The amazing memristor - beyond Moore's law and beyond digital computing
Hewlett-Packard's researchers see an amazing future for the memristor - a very real, near mythical electronic component...
I recently visited HP Labs and spoke with Stan Williams, senior fellow at Hewlett-Packard and director of Quantum Science Research, about an incredible semiconductor device — the memristor.
Until fairly recently, the memristor, short for memory resistor, was a mythical electronic component. It had been predicted to exist by a mathematician, Leon Chua, a professor at UC Berkeley, in an 1971 paper. No one had made a memristor until Stan Williams and his team cracked it in 2008.
The memristor can:
- store data like DRAM or Flash but it doesn’t require any energy to maintain the data storage.
- the memristor chips can be laid down in layer upon layer upon layer, creating three-dimensional structures that can store and process data.
- the memristor is easy to make and completely compatible with today’s CMOS chip making processes.
- it can be scaled to very small geometries without losing its properties.
- the memristor can also perform logic, it can act as a microprocessor!
It’s that quality of a memristor, that it can be used for both data storage and data processing that Mr WIlliams and his team recently discovered, and that potentially turns the world of computing on its head. This is a very big deal indeed.
Computer type PC/Desktop System Manufacturer/Model Number Built by me OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 CPU Intel Core i7-950 (3.06GHz) OC to 3.8GHz Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 rev 1, F6 Bios Memory 12 gig Corsair DDR3 Dominator GT Memory (3X 4GB) Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD6950 2gig (Sapphire) Sound Card X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro Monitor(s) Displays HP ZR22w 22" LCD Monitor Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Wave Mouse Logitech Performance MX PSU Antec Signature - SG-850 Case Cooler Master HAF X Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 Hard Drives Primary - OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (256GB). Storage - OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (120GB) & 2TB WD Caviar Black. Internet Speed High Speed Cable Other Info Memory Timings - 1600MHz @ 8-8-8-20-1T @ 1.640 volts