Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Overclocking a laptop?


18 May 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
 
 
Overclocking a laptop?

Hello, 7F.
I would like to overclock my Acer Extensa 5235 for it to perform better.
I know you are not supposed to overclock laptops but I want to try it out.
What would I have to do? Do I need 3rd party software?

Thanks,
Ryan7z.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 May 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stylah View Post
I would like to overclock my Acer Extensa 5235 for it to perform better.
Not worth it. The performance benefit will be very low, and you run the risk of melting your components.

If you REALLY want to do it, you overclock through the BIOS, assuming that Acer didn't lock it.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

It's highly unlikely that the BIOS will be unlocked and provide you with any mechanisms to overclock it. I would not do it with a laptop, even if I could..since you cannot really add additional heat sinks, cooling fans, etc. Just not worth the risk.

If you want to improve the performance replace the 2.5" hard drive with an SSD. That will be your best performance increase.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 May 2011   #4

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
It's highly unlikely that the BIOS will be unlocked and provide you with any mechanisms to overclock it. I would not do it with a laptop, even if I could..since you cannot really add additional heat sinks, cooling fans, etc. Just not worth the risk.

If you want to improve the performance replace the 2.5" hard drive with an SSD. That will be your best performance increase.
+1, and add some ram too!

ram is cheap.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
 
 

Thanks guys, I'll just add parts then I guess.
Do you think I could change the processor to something better?
Maybe just try and revamp the whole thing?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stylah View Post
Thanks guys, I'll just add parts then I guess.
Do you think I could change the processor to something better?
Maybe just try and revamp the whole thing?
Not with a laptop unfortunately.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
 
 

That sucks.
I really need a Saturday job to get some moneyz.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stylah View Post
That sucks.
I really need a Saturday job to get some moneyz.
I know the feeling.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #9

Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Laptops aren't meant for upgrading or overclocking, get a desktop for that.

You might set your laptop on fire if you try.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Skulblaka View Post
Laptops aren't meant for upgrading or overclocking, get a desktop for that.

You might set your laptop on fire if you try.
I am currently envisioning your avatar kissing the viking of disapproval.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Overclocking a laptop?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Overclocking a laptop?
Thread Forum
New To Overclocking help! PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
OverClocking AMD A8-3520M APU 1.6GHz - Lenovo Ideapad Z575 Laptop PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Overclocking GMA PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Overclocking AMD CPU PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
i5 750 overclocking PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
How To: Overclocking Your AMD Processor : Introduction: The Basics Of Overclocking Performance & Maintenance
Overclocking help Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33