Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes

15 Oct 2016   #101
Swizz

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
2 - 3 minutes sounds way too fast. My Internet speed is fast and it doesn't finish that quickly. It takes more like 20 - 30 minutes. The client folder should be a lot bigger than that once completed.

You sure you selected the correct options? Selected x64 under the Windows 7 section?

Just running now and even after 20 minutes it's still going, and that's with verify updates unchecked. Which adds some time on to verify.

Edit: Okay, just finished, took 25 minutes and my client folder is 2.84GB and 1.33GB without the .NET and C++ updates. So yours might be right without all the extras. Still seems extremely fast though.
Yes it's definitely only a few minutes. I reloaded the client and downloaded the Updates again 3 other times..And it takes 4 to 5 minutes. I do have a 150MB connection if that is making the difference here?

As you can see that is the only box I have checked.

Do you know when you say the extras? What extras would they be? for it to be 1.33GB

Cheers Brds7t7.




Attached Thumbnails
More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes-2.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Oct 2016   #102
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Extras just meaning the C++ and .NET updates, that takes it up to nearly 3GB. So yours sounds about right.
It's a pity Windows Update doesn't download that quickly!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2016   #103
Swizz

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Extras just meaning the C++ and .NET updates, that takes it up to nearly 3GB. So yours sounds about right.
It's a pity Windows Update doesn't download that quickly!
Dude tell me about it lol..It takes anything between 2 to 3 hours. I have known it to be 4 hours.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Oct 2016   #104
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Yeah, I can fix the slow update scans easily enough since the July rollup came out. But as for downloading the updates... Well, let's just say it won't be getting in the Guinness Book of Records for speed!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2016   #105
Swizz

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Lol^

I don't mean to sound repetitive, I think it's called being cautious, but that one box that I did check, will that definitely give me the security Updates from the security Monthly Rollup Quality (KB3185330)

Does everything look a-okay to you for me to click on Start?

It's only just because this is the first time for me, using this client. Once I use it and get the hang of it..It'll be plain sailing.


Attached Images
More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes-2.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2016   #106
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
Lol^

I don't mean to sound repetitive, I think it's called being cautious, but that one box that I did check, will that definitely give me the security Updates from the security Monthly Rollup Quality (KB3185330)

Does everything look a-okay to you for me to click on Start?

It's only just because this is the first time for me, using this client. Once I use it and get the hang of it..It'll be plain sailing.
It should download all the updates up until today's date. Yeah looks fine, don't run the installer though unless that's a clean install. Just save the updates for when you need them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2016   #107
Swizz

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
Lol^

I don't mean to sound repetitive, I think it's called being cautious, but that one box that I did check, will that definitely give me the security Updates from the security Monthly Rollup Quality (KB3185330)

Does everything look a-okay to you for me to click on Start?

It's only just because this is the first time for me, using this client. Once I use it and get the hang of it..It'll be plain sailing.
It should download all the updates up until today's date. Yeah looks fine, don't run the installer though unless that's a clean install. Just save the updates for when you need them.

Thanks again for being informative. It's not going to be a clean install. (Would it still be okay to use?) The sole reason why I am using WSUS offline is because it is saving me a whole heap of time, in comparison to WU.

Prior talking to you I was a little confused because the security Monthly Rollup Quality (KB3185330) states (119.4MB) and the updates from WSUS shows as 1.13GB

EDIT - Out of interest is there another client out there that will hand me the Update that I am requiring? Which is the above, with nothing else added to it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2016   #108
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

If you want the Security Quality Rollup (which includes everything), then it's here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3185330 these will eventually be cumulative sometime in 2017.

If you want the Security-only update then that's from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192391 this won't be cumulative.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2016   #109
Swizz

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
If you want the Security Quality Rollup (which includes everything), then it's here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3185330 these will eventually be cumulative sometime in 2017.

If you want the Security-only update then that's from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192391 this won't be cumulative.
I have to dash out now..But I will look more into that site tomorrow. Thanks again for everything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2016   #110
BlueGuy

W7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 

One poster here said they were going to wait until the end of the month to run the October updates.
I just a few minutes ago took a 'stab in the dark', went ahead and let them install.
No problems, took around five minutes to complete, was concerned that the twit in Fenwick frelled my OS,
as it was a specialised vLiteô installation, off of a full retail purchase. Will report back if there are complications, if you don't hear from me all is OK. In the future though, after EOL, I hope some one will make an unofficial rollup package for W7, for off-line installation, like what was done for 2000 Pro {"SP5"} years back, my favourite M$ OS.
Because, along with those on the MSFN board, before going to 7, I spent years tweaking 2kP, there is even a guy who has it running with six cores and using PAE, 8GiB of ram. I just didn't feel like going that far.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 (KB3020369) & files
April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 (KB3020369) & files dates and versions Hi! Windows 7 Professional SP1 (x64). Checked - April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 (KB 3020369) is installed (listed), but ... when I check files pointed in KB article...
Windows Updates & Activation
Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1
Read more: Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1
News
Windows Servicing Packeges corrupted {HELP}
Hi, I've been having problems updating my computer to Net. Framework 4.5.2. I've been following various online tutorials which has led me to Clean all the versions of Net.Framework, I have successfully re-installed Net.Framework 1.1 and 1.1 Service Pack 1, however when I went to download...
Windows Updates & Activation
One Time Servicing?
Does anyone know if itís worth it to have Microsoft do a onetime servicing on my home PC / Windows 7? What about software that I can download or buy? Thanks, Scotty13
Drivers
windows component based servicing missing sub keys
Problem with my system. Cannot update windows at all, cannot run sfc, found the servicing to be missing in registry. Trying to install it in some way, also missing all the sub keys in the compononet tab. Help! Getting an error code 8007000d as well as a
Windows Updates & Activation
'Access Denied' when trying to add file to C:\Windows\servicing\
Hi everybody! For some reason the file 'TrustedInstaller.exe' went missing and kept causing errors when trying to install updates. Anyways, every time I try to paste that file into the windows servicing folder, it tells me access is denied and I don't have permission to this folder. I'd also...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App