Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades

28 Jun 2016   #11
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Only one man for the job...

Better Call Saul!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jun 2016   #12
FerchogtX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Only one man for the job...

Better Call Saul!
Well... M$ could say that would be a "l-awful" time of the year if that happens XD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2016   #13
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

I'm in no way trying to defend what Microsoft has done. It was wrong. Period, end of story. However, some posters here talk about Microsoft as though you think they are some mom and pop operation that just wakes up one morning and decides they want to do something and does it with no forethought. There are a bunch of pretty smart people there who know exactly what they are doing. Like any very large business, nothing is done without a lot of conferences and meetings where every decision is cussed and discussed. They knew and expected everything that has happened was going to happen and factored that into their decision. That does not mean they didn't make a mistake, but it means they knew exactly what to expect and what they wanted to accomplish from it. No matter what the repercussions were. I also don't believe the court decision had anything to do with the decision to stop forcing the updates. $10,000 is chump change to Microsoft. They also do not make decisions that fast. Whatever their reason for doing it in the first place and whatever reason they had for stopping it, was planned well in advance. I think it was a very bad decision they made to begin with, but I also think nothing that has happened because of it was a surprise to them. They do nothing on a whim.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jun 2016   #14
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Only one man for the job...

Better Call Saul!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2016   #15
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I do agree Steve.
Microsoft looked at all the angles and dangles, all the good and bad and made a decision.
I think their decision was wrong but then again who am I.
Ten thousand dollars to Microsoft is nothing but the precedents could be costly.
No matter what the courts and lawyers do Microsoft has given up a lager portion of their customers faith that they have had for years.

I'm still hoping that when all is done we the customers end up with a W-10 that we want or need.
I still believe that all Microsoft has to do is fix W-10 and me and a billion plus other customers will just buy W-10 and learn how to use and enjoy W-10.
I don't believe that is asking to much.

A good example is the Apple I-phone.
It's not cheep. People line up around the block to get the first ones out because it is the phone they want and are willing to stand in line and pay to get it.
I'm not one who is going to wait in line for anything but I'm willing to pay for a product and or service that I want or need. If Microsoft makes it I will buy it if it meets my wants and or needs and I have the money.
It's a very old concept.
Make products your customer want and price it correctly and they will buy it. No need for trickery of any kind.

Layback Bear
Jack
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #16
Painter

W7Pro/64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
I'm in no way trying to defend what Microsoft has done. It was wrong. Period, end of story. However, some posters here talk about Microsoft as though you think they are some mom and pop operation that just wakes up one morning and decides they want to do something and does it with no forethought. There are a bunch of pretty smart people there who know exactly what they are doing. Like any very large business, nothing is done without a lot of conferences and meetings where every decision is cussed and discussed. They knew and expected everything that has happened was going to happen and factored that into their decision. That does not mean they didn't make a mistake, but it means they knew exactly what to expect and what they wanted to accomplish from it. No matter what the repercussions were. I also don't believe the court decision had anything to do with the decision to stop forcing the updates. $10,000 is chump change to Microsoft. They also do not make decisions that fast. Whatever their reason for doing it in the first place and whatever reason they had for stopping it, was planned well in advance. I think it was a very bad decision they made to begin with, but I also think nothing that has happened because of it was a surprise to them. They do nothing on a whim.
That is the reality of it. When a new product is to be promoted, it is Marketing that gets to set the strategy and tactics. It really does come down to a series of meetings and discussions, reviews, adjustments and then a final blueprint. For MS, they obviously had to keep in mind the company's new business strategy and figure out how not to repeat past mistakes. Once a blueprint has been accepted by management, marketing teams go to work on the details and a roll out plan is created. These plans have objectives (the short term stuff), like the free one year offer. Tactics change if they under or over estimate needs and wants, misread the market or miss the mark, but not the strategy - and this is what we have seen with MS.

What goes on behind the scenes is not chaotic. To MS, the disconnect with its aggressive behavior is just a speed bump. It slowed them down a bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #17
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Must of had a sympathetic judge or jury
Wonder how much was actual damage apposed to punitive.. ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #18
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Must of had a sympathetic judge or jury
Wonder how much was actual damage apposed to punitive.. ?
One of the things they asked for was a new computer which is BS. I think we all know that a bad upgrade won't damage hardware. And they said they never heard of Windows 10. That's kind of hard to believe. It's been all over the internet, on our local news a few times, plus all of the GWX pop ups? Give me a break. Just with all the pop ups, not ever hearing of it is pretty impossible. That doesn't make what Microsoft did right, but there are legitimate grounds to sue them on. Why make stuff up?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #19
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Me don't know

I keep reading people saying software can't hurt hardware but I don't know about that
Fast start in 10 did sleep a older hdd for me so I'd call an hdd hardware and an os feature effected the firmware so much so it was a lost cause to fix it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #20
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

I'll never believe it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrades are getting even more sneaky-pushy
Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrades are getting even more sneaky-pushy - CNET
News
Microsoft to deliver free upgrades to Windows 10
Hi, While surfing the net i have come unto this article, is this likely to be true. Microsoft to deliver free upgrades to Windows 10 - CNET
News
Microsoft earnings propelled by Windows 7, PC upgrades
Full story: Microsoft earnings propelled by Windows 7, PC upgrades | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com
News
Microsoft to ease Windows 7 upgrades to netbooks......
More at: Microsoft to ease Windows 7 upgrades to netbooks with USB key solution | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com
News
X58 Roundup: Seven $200-300 Core i7 Boards : Two Steps Forward, Three Steps Back
Two Steps Forward, Three Steps Back Because Core i7 was meant to target high-end buyers, LGA-1366 motherboards are designed to satisfy both enthusiast and workstation markets. Xeon is the way forward for the current socket, as a new interface...
Chillout Room
Microsoft steps up its Windows campaign with a 4-year-old
As expected, Microsoft debuted the next phase of its $300 million campaign at the Grammys yesterday. The ad is a very good one, not because it uses a 4-and-a-half year old little girl, but because it actually shows her using Windows and Windows Live to get a task done. Kylie takes a digital camera...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App