Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why are 74% of business computers still running XP

13 Jul 2010   #1

Dual-boot: Windows 7 HP 32-bit SP1 & Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP2.
 
 
Why are 74% of business computers still running XP

We reported yesterday that Microsoft had extended downgrade rights for Windows XP from Windows 7, but the reason seems to stem from the fact that a reported 74% of work PCs are still running Windows XP.

This seems odd given that it was also recently reported that 50% of business either have or are ready to upgrade to Windows 7. So what’s the anomaly and what’s causing the problem?

More info here: Why are 74% of business computers still running XP? | Windows 7 News


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jul 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Upgrade costs and legacy software/hardware would be my guess. If the machine is working correctly why would any business upgrade it. Support from Microsoft....not likely. Companies do NOT upgrade like home users, there MUST be a ROI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #3

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

there is still a small issue of software compatability.

a small company that i help recently had major trojan problem with their ancient xp machine. they went out and bought a new machine that came with 7 home premium, and asked me to set it up and transfer data and software from one machine to the other.

unfortunately they used a very old version of quickbooks accounting software, and did not want to be forced to upgrade to the much more expensive modern version, when they were familiar and comfortable with their old package that met their needs perfectly.

no matter what i tried, the old quickbooks just wasn't playing ball with 7 even after many calls to the intuit technical support team.

answer to the problem? a dual-boot system so they could use xp and quickbooks for work, and 7 for other stuff.

basically a lot of companies don't want to spend money unneccessarily - my clients were already out of pocket buying a new pc, and did not want to spend a lot more on software too!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Jul 2010   #4

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Money...

With an economy in the tank, sometimes you are lucky to to even meet your rent and payroll.

Try to convince a small business that is just getting by that they shoud upgrade their computers. If it's working and you can run Excel, and a few business related programs, what is the need?

My business is hospitality, and not really relied on computers. I use my computer at home to do what I need to do. I use Windows 7, but that's because I'm a PC enthusiast in my off time.

Small business simply does not have the money sometimes to upgrade unnecessary
components that are still working. The only way they would is if the computers totally died, and the new replacements came with Windows 7.

I love Windows 7, but sometimes there are more reasons for people not upgrading than simply by choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #5

Win 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

There may be several reasons.
- Their XP is still running smoothly.
- They do not want to spend money on a new software.
- They do not want to lose time (and installing a new OS does make you lose time)
- They do not like having to learn something new (productivity tends to drop for a few days until people get used to the new system and have customized it to their needs)
- They are not sure whether their old software and hardware will be compatible with Win 7
- After the catastrophic reports on Vista they may just be plain afraid

If my old XP hadn't started to show funny errors I wouldn't have switched either. But now I'm enjoying 64bit performance I'm glad I did.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #6

Windows XP-Pro-SP3, Windows 7
 
 

I'm in "the business" of setting up and repairing home computers.
(NO business systems)
To a man (or woman) not one of my customers likes Windows 7.
Simple things they could do with XP are almost impossible to do with 7.
Like increase the point size of the desktop icon text by a point or two, or quickly change wallpaper. Even "RUN" isn't available till W-7 had been customized. A new W-7 user could never figure out how to do things like that.

It takes me an hour or more to just get 7 tweaked and customized to work and look anything close to like XP. People who have used Outlook Express for years are really frustrated to find that O.E. is GONE! After a lot of tweaking and tuning, Windows Live Mail can be made to work.....sort of, but it's not the same friendly program that O.E. was.

In a business environment, it would be even worse, trying to get a Win-7 PC to run old reliable software that the user was familiar with.

On my own Main system, I'm still running XP-Pro-SP3 32bit, even though I have a 64 bit, dual core, CPU.

Something never mentioned.... Windows XP will run like a scalded dog on a FAT-32 formatted Hard Drive. It gives the user or IT specialist access to every file on the HD from a DOS boot disk. I use that trick to delete all the garbage off of my HD before I do my weekly HD backup. There's no use backing up junk.
Then I run my Ghost backup program from the same DOS boot disk.

Just some personal observations.......

My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #7

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

XP SP2/SP3 is still a solid, stable OS. For businesses that do not require the latest and [usually] greatest, they are content with it. If they don't need to, they won't spend the tons of $$ for the new stuff.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #8

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Love Windows 7 View Post
We reported yesterday that Microsoft had extended downgrade rights for Windows XP from Windows 7, but the reason seems to stem from the fact that a reported 74% of work PCs are still running Windows XP.

This seems odd given that it was also recently reported that 50% of business either have or are ready to upgrade to Windows 7. So what’s the anomaly and what’s causing the problem?

More info here: Why are 74% of business computers still running XP? | Windows 7 News
Like others have said, the main reason is simply money. The company I work for is planning on upgrading, but the biggest hold up is hardware. The average desktop is an all-in-one purchased from a company that is no longer in business (MPC - the old Micron PC). These systems are 2.8 Ghz Pentium D with 1 GB RAM. The average laptop is a Core2 T7200 (2 Ghz) with 1 GB RAM. That's the average configuration, with plenty of 512 MB RAM systems in the mix.

We're lucky, in that we don't seem to have any software issues that are holding us up. Also, this upgrade is happening in tandem with a move from Novell to MS servers and Groupwise to Exchange mail. The planned upgrade date is by Oct. 1, but I'm pretty sure that will be extended to 2011.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #9

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
I'm in "the business" of setting up and repairing home computers.
(NO business systems)
To a man (or woman) not one of my customers likes Windows 7.
Simple things they could do with XP are almost impossible to do with 7.
Like increase the point size of the desktop icon text by a point or two, or quickly change wallpaper. Even "RUN" isn't available till W-7 had been customized. A new W-7 user could never figure out how to do things like that.
You do realize that the search box in the start menu acts just like Run, don't you? Only it's faster as you don't have to type in the whole program name for most common tasks.

In order to quickly resize the desktop text, just hold the CTRL and move the scroll wheel. Quite a bit faster than XP.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
It takes me an hour or more to just get 7 tweaked and customized to work and look anything close to like XP. People who have used Outlook Express for years are really frustrated to find that O.E. is GONE! After a lot of tweaking and tuning, Windows Live Mail can be made to work.....sort of, but it's not the same friendly program that O.E. was.
OE was a security nightmare. There's a reason it got scrapped. Windows mail in Vista was basically OE, Live mail is somewhat different in GUI, but not so different in functionality.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
In a business environment, it would be even worse, trying to get a Win-7 PC to run old reliable software that the user was familiar with.
Win 7 runs the vast majority of old software. I have one piece of software that does not function completely in Win 7 x64 (it does in Win 7 x32) because the lazy programmers used a non-standard call for printing (a 16-bit sub-system). However, XP-mode runs it just fine. As a business system would be professional or better, XP mode is free.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
On my own Main system, I'm still running XP-Pro-SP3 32bit, even though I have a 64 bit, dual core, CPU.
Why? Do you have software that doesn't work? Did you already own XP, or did you purposely buy XP over 7? These make a difference. If you built a new system today and had to add an OS, would you seriously pick XP over 7?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
Something never mentioned.... Windows XP will run like a scalded dog on a FAT-32 formatted Hard Drive. It gives the user or IT specialist access to every file on the HD from a DOS boot disk. I use that trick to delete all the garbage off of my HD before I do my weekly HD backup. There's no use backing up junk.
Then I run my Ghost backup program from the same DOS boot disk.
FAT32 is an outdated, antiquated file system that has no modern data retention capabilities. It has file size limitations, poor attribute handling and partition size limitations. How exactly do you store that 5GB ISO file on your FAT partition? Take a partially full 2 TB drive and run the "Dir" command on it. It takes forever, due to the FAT arrangement.

PhreePhly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Love Windows 7 View Post
We reported yesterday that Microsoft had extended downgrade rights for Windows XP from Windows 7, but the reason seems to stem from the fact that a reported 74% of work PCs are still running Windows XP.

This seems odd given that it was also recently reported that 50% of business either have or are ready to upgrade to Windows 7. So what’s the anomaly and what’s causing the problem?

More info here: Why are 74% of business computers still running XP? | Windows 7 News
Applications. There are a lot of businesses still using Windows XP because of application compatibility. It's what happens with poor programming.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why are 74% of business computers still running XP




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33