Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: i7 920 C0 Overclock 3.6ghz-3.8ghz help


19 Jul 2011   #1

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
i7 920 C0 Overclock 3.6ghz-3.8ghz help

Hi guys I have been running my cpu at 3.8ghz for some time now, as of late i have noticed it is not entirely stable, if i run it to hard for too long i get a BSOD with the error "clock innterrupt not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval".
i7 920 C0 Overclock 3.6ghz-3.8ghz help-bsod1.jpg (it never actually finishes the "crash dump")
I am aiming for around a 3.6 to 3.8 overclock, which seeing as i have an earler revision C0 chip is probably all i can get. I have a Trition 81 cooler which at the time i got the system was almost the only one available, it seems to work alright but the cpu does get a bit hot, hence the reason for a less aggressive target.
Current timing's below:
Cpu ratio: 20.0
Base clock: 190
PCIE freqency: 100
Cpu Voltage 1.35
Cpu Pll Voltage:1.88
Qpi/Dram Core voltage:1.35
Dram Bus voltage 1.64
Speedstep : disabled

Everything else on auto see images
i7 920 C0 Overclock 3.6ghz-3.8ghz help-bios1.jpg
i7 920 C0 Overclock 3.6ghz-3.8ghz help-bios2.jpg
i7 920 C0 Overclock 3.6ghz-3.8ghz help-bios3.jpg

I would rather it be stable and cool than a high overclock

Any help would be great,




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jul 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

One thing you can do right off the bat is set the memory timings, command rate (if an option), and the voltage manually.

Another thing is, and I'm presuming here, you can just crank up the multiplier and bus speeds and expect instant stability. You have to do it in incremental steps. Overclocking is a time consuming process and you're going to be doing this for hours (and i do mean hours). If you did work your way to where you're aiming now, what was the last stable frequency/voltage? In any case, 1.35v is a little low for 3.6 or 3.8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post
One thing you can do right off the bat is set the memory timings, command rate (if an option), and the voltage manually.

Another thing is, and I'm presuming here, you can just crank up the multiplier and bus speeds and expect instant stability. You have to do it in incremental steps. Overclocking is a time consuming process and you're going to be doing this for hours (and i do mean hours). If you did work your way to where you're aiming now, what was the last stable frequency/voltage? In any case, 1.35v is a little low for 3.6 or 3.8.
Not to sure how to set the memory timings which is why i never did it, i am running triple channel memory which i believe complicates things, as well as different brands/modules.
The last it was truly stable, which was quite a while ago 8 months + was at 3.3ghz, almost everything was at auto except the base clock and the cpu voltage, i think the cpu voltage was around 1.3 and the base clock around 170
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jul 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Why are you running three different DIMM's?

That alone complicates thing more than necessary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post
Why are you running three different DIMM's?

That alone complicates thing more than necessary.
Was just the way the build progressed, i had two initially, than bought another one, was than given three
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

So now you have three DIMM's anyone of which might operate at a lower or higher stock frequency and/or voltage. Have a look and see what they are.

Use CPU-Z.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #7

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Memory Specs:
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 14
Size:  42.2 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 11
Size:  54.6 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 5
Size:  49.7 KB
Name:  4.JPG
Views: 8
Size:  51.3 KB
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 4
Size:  48.3 KB
Name:  6.JPG
Views: 4
Size:  48.4 KB
Name:  7.JPG
Views: 10
Size:  47.7 KB

I am currently running on default bios settings, don't know if that matters


My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I wouldn't recommend trying to overclock any further as it's most likely the inconsistency in the DIMM's that's causing the BSOD's. I wouldn't at all be surprised if you got Memory Management stop screens because of this.

Get yourself 8GB of identical DIMMs and then you can worry about getting to 3.6 or 3.8, or at least (for the time being) remove the Corsair and Kingston sticks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #9

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post
remove the Corsair and Kingston sticks.
Yep.

You have 3 different brands populating all dimms - no wonder you're having an issue.

Stick with matched sets.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post
I wouldn't recommend trying to overclock any further as it's most likely the inconsistency in the DIMM's that's causing the BSOD's. I wouldn't at all be surprised if you got Memory Management stop screens because of this.

Get yourself 8GB of identical DIMMs and then you can worry about getting to 3.6 or 3.8, or at least (for the time being) remove the Corsair and Kingston sticks.
How do you get 8GB with Triple Channel memory? it's going to be 6GB or 9GB. Remember, he has 6 DDR3 slots and you use 3 at a time for Triple Channel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 i7 920 C0 Overclock 3.6ghz-3.8ghz help




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: i7 920 C0 Overclock 3.6ghz-3.8ghz help
Thread Forum
4.6Ghz cpu voltage 1.440 PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Want to overclock my i7 920 to 3.8ghz PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
AMD PHENOM II X6 2.8GHz 60+C Hardware & Devices
e5300 2.6GHz 800MHz 2MB SLGTL ? Hardware & Devices
i7 860 2.8GHz or i7 920 D0 2.66GHz? Hardware & Devices
Pentium M 2.6Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 80 GB General Discussion
1.6ghz pentium4 720p movies Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33