Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I7 overclock help


14 Feb 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
I7 overclock help

hi i have just overclocked to 4GHz with 1.35625 volts question is whether it is too large for a D0 or is it normal? i have even tried 1.3875 and without bsod.Qpi: one is now at 2.8 ghz you should increase or decrease the QPI: one for better stability? Have max temp 75 degrees sounds like a lot? I tried over 4GHZ but then it comes bsod. Thanking for the reply







My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Feb 2011   #2

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alle22 View Post
hi i have just overclocked to 4GHz with 1.35625 volts question is whether it is too large for a D0 or is it normal?
It depends on the individual chip. Some only need vcore in the 1.1-1.2v range to hit 4.0ghz. Others, like yours (and mine BTW) need a higher voltage to hit the same clocks.

So no, it's not too large for a D0 and yes it's pretty normal.


Quote:
should increase or decrease the QPI: one for better stability?
Increase.

Blue screens when overclocking are often the result of incorrect RAM settings as much as they are voltage related.




Quote:
Have max temp 75 degrees sounds like a lot?

Not when stress testing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2011   #3

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

First off if you're going to try to overclock to 4gig you need to get off the "Auto" everything and start "manually" setting voltage values. That's what "true" overclocking is. Since you're going for 4gig you are "truely" overclocking the processor!!! Here's a few tips.....

- DRAM voltage should not be set to "Auto" it should be manually set to 1.640.
- 1.3875 is too high a voltage for the chip
- QPI/Vtt needs to be manually set to at least 1.2500, most will say 1.315

There are other things you can do as well but those are starting points. Also do you know what BIOS you have? The screens you show look a little dated. If you look at my system specs you'd see I have a Gigabyte board as well, though different model.

I get the feeling you don't have a full grasp of overclocking - I say that due to the fact that you have a few voltage setting that should be manually set as opposed to being left on Auto.

With that may I suggest a some reading..... 3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 – Updated! | Overclockers

I would also suggest you visit TweakTown's GIGABYTE forum - They have excellent advice on overclocking with "Gigabyte" boards

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Feb 2011   #4

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
 
 

If his memory is speced @ 1.5V at 1066 MHz then he should not set it to 1.640V - there is no reason to increase that. The screen indicates it is being set to a SPD profile, which is OK.

The QPI doesn't need to be as high as 1.25. It may be stable at less - that takes some experimentation, as does the CPU voltage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2011   #5

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Since overclocking is NOT an exact science our opinions may vary, however I do provide valid evidence to what I suggest in the links I post, and personal experience with a Gigabyte motherboard having a 1366 chipset using a core i7-900 series Bloomfield processor (i7-950 in my case). The OP has a similiar system to mine. Also I note you have an i5 system so your requirements are different from ours.

BTW I'm only overclocked to 3.5gig and I have to run my QPI to 1.25 just to be prime95 satable. On and I think I said the QPI needs to be somewhere between 1.250 & 1.315

Anyway I say again.... If he's going to clock that high (4gig) those voltages need to be manually set and since he's pushing the limits of the processor those volatage need to be that high.

Yes there's always exceptions to the rule, and we should always try lower volts first for temps sake, but if you start getting BSOD blah blah blah 124 codes - your QPI is too low (reading and personal experience).

Also look at any overlocked i7-900 series chip pushing 4gig and you'll see QPI volts around 1.3.

As for his memory I'll conceed his memory Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 6GB CL9 only recommends 1.5volts - XMS3 whereas my Corsair memory (TR3X3G1600C8D) - Dominator® recommends 1.65volts! So yeah, his isn't required to be run as high as mine.

However he still needs to get off the auto voltage everything if he's going near 4gig!!!

My two cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
However he still needs to get off the auto voltage everything if he's going near 4gig!!!
This.
Hell, I had to pump 1.55 volts through my i5-2500k to hit 5Ghz, but took it back down to 4.5Ghz.
After some playing, I got the system stable at 4.5Ghz with 1.36volts whereas the auto voltage hat it up at 1.45V!

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2011   #7

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Since overclocking is NOT an exact science our opinions may vary, however I do provide valid evidence to what I suggest in the links I post, and personal experience with a Gigabyte motherboard having a 1366 chipset using a core i7-900 series Bloomfield processor (i7-950 in my case). The OP has a similiar system to mine. Also I note you have an i5 system so your requirements are different from ours.

BTW I'm only overclocked to 3.5gig and I have to run my QPI to 1.25 just to be prime95 satable. On and I think I said the QPI needs to be somewhere between 1.250 & 1.315

Anyway I say again.... If he's going to clock that high (4gig) those voltages need to be manually set and since he's pushing the limits of the processor those volatage need to be that high.

Yes there's always exceptions to the rule, and we should always try lower volts first for temps sake, but if you start getting BSOD blah blah blah 124 codes - your QPI is too low (reading and personal experience).

Also look at any overlocked i7-900 series chip pushing 4gig and you'll see QPI volts around 1.3.

As for his memory I'll conceed his memory Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 6GB CL9 only recommends 1.5volts - XMS3 whereas my Corsair memory (TR3X3G1600C8D) - Dominator® recommends 1.65volts! So yeah, his isn't required to be run as high as mine.

However he still needs to get off the auto voltage everything if he's going near 4gig!!!

My two cents.
The memory voltage requirements are *not* different. There is n reason to increase it as you suggested since the memory isn't being overclocked. The MB is setting the memory voltage to that in the SPD, which comes directly from the memory and hence the manufacturer.

Yes, auto on everything isn't the way at that clock. And processor amongst the same model vary quite a bit. For my i5, I didn't have to change my qpi/vtt until I get past 3.94 GHz, and even then very little. My point is there is a knee there, and isn't best just to set everything high, then work down, but rather to pick a reasonable overclock, tune it, then slowly work up, adjusting one thing at a time, depending on the failure mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Since overclocking is NOT an exact science our opinions may vary, however I do provide valid evidence to what I suggest in the links I post, and personal experience with a Gigabyte motherboard having a 1366 chipset using a core i7-900 series Bloomfield processor (i7-950 in my case). The OP has a similiar system to mine. Also I note you have an i5 system so your requirements are different from ours.

BTW I'm only overclocked to 3.5gig and I have to run my QPI to 1.25 just to be prime95 satable. On and I think I said the QPI needs to be somewhere between 1.250 & 1.315

Anyway I say again.... If he's going to clock that high (4gig) those voltages need to be manually set and since he's pushing the limits of the processor those volatage need to be that high.

Yes there's always exceptions to the rule, and we should always try lower volts first for temps sake, but if you start getting BSOD blah blah blah 124 codes - your QPI is too low (reading and personal experience).

Also look at any overlocked i7-900 series chip pushing 4gig and you'll see QPI volts around 1.3.

As for his memory I'll conceed his memory Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 6GB CL9 only recommends 1.5volts - XMS3 whereas my Corsair memory (TR3X3G1600C8D) - Dominator® recommends 1.65volts! So yeah, his isn't required to be run as high as mine.

However he still needs to get off the auto voltage everything if he's going near 4gig!!!

My two cents.
The memory voltage requirements are *not* different. There is n reason to increase it as you suggested since the memory isn't being overclocked. The MB is setting the memory voltage to that in the SPD, which comes directly from the memory and hence the manufacturer.

Yes, auto on everything isn't the way at that clock. And processor amongst the same model vary quite a bit. For my i5, I didn't have to change my qpi/vtt until I get past 3.94 GHz, and even then very little. My point is there is a knee there, and isn't best just to set everything high, then work down, but rather to pick a reasonable overclock, tune it, then slowly work up, adjusting one thing at a time, depending on the failure mode.
Both of these are valid ways to overclock...

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2011   #9

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
The memory voltage requirements are *not* different. There is n reason to increase it as you suggested since the memory isn't being overclocked.
Actually there IS a reason to pump the memory voltages if

1- the memory manufacturer requires it - mine does.
2- you run it past it's rated speed - depends on your overclock.

Corsair guarantees that my memory will run at a rated guaranteed speed of 1600MHz for normal usage with 1.65volts, not 1.5volts!

Now.... does my memory have to be run at 1.65volts..... no..... it can be run at 1.5 volts..... but that it won't run at 1600MHZ!!!! Which is what my memory's rated speed is

Bottom line some performance memory does have higher voltage requirements. Look at the specs on them. I didn't just make this up.

Does the OP have performance memory....no. Did I conceed this fact... yes.

And I'll say again, an i5 system is diffrent from an i7-900 series system - triple channel vs dual channel memory for one.

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2011   #10

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
The memory voltage requirements are *not* different. There is n reason to increase it as you suggested since the memory isn't being overclocked.
Actually there IS a reason to pump the memory voltages if

1- the memory manufacturer requires it - mine does.
2- you run it past it's rated speed - depends on your overclock.

Corsair guarantees that my memory will run at a rated guaranteed speed of 1600MHz for normal usage with 1.65volts, not 1.5volts!

Now.... does my memory have to be run at 1.65volts..... no..... it can be run at 1.5 volts..... but that it won't run at 1600MHZ!!!! Which is what my memory's rated speed is

Bottom line some performance memory does have higher voltage requirements. Look at the specs on them. I didn't just make this up.

Does the OP have performance memory....no. Did I conceed this fact... yes.

And I'll say again, an i5 system is diffrent from an i7-900 series system - triple channel vs dual channel memory for one.

Thanks.
I am sorry if I repeated about the memory. but wasn't talking about your memory and I didn't say there aren't situations where you would want to increase the memory voltage. I specifically said there was no reason for the OP to increase his memory voltage as suggested since it was running at its rated voltage based on the memory's SPD information.

Sure i5 is different than i7, but from what I have seen that is a pretty high qpi for that voltage, Not that I have much experience doing this, but the approach that works for me has been to go as high as I stably can only increasing Vcore, then incremental clock steps upward beyond that. That way you can get a better handle of what voltage you need to increase (based on the type of BSOD for instance). If you start out with all high, then it becomes more tedious lowering thE voltages to just what you nee as there are more than one interdependent voltages to vary.

cHEERS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I7 overclock help




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: I7 overclock help
Thread Forum
GTS 450 overclock PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Cant seem to get an overclock PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Help me overclock!! PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
No overclock PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
OverClock PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
overclock PC Custom Builds and Overclocking

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33