much personal preference customization control users have had in the past .

Not being able to easily remove a lot of the programs was the biggest reason i had to go back to Win 7 , there is so much stuff built in to it that i have absolutely zero interest in .


Regarding the spying , i don't like it at all but i could of probably tolerated it if i liked my Win 10 experience (ran fine for 6 weeks) just hated the whole layout of Win 10 .

I was on "Wilder's Security Forums" the other day reading up about MS and the whole spying thing again regarding Win 7 specifically .

Well , i ran across a few long posts that displayed very detailed info about what MS is really collecting from users in Win 7 and especially Win 10 and it blew my mind completely .

Wilders regulars sounded like they were in shock , i had to read through it a couple times to make sure i understood it but it's unbelievable , much much worse than i could ever have imagined actually .

I wish i could link it but there would be an uproar for sure, not allowed i got in trouble in the past for that but it's from extremely well respected sources and it's very in depth about what , where , who and how often and i don't think anybody would say this is OK behavior.

MS is hiding a ton about what their really doing according to this info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 10 creeps even closer to landing on your PC




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
FAA to Allow Gadget Use During Takeoff, Landing
Source A Guy
News
Happy Landing
3480079
Chillout Room
RAM usage creeps up?
Hi Folks, I'm on the RTM build (one of the custom "touched" builds) and I've noticed that my RAM usage seems to rise the longer I'm on. For instance: Yesterday I came home from work and started my machine. After startup the RAM was at around 27% just idling. I then checked my mails, looked at...
Performance & Maintenance
VBox - CPU Utilization Creeps Up
VBox 3.08 hosting XP32, running EdgeStream Client in WiMP10. Viewing video stream on TFCnow.com Host CPU usage begins at 10-40%, fluctuating. I can live with that. After some time, CPU starts hitting 85-90+. The delay between 'normal' CPU and spiked CPU can be 5 minutes to 30+ minutes. ...
Virtualization
Windows 7, One Step Closer
More...
News
A closer look at the Windows 7 SKUs
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App