These are shots of the case after I worked on it. I worked on top of my washing machine because it's much easier on my old back.
Not much change here. I got an el cheapo DVD drive (on sale, of course) to help with making the PSU cables. I'll use the drive to install Win 7, then replace with a BD drive once the rig is up and running.
This is the back side (duh). In the past, I used a product called Sand Ban to degrease and degloss paint before painting. I couldn't find it so I used another product that made the same claims. The *&^%$#@!s lied . The paint chips pretty easily in places but, since little of it shows (and it's been too cold to repaint), I'll just touch up the chips when they happen with a felt pen.
Here is what the case looks like with the right side panel removed. I added a large grommet to cover the big hole by the PSU, cut holes for the four smaller grommets near the bottom, and used two of the smaller grommets and a filler to cover the slot near the top. The front panel wiring runs inside the large, flat sleeve running down the middle. I haven't pulled some of the cables out and through the grommets yet but there is enough slack to do so once the MOBO in place. You can see a glimpse of the sound deadening foam added to the side panels (it's also on the top and back).
The next two shots show how the two large PSU cables (one home-brewed) are anchored in the so called cable management area (Antec's term).
This shot shows both the sound deadening foam on the left side panel and the fan there. there are four fans altogether: two in front blowing air in over the HDDs, one on the left panel pulling air in through a filter, and one exhaust fan on the back (I used a filter housing to block the blowhole; I can always add a fan there later if I should ever need it). The fans are ThermalTake AF0018s with an attached speed control pot. Besides having their own speed controllers, these fans are quieter than the two 2 speed Antec fans that came with the case.
Part Three coming up shortly.