Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1

22 May 2016   #151
Zoloft

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Thanks for the Simplix heads up, helped me catch up on 6 months of updates I hadn't been doing due to all the failed/reverting issues and the crapware upgrade updates.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 May 2016   #152
pdsnickles

Vista Premium 64bit
 
 

Sorry I can't read this whole thread. Am hoping someone will answer these specific questions as I have limited net access.

First of all I want to tell people that when I THOUGHT Windows Update was hanging, it was not hanging at all. In fact it is working (for me, anyway) it is just SUPER SLOW. I would choose 30-40 mb worth of updates on my 2mbps connection and it would just sit there saying 0%. What I figured out today (after doing a bunch of FixIts and etc - who knows if any of them worked), is that Update IS working but it's so friggin slow it takes like 10 min to even Start, and then takes like 15 min to download 7mb worth of updates! Now I know 2mbps is a slow connection speed but Update is way slower than that! I mean it takes me like 30 min to download 7mb! So apparently WIndows servers are super but SUPER S - L - O - W !

Okay now 2 questions regarding this "convenience roll up" or whatever it's called:
First of all does the ROLL UP include the dreaded KB 3035583 which I am told will sneak Windows 10 in on you without your wanting it?

Secondly I downloaded the 476MB KB3125574 roll up but am I correct that just double clicking and installing it is not how this works? There are images and ISO's and stuff that I don't know about that has to be done in order to install this?

According to Windows Update service it seems at this point I only have 12 or so updates left to update now that my update is working (albeit super slow). Minus those I have hidden over the years...

So is it then easier for me just to keep - slowly - downloading/installing the updates rather than use this 476mb roll up file?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2016   #153
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Hello PDSNICKLES.

1) It doesn't contain KB3035583

2) Just double click to install. I would advise switching Windows Update to "Never check" before installing the update or it might hang. And you need to install the servicing stack update FIRST or the convenience rollup won't install. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

Hope that helps?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 May 2016   #154
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Hello PDSNICKLES.

1) ...I would advise switching Windows Update to "Never check" before installing the update or it might hang...It doesn't contain KB3035583

2) ... And you need to install the servicing stack update FIRST or the convenience rollup won't install.

Hope that helps?
To expand upon Brds7t7's answer:

1)
KB3125574 does not include Win 10 Telemetry KB's 2952664, 3021917 & 3033583;
KB3125574 does include KB's Win 10 Telemetry KB's3068708, 3075249 & 3080149.

2)
I also recommend installing/ check if already installed : KB3020369 (Svc Stack update, prerequisite), KB2670838 (Platform Update, prereq for IE11) IE11, KB3154070 (IE11 Cum Sec Update)KB3138612 (Latest WU Client) KB3145739 & KB3153199 (Latest Kernel-Mode Drivers) BEFORE you install KB3125574.

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2016   #155
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Urthboundmisfit View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Hello PDSNICKLES.

1) ...I would advise switching Windows Update to "Never check" before installing the update or it might hang...It doesn't contain KB3035583

2) ... And you need to install the servicing stack update FIRST or the convenience rollup won't install.

Hope that helps?
To expand upon Brds7t7's answer:

1)
KB3125574 does not include Win 10 Telemetry KB's 2952664, 3021917 & 3033583;
KB3125574 does include KB's Win 10 Telemetry KB's3068708, 3075249 & 3080149.

2)
I also recommend installing/ check if already installed : KB3020369 (Svc Stack update, prerequisite), KB2670838 (Platform Update, prereq for IE11) IE11, KB3154070 (IE11 Cum Sec Update)KB3138612 (Latest WU Client) KB3145739 & KB3153199 (Latest Kernel-Mode Drivers) BEFORE you install KB3125574.

HTH
The fact that the rollup contains some telemetry updates is enough for me to reject it. Thank you for clarifying that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2016   #156
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

The fact that the rollup contains some telemetry updates is enough for me to reject it. Thank you for clarifying that.
The telemetry tasks they (3 KBs) do include can easily be disabled in Task Manager FWIW

Installing Rollup & running subsequent Disk Cleanup/Windows Update Cleanup reduced # of installed updates listed from 227 pre-rollup to 67 post rollup and reclaimed about 2.5-3gb of disk space on my Win 7 Pro x64 (No Office) "Live System".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2016   #157
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 
sfc corrupt

Also look at this thread,
SFC corrupted
Convenience Rollup Breaks SFC

Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2016   #158
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Is there any reason to use this update if a person has a fully (current) updated system ?
To me it seems like it is for clean installs, or systems that are not up to date with Windows Updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2016   #159
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Urthboundmisfit View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Hello PDSNICKLES.

1) ...I would advise switching Windows Update to "Never check" before installing the update or it might hang...It doesn't contain KB3035583

2) ... And you need to install the servicing stack update FIRST or the convenience rollup won't install.

Hope that helps?
To expand upon Brds7t7's answer:

1)
KB3125574 does not include Win 10 Telemetry KB's 2952664, 3021917 & 3033583;
KB3125574 does include KB's Win 10 Telemetry KB's3068708, 3075249 & 3080149.

2)
I also recommend installing/ check if already installed : KB3020369 (Svc Stack update, prerequisite), KB2670838 (Platform Update, prereq for IE11) IE11, KB3154070 (IE11 Cum Sec Update)KB3138612 (Latest WU Client) KB3145739 & KB3153199 (Latest Kernel-Mode Drivers) BEFORE you install KB3125574.

HTH
The fact that the rollup contains some telemetry updates is enough for me to reject it. Thank you for clarifying that.
Lady, can those KB telemetry updates can be uninstalled via powershell? It would save a lot of people work when doing a clean install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2016   #160
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Urthboundmisfit View Post

To expand upon Brds7t7's answer:

1)
KB3125574 does not include Win 10 Telemetry KB's 2952664, 3021917 & 3033583;
KB3125574 does include KB's Win 10 Telemetry KB's3068708, 3075249 & 3080149.

2)
I also recommend installing/ check if already installed : KB3020369 (Svc Stack update, prerequisite), KB2670838 (Platform Update, prereq for IE11) IE11, KB3154070 (IE11 Cum Sec Update)KB3138612 (Latest WU Client) KB3145739 & KB3153199 (Latest Kernel-Mode Drivers) BEFORE you install KB3125574.

HTH
The fact that the rollup contains some telemetry updates is enough for me to reject it. Thank you for clarifying that.
Lady, can those KB telemetry updates can be uninstalled via powershell? It would save a lot of people work when doing a clean install.
Darned if I know! Heck, I don't even know what to look for to disable them in the task scheduler.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Check for updates keeps running-all installation/updates fail
I have never posted on a forum before so apologies if I am doing this wrong. The problem started when I tried to plug in my (new) iphone to my Dell pc. The device was not detected so I tried to update my itunes software - update failed and I received a Windows 7 error. After searching through...
Windows Updates & Activation
Advice for Simplifying Maintenance of Family PCs with Single Image
Warning - kind of long, but looking to set context/background before asking questions: I am seeking advice from the good folks here on my strategy...pros/cons or specific hints or pointers that will assist making a go of it. As my spouse is far from a sophisticated user, and seems to run into...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 updates same for updates every time it checks for updates
For the past day windows wants to install the same 4 updates over and over, I have windows update set to download and let me choose when to install. I can't understand why I even need them, as I uninstalled net framework. Notice how the update at 8:17 AM., KB2656368, is the same as one of...
Windows Updates & Activation
Simplifying Windows Live Mail
1. How can I get rid of the "Unread Email" part of WLM so my incoming mail will simply appear in my inbox? 2. How can I alter WLM so that I can load an email address with one click instead of the 3-click method that WLM imposes on its helpless victims? Thanks, Don.
Browsers & Mail
Simplifying Desktop Virtualization
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App