Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: It's time for Microsoft to fix the Windows 7 update slowdowns

28 Apr 2016   #71
Dallas 7

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

At the very least, MS could fix this problem but by all indications they don't want to fix it. The tougher they make it, the harder I hang on to W7. Microsoft used to be a good company, but not any more.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Apr 2016   #72
Borg 386

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1, Win 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
I tried to update my laptop yesterday (W7 Home Premium).

After ~10 hours, it still hadn't started to download any of the selected updates.
I used the fix ThrashZone suggested & that worked great for me. How long it's fixed for, hard to say.

I d/l ed stand alone installer for kb3145739, turned off my updates (never check for updates), applied the patch, rebooted, turned on the updater (check for updates but let me choose....), rebooted, then about 5 mins later I had updates listed.

So that's something that worked for me on the 7 64, which I was having a lot of probs with. 7 32 so far hasn't had many problems.....yet
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2016   #73
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
How many versions of WUC do you see?
What KB # is that?

What do I need to be looking for? And where?

VP
Look here:

It's time for Microsoft to fix the Windows 7 update slowdowns

I was just wondering which versions of WUC showed up.

If you are just complaining that updates took a long time to download last Patch Tuesday rather then complaining about daily scheduled checks taking forever then I'd suggest initiating the update downloads the following day. (The Wednesday after Patch Tuesday)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Apr 2016   #74
Vocalpoint

Windows 7 Professional SP1
 
 

See the attachment for what I show when I run that Powershell command:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
If you are just complaining that updates took a long time to download last Patch Tuesday rather then complaining about daily scheduled checks taking forever then I'd suggest initiating the update downloads the following day. (The Wednesday after Patch Tuesday)
I patch on the Saturday/Sunday AFTER Patch Tuesday and it took several hours to get 5 machines up to snuff.

This has nothing to do with available bandwidth or the servers being slammed. Unless everybody is patching on Saturday or Sunday mornings now?

VP


Attached Images
It's time for Microsoft to fix the Windows 7 update slowdowns-winupdates.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2016   #75
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post
See the attachment for what I show when I run that Powershell command:

This has nothing to do with available bandwidth or the servers being slammed. Unless everybody is patching on Saturday or Sunday mornings now?

VP
Suggest: Try removing

KB 3075851 - Aug 2015 - WUC: fixes mess due to KB3065987 [cuts down WUC memory usage, but hides Update notifications if GWX app is active] (replaces 3065987)

KB 3083324 - Sep 2015 - WUC: unspecified "improvements" (replaces 3075851)

KB 3083710 - Oct 2015 - WUC: unspecified "improvements" (replaces 3083324)

Commands needed for Elevated Command Prompt - Powershell:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075851 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3083324 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3083710 /quiet /norestart

But only if you are having a problem with daily update checks using tons of RAM and taking a long time.

I agree with your comment:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post
This has nothing to do with available bandwidth or the servers being slammed. Unless everybody is patching on Saturday or Sunday mornings now?
There's no problem but things usually tend to work a little faster if updates are not downloaded on Patch Tuesday.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2016   #76
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yea I do not see an Important update pushed out which was KB3112343 which was a update client too
This is one the newest is supposed to reference = no reference found and a very long search time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2016   #77
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Yea I do not see an Important update pushed out which was KB3112343 which was a update client too
This is one the newest is supposed to reference = no reference found and a very long search time.
Strange indeed that it doesn't show up!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2016   #78
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yea I did a search and it's gone on mine too
One of these must of removed it and just left behind what was supposed to be left behind ?
Search was from programs and features view installed updates.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3135445

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2016   #79
Dallas 7

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post
See the attachment for what I show when I run that Powershell command:

This has nothing to do with available bandwidth or the servers being slammed. Unless everybody is patching on Saturday or Sunday mornings now?

VP
Suggest: Try removing

KB 3075851 - Aug 2015 - WUC: fixes mess due to KB3065987 [cuts down WUC memory usage, but hides Update notifications if GWX app is active] (replaces 3065987)

KB 3083324 - Sep 2015 - WUC: unspecified "improvements" (replaces 3075851)

KB 3083710 - Oct 2015 - WUC: unspecified "improvements" (replaces 3083324)

Commands needed for Elevated Command Prompt - Powershell:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075851 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3083324 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3083710 /quiet /norestart

But only if you are having a problem with daily update checks using tons of RAM and taking a long time.

I agree with your comment:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post
This has nothing to do with available bandwidth or the servers being slammed. Unless everybody is patching on Saturday or Sunday mornings now?
There's no problem but things usually tend to work a little faster if updates are not downloaded on Patch Tuesday.

Callender....Question...... I went through the list of updates on my computer and the only one I found of those 3 you said to uninstall was KB3075851, so I uninstalled it. But you said "it fixes mess due to KB3065987" which I found also.
So the question is, should I uninstall both of those? (kb3075851 & kb3065987)??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2016   #80
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dallas 7 View Post
Callender....Question...... I went through the list of updates on my computer and the only one I found of those 3 you said to uninstall was KB3075851, so I uninstalled it. But you said "it fixes mess due to KB3065987" which I found also.
So the question is, should I uninstall both of those? (kb3075851 & kb3065987)??
No. Leave it alone unless you've got problems with very high RAM usage during daily scheduled windows update checks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 It's time for Microsoft to fix the Windows 7 update slowdowns




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft Update v Windows Update Problem
I do not have a Windows Update problem, but I do have a Microsoft Update problem. The latter is a tool to check for updates for Microsoft products other than Windows. I finally installed Office 2016 Professional X64 this week and I should be able to configure Windows Update to check for updates...
Windows Updates & Activation
Possible Virus? Strange Slowdowns & Sudden Shutdowns - Windows 7
I've had Windows 7 for probably 2 or so years now. I've experienced some weird slowdowns and sudden shutdowns on my computer. For reference, I use Avast, Microsoft Essentials and Norton Antivirus to detect any malware or Trojans on my computer... but when I search for something I find nothing. ...
General Discussion
Microsoft shrinks Windows 8 install time
Read more at source: Microsoft shrinks Windows 8 install time | ZDNet
News
Microsoft Mouse and keyboard are not detected from time to time.
I have an issue with my P8P67 PRO (Rev 3.1). Mouse but mainly keyboard (both Microsoft) are not detected during the cold boot from time to time, i suspect the BIOS is the one to blame i have the latest version, what can i do? Both are USB. Please help! is the MOBO faulty? When i turn...
Hardware & Devices
Windows cannot update or access update.microsoft.com
I was infected with a virus yesterday and while I think I've gotten rid of it (for the most part), one lingering side-effect (whether purposeful or not) is that I can't update my computer. When I try to use Windows Updates I get error 80072efe, which says the connection was interrupted. What's...
Windows Updates & Activation
Is it time for Microsoft to Split Windows in Two again?
Is it time for Microsoft to Split Windows in Two again? | Windows 8 News
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:58.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App