Actually it might not cost that much. I've sort have gotten emotionally attached to the really small case, the one without the graphics card or the RAID 10 drives. Since it doesn't have discrete graphics, there's no point in making this an super expensive high end system. I do intend to use haswell, however this should be a close approximation of what the system will be (assuming the Phanteks heat sink works with haswell's LGA1150 socket): Slim slot-loading Bluray drive
- $150 or so (preferably, but I may settle) Intel i5 with top of the line graphics
- $250 2TB SATA drive
- $120 Midrange motherboard
- $100 160w (200w peak) picoPSU
- $50 (required) 180GB SSD with ~500MB/s read/write
- $150 Phanteks PH-TC90LS 45MM tall heatsink and fan
- $27 (required) Samsung 2x4GB DDR3 low profile ram
That's just under $900, minus shipping and case; and I could price around (or settle on cheaper parts) to bring the price down maybe $200 more.
If I go through Ponoko it should cost about $60 for the case, so I should be able to do this entire project under $1000, and maybe even with shipping.
Just checked, and total cost with shipping and taxes for these components will be about $950, including the custom case. I would need to add $50-100 or so for all of the little components needed (cables, switches, screws, standoffs, and front ports), but so far the price isn't so bad. It shouldn't be to hard to budget for this eventually.