Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: U.S. Department of Defense to upgrade 4 million devices to Windows 10

19 Feb 2016   #21
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

You are correct I have never had a computing device of any kind remind me of anything. I don't need such reminders or want such reminders from any type of computing device.
I have no problem syncing pen and paper to make notes.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Feb 2016   #22
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
You are correct I have never had a computing device of any kind remind me of anything. I don't need such reminders or want such reminders from any type of computing device.
I have no problem syncing pen and paper to make notes.
I guess email is also not your thing; can't imagine you using email, every word you receive and send in cloud, with your email address and other personal information, available not only to your mail provider but also to the provider of everyone you have ever sent or received email.

I kind of respect that, myself a big fan of old fashioned letter writing and reading printed books instead of only communicating electronically and reading Kindle, fan of theater, concerts and opera instead of only watching TV and Internet streams.

Anyway, I could not survive a day without email, Skype, text messages and such. All totally in cloud, impossible for me to know where, or how it might be theoretically used in a doomsday scenario.

I really feel for you really important people who have to go through this ordeal for not letting any of that important personal information to the hands of these companies who only want to sell the interesting information about you. Luckily I know I am not an important person, therefore I do not believe MS or my ISP or my mobile provider or any of my email providers are interested in me and I can trust that nothing happens to me because of that information being in hands of MS, German Telecom, O2, Vodafone, Google and couple of other companies.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2016   #23
FerchogtX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

Glad you are having fun, M$ also has a good time with this...
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
I would stop using Windows the very day I would have to start entering the same notes, alarms, calendar details and such manually on each device I use because they are not synced, instead of simply syncing them to cloud and accessing them from any device.

Cortana is essential in that. Now the only thing I have to do while sitting here by my PC and remembering something essential I need to do tomorrow is to say "Hi, Cortana, remind me tomorrow at 1 PM to buy more whisky". While typing a reply to you, Cortana heard me and tomorrow at 1 PM, wherever I am, my PC, tablet and / or Windows Phone reminds me about that.
Well, one thing is to use a cloud based storage, which is supposed to be encrypted and out of reach for hackers and supposedly protected by privacy laws... but again, if telemetry is as shadowy as it can be... Go figure.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Honestly? MS sells my drunken Tinder pics to get some cash? I would laugh if it wasn't so sad to think that people really believe BS like that.
Not your Tinder pics... your passwords, your online banking info, your purchase choices, what software you install, what options you configure, system configuration, customizations, file associations...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Like a stereotype tinfoil hat brigade member you use that old trick telling "there's this post / article telling..." and conveniently forgetting the link to said post or article.
Aw... that was kind... I guess googling for something is hard this days, so I'll leave this just for you
Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3135173 Resets Default Apps on Your PC
File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot - Windows 10 Forums

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
I upgraded last night from Build 14257 to 14267 meaning I am currently running the absolute latest Windows 10 there is, with all updates. All my defaults still working as I have set them up.
Well... good for you, at least you didn't have to fight against the OS to get your custom file associations back... This is the reason you always disable WU Service in W10... It's rather intriguing this kind of "bugs" happen for no reason, in a time where they want to force W10 on users that even don't want to install it... Again, Go figure.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
I am in full control of my computers. I set them up as I want to, personalize and customize as I want to, use them as I want to.

I am truly sorry if you are not capable to control your machines.
But soon, if they continue this trending, you will not be able to, they will start dictaminating what you can install and what not, and even forcing system configurations through their AV solution and WU, read the TPP, is not that hard, I even got a PDF copy, Wikileaks is your friend, google it

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
People like Windows 10, far more than you guys ever want to admit.
If I have to tell you something, and maybe changing a few words of mine, Some people may like Windows 10, I do, I like it... but I don't like M$'s policies towards the development of the OS, they are clearly just experimenting and testing with users to see how they can control not only their data, but the OS and what they do to it.

Now, if you are so happy with W10, go for it, no one is forcing you to downgrade or change your mind, that's it. But remember, if you entitle a company to handover your life to others, don't come after saying they are evil... as LadyBack bear says... Google tracks information from you, they are evil, M$ does the same, it's OK... Does this even have any sense?

I mean, even the EVIL Google has tools to completely TURN OFF tracking you, if you know how to properly set that, also, they have the decency to tell you WhAT is for (Analytics for bloggers, regional customizations, geolocalization via GPS to track a stolen device, etc...), while M$ clearly HIDES any advanced configuration regarding telemetry and doesn't want to tell you what they collect and what for, just telling you that is for enhacing your W10 experience is not enough, it's like treating you like a baby... who's the bad guy now?

This is about companies trying to control what you do, not about if you like W10 or not... there are ways to do a smarter OS that doesn't involve sending sensitive information to a server, but that is just for people that wants a real OS experience, and don't pursue revenue from people's privacy...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Feb 2016   #24
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FerchogtX View Post
Aw... that was kind... I guess googling for something is hard this days, so I'll leave this just for you

Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3135173 Resets Default Apps on Your PC
File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot - Windows 10 Forums
For your information, even basic education and civilized manners tell it quite clearly that if you want to refer to an article, you mention the source. It is quite an arrogant attitude to refer to an article and tell the readers "Google it yourself". BTW, I don't Google. I Bing.

Again, assigning some grey cells to the task of understanding that Softpedia's article, minor brain activity when reading it reveals that this is a bug issue in an update, not something MS devilishly planned in order to "control your PC":

Quote:
Posts on TechNet confirm that KB3135173 makes unwanted changes on Windows 10 computers, but it’s not yet clear if the same behavior is experienced on all PCs (we’re not seeing any change to default apps after installing this cumulative update on our computers here at Softpedia).
(From Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3135173 Resets Default Apps on Your PC)

BTW, did you notice that? I referred to an article, therefore I gave the reference link, not expecting you to take my words as fact by not mentioning the source. Manners!

If this was the designed, planned action of this update all users would have it. But even Softpedia themselves admit they did not have this issue. Personally I do not have very much trust in a site that writes stories like this, the title clearly stating Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3135173 Resets Default Apps on Your PC (notice no "...might reset"), then in the same article tell we had no issues.

Binging that KB you'll find further proof that the update is not working, far more people are complaining about it failing to install than complaining about it resetting program defaults.

All in all, what I want to say is that this article and a few complaints about clearly unwanted, unplanned action caused by the update simply prove my point about much of the hate talk: "When there are no real facts to be used to support our point, let's make our own facts!"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2016   #25
jonnyhillow

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
Which problems? Windows 10 is for me, and judging by the most positive feedback on Ten Forums and other sites around the Interwebs for majority of users a stable, well functioning OS.
Good for you. Suggest you get some reading classes.
You got to understand "Kari" is a very very pro Win 10 die hard and defends everything regarding Win 10 from what i have seen .

Posts on the Win ten forums show this . Not criticizing just stating the obvious .

I couldn't disagree more with the comment "where ever you look the comments regarding Win 10 around the web are overwhelmingly positive regarding stability and function" , everything i see is issues , issues and more issues.

Kari also said all the phoning home is about improvement of the system and overall experience , most don't believe that at all and it can't be proved either way .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2016   #26
Clairvaux

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (OEM)
 
 

I drive a Porsche. I think people who drive Bentleys are stupid morons, and I'm quite willing to explain them why. I also think Porsches never experience breakdowns.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2016   #27
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I could not even get into a Porsche. But a Bentley is a comfortable car.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2016   #28
FerchogtX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FerchogtX View Post
Aw... that was kind... I guess googling for something is hard this days, so I'll leave this just for you

Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3135173 Resets Default Apps on Your PC
File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot - Windows 10 Forums
For your information, even basic education and civilized manners tell it quite clearly that if you want to refer to an article, you mention the source. It is quite an arrogant attitude to refer to an article and tell the readers "Google it yourself". BTW, I don't Google. I Bing.

Again, assigning some grey cells to the task of understanding that Softpedia's article, minor brain activity when reading it reveals that this is a bug issue in an update, not something MS devilishly planned in order to "control your PC":

Quote:
Posts on TechNet confirm that KB3135173 makes unwanted changes on Windows 10 computers, but it’s not yet clear if the same behavior is experienced on all PCs (we’re not seeing any change to default apps after installing this cumulative update on our computers here at Softpedia).
(From Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3135173 Resets Default Apps on Your PC)

BTW, did you notice that? I referred to an article, therefore I gave the reference link, not expecting you to take my words as fact by not mentioning the source. Manners!

If this was the designed, planned action of this update all users would have it. But even Softpedia themselves admit they did not have this issue. Personally I do not have very much trust in a site that writes stories like this, the title clearly stating Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3135173 Resets Default Apps on Your PC (notice no "...might reset"), then in the same article tell we had no issues.

Binging that KB you'll find further proof that the update is not working, far more people are complaining about it failing to install than complaining about it resetting program defaults.

All in all, what I want to say is that this article and a few complaints about clearly unwanted, unplanned action caused by the update simply prove my point about much of the hate talk: "When there are no real facts to be used to support our point, let's make our own facts!"
Manners...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari
Like a stereotype tinfoil hat brigade member you use that old trick telling "there's this post / article telling..." and conveniently forgetting the link to said post or article.
With that quote I'm done with the manners topic.

Now, you like W10? Go for it, I'm not, no matter how much you want to disguise the things M$ does, if W10 was soo good for all the people, they woudn't be trying to force it via "security" updates (In other words, they changed the update from optional, to important, so WU will install it no matter you like it or not, thats a dirty move and shows disrespect for a customer that bought and OS and doesn't want another one...) Deny that move all you want and set your "People can configure WU, you know?" argument, it's still a dirty move, and many unexperienced users that still, don't want W10 will get it anyways if they aren't informed enough on how to prevent M$ sneaking that in front of their noses...

Can you trust a company that even with W10, still breaks things with an update? Plattform Update for IE10 broke dual GPU systems blindly, now that cumulative update "conviniently breaks in an unintended way" file associations and default app configurations to... TADA! defaul M$ useless apps (well, aside from the mail app one, it's the only useful app I've found on W10 ecosystem...) And for the worst part, people that doesn't play enough with services has WU enabled, doing this nasty things no matter what, unless they completely disable the service (which is ridiculous, you SHOULD have an option to disable WU instead of doing this).

Ah... just forgot, if some systems may not experience changes it's because... yes, you guessed right! telemetry! See, for example, Firefox, in their beta builds enable telemetry (which is meant to be there, it's beta software after all), and that serves the purpose to get hardware information and software configuration details (technical), if you are a beta tester, it's not really an issue, but the point is that, some users now get Electrolysis enabled by default, because Mozilla wants to see how much they got of it working in a stable manner, some others don't get it enabled because some extensions may cause problems... how do they know that? TELEMETRY... Why does this M$ update only causes problems on certain systems? Go... figure...

Add to this their sneaky EULA, which clearly states what they are collecting from you, including your passwords... shady explanations (or none at all) and all configurations hidden.

Hate talk you say, let me tell you, I said I liked W10, I've tried it in a VM and besides it's plain look (I miss Aero, that was modern) it got back many stuff W8 removed for no reason, it's fast and quite comprehensive to work with... the bad stuff comes with telemetry, data traffic, lies, shady EULA terms forced upgrades from earlier OSes and poorly tested updates and patches. Constructive critique and worryness is what moves many users around this forum. If you don't care about that, go ahead and use the OS, I will never convice you to change your mind (nor I would never try to, anyone is free to do as they please), so I am, staying with W7 until it dies, then Linux Mint... unless a miracle happens and Windows returns to it's origins.

So, in short... I don't see real proofs that M$ is Mother Teresa de Calcuta, just arguments that say I'm a Conspiranoic Tin Foil Hat Hater... ah, and that I don't have manners. That just proves that you are frightened of the possibility of your data being sold and controled by third parties, that M$ can possibly try to control how you use and configure the OS and dictaminate the software you may install in a future... and when people is frightened, they tend to enter in denial states...

This is getting personal, so I'm over discussing this...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2016   #29
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

You made some good points and I tend to agree with you. Before I move to 10 I'll go with Linux.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2016   #30
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Agenticity is very strongly on display in some of these posts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 U.S. Department of Defense to upgrade 4 million devices to Windows 10




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
upgrade to windows 10, There are no supported networking devices
I have the msi gaming 5 mobo and a tl wn722n as wifi adaptor.
Drivers
Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices
Source: Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices | Blogging Windows How to Reserve Free Upgrade to Windows 10 using 'Get Windows 10' app in Windows 7 and 8.1 How to Cancel Reservation for Free Upgrade to Windows 10 in Get Windows 10 app Check Get Windows 10 app...
News
State Department spent over half a million to boost Facebook “likes"
You can't make this stuff up... Source A Guy
Chillout Room
Microsoft: 350 million Windows 7 devices to be shipped in 2012
Read more at: Microsoft: 350 million Windows 7 devices to be shipped in 2012 | Microsoft - CNET News
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App