Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Windows 7 problem 'could affect millions'


01 Dec 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Microsoft Windows 7 problem 'could affect millions'

Users have been complaining on internet forums about the "black screen of death", which causes the screen of their Windows 7 machine to turn black and the computer to crash when a user logs on.

Microsoft confirmed that it was investigating the possibility that a security update, released on Thursday, could be the root of the problem.

Microsoft Windows 7 problem 'could affect millions' - Telegraph

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Dec 2009   #2

 

Scaremongering press again, I'm sure if this was a problem we would have had lots of post about it by now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #3

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Retail
 
 

Excatly! Still can't find userposts in forums/internets regarding this problem.

Only Prevx seems to know about tons of these cases..........Risky marketing-strategics!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Dec 2009   #4

 

i only just heard of the problem a while ago. it could affect a few people XD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

I read about this earlier. Looking at the update history for my system, there were only 2 updates on the 11th November (not counting MSE).

My system is still running fine and I'd not even heard of this until today.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
Scaremongering press again...

Indeed. Please refer to the following article for the particular grain of truth they are twisting at the moment:

Windows Black Screen of Death: What You Need to Know - PC World


Quote:
It stems from Microsoft security updates


After the latest Microsoft patch was delivered on Tuesday, November 10, 2009, users began reporting a crippling black screen. The Black Screen of Death causes your PC to seize up and removes everything except, in some cases, a single open My Computer window. So what happened?


Microsoft apparently made changes to the Access Control List (ACL), a list of permissions for a logged-on user. The ACL interacts with registry keys, creating visible desktop features such as a sidebar. However, the latest patches appear to make some changes to those registry keys. The effect is that some installed applications aren't aware of the changes and don't run properly.


It's not Windows 7-specific

Windows 7 haters: step back. The Black Screen of Death isn't relegated to Microsoft's latest OS. Security firm Previx states that the Black Screen of Death can affect Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 without prejudice. So if you're considering uninstalling Windows 7, fearful that it is the source of the problem, don't bother. You won't dodge any bullet.

If you are affected, the UK Security firm Prevx posted some instructions which are supposed to help/solve the issue:

Black Screen woes could affect millions on Windows 7, Vista and XP


For the more advanced, there's also a way to modify the registry settings to fix the issue: Latest Windows security patches trigger black screen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Mac OS X 10.6
 
 

Right. No users of this forum has reported this kind of specific problem even in the beta version. Its a scam. I dont buy these news...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Isn't it only being tied to one [obscure] 3rd party program right now? Not very widespread at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Yeah, it COULD effect millions or it "COULD NOT". Guess in this case, it's about 3% chance of could and 97% could not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Windows 7 problem 'could affect millions'




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Microsoft Windows 7 problem 'could affect millions'
Thread Forum
Does Microsoft multipoint affect normal Win7? Software
Going viral: Millions watch Microsoft Surface crash during debut Chillout Room
Avira Antivirus update cripples millions of Windows PCs Security News
Does IE9 affect Windows Mail? Browsers & Mail
Will It affect windows If I uninstall any of these? General Discussion
How does reinstalling windows affect other partitions? Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33