Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: The PC Is Dead, Long Live the PC


13 Jun 2010   #1
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 
The PC Is Dead, Long Live the PC

Quote:
Forecasts of the evolution of PC shipments estimate that approximately 380 million units will be sold by the end of 2010, some 70 million more compared to 2009. The vast majority of these units will ship with Microsoft’s Windows operating system, which prompted the not so unrealistic prediction that Windows 7 would hit the 300 million sold licenses mark by the end of the year. And yet, although more than 1 million PCs are being sold each day, the perspective that the post-PC era is nigh emerged earlier this month.

“The transformation of PC to new form factors like the tablet is going to make some people uneasy because the PC has taken us a long way,” noted Apple CEO Steve Jobs at the D8 conference, comparing PCs with trucks for an agrarian world. “The PC is brilliant […] and we like to talk about the post-PC era, but it’s uncomfortable.”

Time will tell whether Jobs was a true visionary when he predicted that the post-PC era was nigh, or whether he was just putting a marketing spin on the PC vs. tablets perspective. Of course, when professing the imminent death of the PC as we know it, Jobs is also telling Apple customers that Macs are a thing of the past. Running Intel processors and NVIDIA GPUs, Mac machines are just as PC as any computer with Windows preinstalled from an OEM.

Source -
The PC Is Dead, Long Live the PC - All device roads lead to the PC - Softpedia

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jun 2010   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote:
Running Intel processors and NVIDIA GPUs, Mac machines are just as PC as any computer with Windows preinstalled from an OEM.
Haha, yeah, but about $1000 more expensive.

Great article JMH. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

The death of the PC has been greatly exaggerated.

-Max Peck 6/13/10 ;-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Jun 2010   #4

windows 7 home 64-bit
 
 

I built my own desktop computer. so does that count in pc shipments?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Quote:
Forecasts of the evolution of PC shipments estimate that approximately 380 million units will be sold by the end of 2010, some 70 million more compared to 2009. The vast majority of these units will ship with Microsoft’s Windows operating system, which prompted the not so unrealistic prediction that Windows 7 would hit the 300 million sold licenses mark by the end of the year. And yet, although more than 1 million PCs are being sold each day, the perspective that the post-PC era is nigh emerged earlier this month.

“The transformation of PC to new form factors like the tablet is going to make some people uneasy because the PC has taken us a long way,” noted Apple CEO Steve Jobs at the D8 conference, comparing PCs with trucks for an agrarian world. “The PC is brilliant […] and we like to talk about the post-PC era, but it’s uncomfortable.”

Time will tell whether Jobs was a true visionary when he predicted that the post-PC era was nigh, or whether he was just putting a marketing spin on the PC vs. tablets perspective. Of course, when professing the imminent death of the PC as we know it, Jobs is also telling Apple customers that Macs are a thing of the past. Running Intel processors and NVIDIA GPUs, Mac machines are just as PC as any computer with Windows preinstalled from an OEM.

Source -
The PC Is Dead, Long Live the PC - All device roads lead to the PC - Softpedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I built my own desktop computer. so does that count in pc shipments?
Probably. Judging from the way most marketing-related numbers are spun they probably count every component shipped as a PC! Kinda like the administration counts every census worker who gets hired, laid off and rehired. The count that as 2 jobs in the labor reports!

-Max
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2010   #6

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Ive been reading that the PC is dead for the past 10 years. Its not dead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2010   #7

Windows 7
 
 

jobs is a deluded fool who sits atop his sterile white throne.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2010   #8

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blackroseMD1 View Post
Quote:
Running Intel processors and NVIDIA GPUs, Mac machines are just as PC as any computer with Windows preinstalled from an OEM.
Haha, yeah, but about $1000 more expensive.

Great article JMH. Thanks.
My thoughts exactly!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2010   #9

Vista Business x64
 
 

Ballmer comments sounded a lot more true then jobs in my opinion, and even though i also love my EVO. No ipad or tablet is gonna replace a desktop or even laptop for that matter anytime soon, the power is just not there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2010   #10

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bootz View Post
Ballmer comments sounded a lot more true then jobs in my opinion, and even though i also love my EVO. No ipad or tablet is gonna replace a desktop or even laptop for that matter anytime soon, the power is just not there.
I don't mind the idea of a touch screen for certain things, but I want there to still be a proper physical keyboard there too. So the tablet thing is nothing I plan on buying.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 The PC Is Dead, Long Live the PC




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33