Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes

12 Oct 2016   #71
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Borg 386 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rdl View Post
So, how to avoid telemetry, spyware and other so called "updates" ?
Once the updates become fully cumulative, you won't be able to, unless you go for the security only update option. Or unless MS does leave some updates separate. But according to their articles they want to incorporate all past patches.
Well, I'm curious as to if after the cumulative update the patches will be listed individually in the update history. If so, they could be researched & removed if needed
Good question. I think MS wants us all to be on the same patch level, so once the fully cumulative updates come into force, I don't think individual patches will be removable. I don't see how that would work.
My guess is any patches that were installed before the update change might still show up in the history but won't be removable.

If they're going by the Windows 10 cumulative update model, then they won't allow people to remove individual patches once cumulatives are installed (they'll be classed as one patch). I hope I'm wrong about this.

It also depends on what MS wants to incorporate into the cumulatives. If, as they say, it will incorporate every past patch.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Oct 2016   #72
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
I have kept all the update packs from Dr. Windows, up until the end of September for new installs.
How many of these are there and can you post a link to this "Dr. Windows", which I can't find with my browser? Do you have a list of KBs?

I rarely reinstall and may not have to for years, but I want the least painful way to get security only updates on into the future, which I assume would mean permanently saving whatever you got from "Dr. Windows", plus the monthly non-cumulative "security only quality update" package. Beginning with October and NOT available through Windows Update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2016   #73
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
I have kept all the update packs from Dr. Windows, up until the end of September for new installs.
How many of these are there and can you post a link to this "Dr. Windows", which I can't find with my browser? Do you have a list of KBs?

I rarely reinstall and may not have to for years, but I want the least painful way to get security only updates on into the future, which I assume would mean permanently saving whatever you got from "Dr. Windows", plus the monthly non-cumulative "security only" package.
Hi Ignatzatsonic,

Unfortunately I can't post links to that site. I was asked to remove it last time as the site is in German. The packs are in English though. There is one pack for 32-Bit and one for 64-Bit.
I've used the packs many times though for 7 and 8.1 and they work well. You can choose the patches you want to install/exclude when you run it. Or you can use the option to just extract the patches.
Just look up "Dr. Windows Update pack" and they should come up in Google.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Oct 2016   #74
Borg 386

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1, Win 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Good question. I think MS wants us all to be on the same patch level, so once the fully cumulative updates come into force, I don't think individual patches will be removable. I don't see how that would work.
My guess is any patches that were installed before the update change might still show up in the history but won't be removable.

If they're going by the Windows 10 cumulative update model, then they won't allow people to remove individual patches once cumulatives are installed (they'll be classed as one patch). I hope I'm wrong about this.

It also depends on what MS wants to incorporate into the cumulatives. If, as they say, it will incorporate every past patch.
I did go to the information page when the cumulative update appeared & individual KB's are listed, everything included in the cumulative. As of now it looked like only security updates were on this one. With the KB numbers listed, notes could be kept & then perhaps they could be removed via command line individually.

But yeah, they may set up something so that they can't be removed individually. Wouldn't surprise me

I've never tried or heard of anyone removing an individual patch from 10 that came bundled as a cumulative. Anyone ever try this by chance?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2016   #75
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post

Unfortunately I can't post links to that site. I was asked to remove it last time as the site is in German. The packs are in English though.
Ja wohl!

Found it and downloading.

Thanks Brds.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2016   #76
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post

Unfortunately I can't post links to that site. I was asked to remove it last time as the site is in German. The packs are in English though.
Ja wohl!

Found it and downloading.

Thanks Brds.
No problem

If you try them out in a VM, make sure you set Windows Update to "Never Check", stop the Windows Update service and set it to manual. Otherwise, the pack will stall at the first update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2016   #77
Borg 386

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1, Win 10
 
 

When I look for more info on the update listed as "Security monthly quality rollup," I see a summary of several items & clicking on the MS #'s takes you to the description as well as the KB #.

I've also read on a couple sites that the Windows Update Catalog may offer stand alone packages of individual patches.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2016   #78
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Borg 386 View Post
But yeah, they may set up something so that they can't be removed individually. Wouldn't surprise me :sarc
I have to be honest and say I'm not 100% sure how they work on 10. As I don't really use it, other than what I've tested in VM's. I wasn't impressed enough to upgrade though.

My understanding was the cumulatives were just one big patch that gets built on every month and not individuals. So, when you do a clean install you just install one patch and not individual patches?

Also, remember that these 7/8.1 patches have not yet become fully cumulative, that's going to be happening over the next few months and will take up until mid 2017.

It's going to be an interesting few months ahead anyway!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2016   #79
Borg 386

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1, Win 10
 
 

Alrighty, I just d/l ed the update (Security Monthly Rollup) and it appears in my update history as one update without individual KB's. it also shows up that way under programs/features.

However this makes me wonder if individual ones can still be yanked out via command line if you get the KB number 1st from the summary.

Yeah, interesting is not the word I would use, but I can't use that word here.....

I have 10 as well as 8.1 & 7 32 & 7.64, but I really don't use 10 much.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2016   #80
Swizz

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

A question concerning the Security Monthly Rollup, (199.4MB) as well. Lets just say one update fails to install for whatever reason, will the remaining continue to install?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 (KB3020369) & files
April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 (KB3020369) & files dates and versions Hi! Windows 7 Professional SP1 (x64). Checked - April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 (KB 3020369) is installed (listed), but ... when I check files pointed in KB article...
Windows Updates & Activation
Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1
Read more: Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1
News
Windows Servicing Packeges corrupted {HELP}
Hi, I've been having problems updating my computer to Net. Framework 4.5.2. I've been following various online tutorials which has led me to Clean all the versions of Net.Framework, I have successfully re-installed Net.Framework 1.1 and 1.1 Service Pack 1, however when I went to download...
Windows Updates & Activation
One Time Servicing?
Does anyone know if itís worth it to have Microsoft do a onetime servicing on my home PC / Windows 7? What about software that I can download or buy? Thanks, Scotty13
Drivers
windows component based servicing missing sub keys
Problem with my system. Cannot update windows at all, cannot run sfc, found the servicing to be missing in registry. Trying to install it in some way, also missing all the sub keys in the compononet tab. Help! Getting an error code 8007000d as well as a
Windows Updates & Activation
'Access Denied' when trying to add file to C:\Windows\servicing\
Hi everybody! For some reason the file 'TrustedInstaller.exe' went missing and kept causing errors when trying to install updates. Anyways, every time I try to paste that file into the windows servicing folder, it tells me access is denied and I don't have permission to this folder. I'd also...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:42.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App